“This is NOT a Five Star hotel”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland
“This is NOT a Five Star hotel”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We were really excited about staying at The Langham - I've only recently relocated out of Auckland, so of course had stayed at very few of the hotels in Auckland for the 14 years I lived there. I'd only been to dinners and Awards ceremonies at The Langham, so when the opportunity arose, we decided to book a weekend there. We were flying back to Auckland for an event on Friday night (which The Langham was close to), so took advantage of one of their great deals and booked for two nights last weekend. Within five minutes of arriving at The Langham I was regretting our choice. My partner had Friday off, so flew up to Auckland earlier in the day than I did - he checked into the hotel before me and I know made a considerable effort with Reception to ensure that a room key would be readily available for me. On top of this, I also made notes in our booking about the timing, at the time I made the reservation AND took the trouble to phone the hotel directly the day before our arrival to ensure that there wouldn't be an issue with our checking in separately, and was assured that a note would be made on the booking about the separate arrivals, and the woman on the phone confirmed that I would be given a room key without any fuss. Notwithstanding that my partner and I had both taken the trouble to make sure there wouldn't be any dramas on check-in; notwithstanding that the booking was in BOTH names; and notwithstanding that MY credit card was used to secure the booking, I was treated like a common criminal when I arrived at Reception after a hard day at work, an hour's flight and a harried drive into the City and tried to check into the room (I might add, that having flown up to Auckland straight from work, I was dressed in business attire - I work as a lawyer - so I can't even blame it on being too casually dressed). Unfortunately I picked Officious Reception Guy. Even though I knew the room number and gave my name (asking for the key card being held for me), I was answer several questions, provide my full name and then to produce photo ID by Marcelo (?). I was essentially left feeling humiliated in front of everyone standing at Reception (as if I was trying to break into someone's room?!). I understand a basic level of security at a hotel - but COME ON?! This has NEVER happened to me in all the years I've travelled and stayed at top class hotels both in NZ or overseas. It has also ensured that I'll NEVER be booking with The Langham Auckland again - congratulations Marcelo!
Compounding this indignity - the ROOM we'd been allocated was a nightmare. We had been upgraded to an "Executive" room (yay!), but unfortunately had been given a "connector" room (not so yay), so that we could hear every single conversation and noise from the couple next door as they went about their *ahem* business. Not the most relaxing weekend stay when you're forced to whisper to ensure you don't disturb the people in the next room. For some reason, we were also given a room located beneath a herd of elephants (I may be wrong, they may have been boisterous children, I'm not sure). The continual stomping and banging from the floor above was bad enough at 8pm at night, but after laying awake between 1.00am and 2.00am listening to the sound of stomping, jumping and banging from the upstairs room I'd had ENOUGH. This is something I'd expect at a budget motel, NOT a hotel that markets itself as five star.
Thanks, but no thanks Langham - it wasn't fun, and we WON'T be back!

Room Tip: Choose a room that ISN'T a connector room and ISN'T underneath a herd of elephants.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We would like to reassure you that we do take our service levels seriously and as we want all our guests to feel welcome, we do apologise that you did not receive our best service at check-in. The hotel can be busy at times, and if there are noise issues with a room, we are happy for our guests to approach the duty manager to discuss these. Wherever possible, we will do our very best to accommodate guest requests.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Frankly, Langham Ackland doesn't reach the lofty hights of that in my home town of Melbourne where Langham bounces betrween #1 and #2 on Tripadvisor. I love the place and would recommend it to anyone.

Langham Auckland on the other hand offers a different feel. My wife and I booked in for 10 nights at an amazing rate. I came across a deal some 8 months prior to the planned trip and the price was so good I simply couldn't pass it up. And I have to say I am glad I didn't.

On arrival two things happened:

1) I asked the porter if I could leave my hire car in the driveway for only a few minutes to complete the booking in procedure. He suggested I consider the Valet parking offer to which I replied that as it was NZ $40 per night, I decided to look around to find a local car park offering a 10 night package for just under $15 per night - I couldn't pass that up. He immediately suggested that if he was able to secure a price of $20 per day via his boss, would I consider it. The answer was yes. This said, we now had to get out of having already paid for the other car park - a bit of a nightmare I have to say. We finally managed it, while having to utilise the foreign park for the first 2 nights. Having forgotten how hilly Auckland can be, it was a rude surprise to find the car park although only 250 metres away, the walk was particularly taxing, and it was an open air car park. Langham honoured their commitment and the Valet service was simply sensational.
2) When checking in the reservations person advised that as we were staying 10 nights they had given us a complementary room upgrade. You can't get better than that!

The overall feeling provided by the foyer and surrounds of the Langham is of a high standard, hence it was not unexpected to see the driveway frequented by Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin cars.

We had a room on the 5th floor and I have to admit I was a little disappointed at how old it felt. Grandiose in its day no doubt, however it is definitely showing its age. For example, whilst there the bathroom door handle became loose, the shower mechanism failed and the safe batteries started to fail. But who cares when the response from the staff was simply incredible. Immediate and effective.

The bed and linen was, as in typical Langham fashion, top class. The texture of the fittings, and the general feel was one of quality - if a little old.

However it was the staff that really made the Langham. They were simply fantastic, from the porters to the concierge, the telephone staff, front desk et al. Brilliant. One example was how housekeeping had inadvertently forgotten to replace some of the toiletries. Well, one call was all it took and within 3-4 minutes there was a knock at the door and an attendant - I kid you not - with hands full of soaps, conditioner and shampoo - enough for probably a week. Langham takes their service seriously!

The Palm Court wine bar is sensational, Langham offer their own bespoke beer (the Honey Dew was interesting, however we won't have it again!), the Great Room - well, great.

Anyway, the reason for my title is that it was really only once we had left the Langham and stayed at another 3 facilities over the following week that I realised just how lovely the experience had been.

Room Tip: As we found out, if you are searching for a better deal and have reason to expect it, ask the questi...
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the Langham in Auckland in the last year. The first stay was excellent and this stay was even better. The staff are 5-Star professional, efficient and friendly. They are genuine and welcoming.

The rooms are spacious and well designed. Comfortable bed, clean, fresh. The bathrooms are large and have all the needed amenities and while a little older wear their age well.

The breakfast buffet was also a nice touch with a large selection of multinational foods that were hot and fresh. The only puzzling thing was the 10 minutes it took to get a coffee delivered to the table. The coffee is made fresh and not poured but still the delay was a little longer than expected but small detail.

The hotel is located 2 minute walk from Queen Street so easy to access the many shops and restaurants. Nice 30 minute walk to the harbor and if you don't feel like a little hill climb grab a taxi back to the hotel as it is a bit up hill from the harbor.

I don't know if standard with every room but free WiFi was a welcomed as other hotels in the area charge up to $25 AUD per device (3 free devices at the Langham).

I will return (again) during my next stays and nice to have such a great property at a great value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Gorgeous hotel, food, spa, banquet hall. We stayed here for my wedding night and also had my wedding reception in the Great Room. Absolutely gorgeous! The food was amazing and it was so nice getting a massage at the chuan spa also. Love this place!

One suggestion to management though, if we're having a wedding reception here, at least offer a free massage treatment to the newlyweds, as a thank you for using the hotel, or even a free room or something to make us feel that you value our business.

But yes, cannot fault it. The langham is fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My first time here but I have stayed in many of the other top-end hotels in Ausckland.
I have to say I was impressed.
very friendly and accommodating staff and the Manager was very good at helping us with a minor issue with access to the cocktail bar in the late evening.
I have to say that I have travelled a lot and the Buffet lunch is up there with the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. There are 7 area's which each highlight a cuisine from a different country. Simply stunning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel enjoys a wonderful reputation, and deservedly so. It was my great pleasure to have 2 separate 1 x night stays in May, and on both occasions I was thoroughly impressed by the professional service levels in all departments.

Staff manage to actually engage with guests rather than simply read from the script or offer the all-too-common manufactured smiles and irritatingly patronising pat responses.

Nevertheless, in the five star category it takes real effort to stand out from the crowd with so much competition, and so many departments effecting the final customer experience, and ultimately the devil is in the details.

Details like:
1.The "welcome back" greeting on just my second ever visit and excellent front office service to speed thru' check in

2.The F&B quality for in-room dining (often a neglected area of service where choice is limited and so is quality). The Langham was right up there with presentation and quality. This was particularly appreciated when I arrived feeling very unwell on first visit, and had a chicken broth and sandwich which was just what the doctor ordered. Suddenly all was right with the world.

3.The eclectic but intriguing mix of dishes offered at the dinner buffet service in the restaurant. I enjoyed probably the best sashimi outside Tokyo, and was able to graze a number of small but perfect plates from each station. And service levels were maintained in both the a la Carte and buffet guest tables with seamless efficiency.

4.Breakfast again provided a lovely selection, and the small but special touch showing through once more with the fresh marshmallow on the saucer with the hot chocolate. Yummy!

5.An unsolicited room upgrade on my second stay which was a delightful surprise and very much appreciated.

6.Room service trays for light meals are bed trays...so good for a real breakfast in bed!

This Langham offers old hospitality for those of us how appreciate the difference between flash and quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your warm words and we are delighted that our staff made you so welcome and that you experienced such genuine hospitality. Good to hear that enjoyed the Inroom Dining experience. We have a focus on providing fresh quality options, so that our guests can enjoy a delicious meal at any time of the day. We shall hope to see you back again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Love the Langham! Everything from the service, the room, food and the spa was 5 star worthy! Location is great and the shuttle running every half hour down town was a bonus. Definately our first choice of stay in Auckland.