“Absolute Luxury :)”

Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Absolute Luxury :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Every time we stay at the Langham we feel special and pampered, some of that is to do with my 1865 membership (which I highly recommend) but even with out that it is just such a nice place to stay!

There is also a free shuttle down town and the food standard is incredible!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked the Langham in Auckland for a short business trip on the basis of my stay in the Langham in Melbourne and was not disappointed. The Langham beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in in a hotel anywhere in the world. The service was very good and the room was spotlessly clean. Some reviews of this hotel regard the rooms as dated, but I have always preferred my hotels in the grand older style, marble bathrooms and all.
The amenities are a treat, being those used in the Chuan Spa on level 2.
The first night I stayed the hotel was full of groups of teens in town for a Rhianna concert, so there was some concern it might be a noisy night, but I didn't hear a thing. Must be those dated thick walls!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here on 2 separate occasions during a tour around NZ and this was my favorite hotel. Rooms are beautiful and large with classy decor. Staff couldn't help you more. Reception/lounge area is impressive and the little bar does high tea. The spa is fantastic with a big outdoor jacuzzi and heated pool, plus steam room/sauna & ice shower, with rope and slippers in your wardrobe. Hotel is situated next to a street full of Japanese restaurants - the best sushi I have ever tasted! And carrying on downhill, you reach the busy shopping area of Auckland. Perfect hotel for business of leisure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel to stay in. Fantastic spa facilities although you have to book ahead if you want a massage as they book out. King size bed and pillows were amazingly comfortable. The shuttle is fantastic. Don't leave the "make up my room" sign on your door though because it will be mistaken for "do not disturb" and your room will not be ready after you've been out all day. Love the Langham. It's fantastic.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank CiaoBella2012
Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the Langham for two nights at the end of a brief museum tour to New Zealand. Originally I had booked an executive room but due to some administrative issue I was asked whether I would like a standard room instead, with complimentary breakfast thrown in. I agreed, but in hindsight perhaps I should have held out for my original choice - no matter.

The hotel itself is located around the corner from the top of Queen St., which is the main CBD shopping precinct. One can walk to the waterfront in 20-30 mins at a nice pace since its all downhill. The frontage itself is not inspiring, but the lobby and and reception areas are very chic - all stone and chandeliers.

My lower floor room was certainly very nice, clean, spacious and well maintained; there being enough space for a pair of armchairs by the window. The decor could be described as classic rather than modern. I personally would have preferred a more contemporary scheme. Of course, all the amenities which one expects from any decent 5* hotel were evident (i.e. coffee making facilities, mini-bar, extensive cable TV, iron etc etc). The bathroom was of a good size and clean, with excellent quality linen and toiletries. However, the bathrobes were heavily starched and felt hard and heavy rather than soft and comfortable.The wi-fi connection was disappointingly spotty and could definitely be improved! My dining experience was limited to room service (I never did make it down to breakfast) - a fresh tasting seared tuna with rice cakes and a fruit platter - very delicious, and promptly delivered.

All in all, the service was good and the room was nice. But yet somehow, I was slightly underwhelmed for my first stay with such a well-regarded brand. I cannot put my finger on it, but it seemed to lack a certain something. Nevertheless, this is a fine hotel and I would still recommend it.

PROS: Excellent and friendly service personnel. Delicious food.
CONS: Bit far from downtown Auckland. Bad wi-fi.

If my report helped in your decision-making, or if you just enjoyed reading it, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive and I do appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank ExLibris76
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel coincidentally when one direction were in nz to play their Auckland concerts. The 2nd floor is not swipe access and the general public can come and go as they please - which meant in this case hordes of teenage girls loitering outside our rooms at all hours, talking loudly and being self centred. Rooms 233 and 235 are the first rooms to be seen from the lift well, meaning we got all the noise constantly as the girls loitered hoping to spot the band.

In addition, the 'eight' restaurant is directly underneath these rooms and has wooden floors in that part - meaning every time someone moved or scraped a chair the noise travelled upstairs.

Although the duty manager was understanding, little or nothing was done to control restaurant staff after it closed (they scraped away willy nilly closing up and setting up the restaurant at 12am and 5am respectively). Security proved equally unable to control the girls - I did that myself by going out twice and grumpily telling them to move away and shut up.

I accept that this was unique to the band, but the noise from the restaurant is unacceptable. Unfortunately it's one of the few combinations of rooms with interconnecting doors, which we needed because we travelled with children.

The hotel is good quality but on this occasion I was left disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank antoniosk
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we do apologise for the noise issues you experienced over that weekend. We realise that it must have detracted from your stay. We will be following up on this.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were in Auckland to see Wicked and decided to stay at the Langham as it was within walking distance of the Civic and we had heard and read so many good things about the hotel. We were disappointed. Perhaps it was the room we were in but it was average. Our room was dated and seemed drab. It needed a makeover. On the positive side, it was a good size room, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean and quiet. It just didn't live up to it's reputation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple