“Beautiful Hotel”

Cordis, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel to stay in. Fantastic spa facilities although you have to book ahead if you want a massage as they book out. King size bed and pillows were amazingly comfortable. The shuttle is fantastic. Don't leave the "make up my room" sign on your door though because it will be mistaken for "do not disturb" and your room will not be ready after you've been out all day. Love the Langham. It's fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CiaoBella2012
Write a ReviewReviews (4,557)

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the Langham for two nights at the end of a brief museum tour to New Zealand. Originally I had booked an executive room but due to some administrative issue I was asked whether I would like a standard room instead, with complimentary breakfast thrown in. I agreed, but in hindsight perhaps I should have held out for my original choice - no matter.

The hotel itself is located around the corner from the top of Queen St., which is the main CBD shopping precinct. One can walk to the waterfront in 20-30 mins at a nice pace since its all downhill. The frontage itself is not inspiring, but the lobby and and reception areas are very chic - all stone and chandeliers.

My lower floor room was certainly very nice, clean, spacious and well maintained; there being enough space for a pair of armchairs by the window. The decor could be described as classic rather than modern. I personally would have preferred a more contemporary scheme. Of course, all the amenities which one expects from any decent 5* hotel were evident (i.e. coffee making facilities, mini-bar, extensive cable TV, iron etc etc). The bathroom was of a good size and clean, with excellent quality linen and toiletries. However, the bathrobes were heavily starched and felt hard and heavy rather than soft and comfortable.The wi-fi connection was disappointingly spotty and could definitely be improved! My dining experience was limited to room service (I never did make it down to breakfast) - a fresh tasting seared tuna with rice cakes and a fruit platter - very delicious, and promptly delivered.

All in all, the service was good and the room was nice. But yet somehow, I was slightly underwhelmed for my first stay with such a well-regarded brand. I cannot put my finger on it, but it seemed to lack a certain something. Nevertheless, this is a fine hotel and I would still recommend it.

PROS: Excellent and friendly service personnel. Delicious food.
CONS: Bit far from downtown Auckland. Bad wi-fi.

If my report helped in your decision-making, or if you just enjoyed reading it, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive and I do appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
12  Thank ExLibris76
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel coincidentally when one direction were in nz to play their Auckland concerts. The 2nd floor is not swipe access and the general public can come and go as they please - which meant in this case hordes of teenage girls loitering outside our rooms at all hours, talking loudly and being self centred. Rooms 233 and 235 are the first rooms to be seen from the lift well, meaning we got all the noise constantly as the girls loitered hoping to spot the band.

In addition, the 'eight' restaurant is directly underneath these rooms and has wooden floors in that part - meaning every time someone moved or scraped a chair the noise travelled upstairs.

Although the duty manager was understanding, little or nothing was done to control restaurant staff after it closed (they scraped away willy nilly closing up and setting up the restaurant at 12am and 5am respectively). Security proved equally unable to control the girls - I did that myself by going out twice and grumpily telling them to move away and shut up.

I accept that this was unique to the band, but the noise from the restaurant is unacceptable. Unfortunately it's one of the few combinations of rooms with interconnecting doors, which we needed because we travelled with children.

The hotel is good quality but on this occasion I was left disappointed.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank antoniosk
tlakl, General Manager at Cordis, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and we do apologise for the noise issues you experienced over that weekend. We realise that it must have detracted from your stay. We will be following up on this.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were in Auckland to see Wicked and decided to stay at the Langham as it was within walking distance of the Civic and we had heard and read so many good things about the hotel. We were disappointed. Perhaps it was the room we were in but it was average. Our room was dated and seemed drab. It needed a makeover. On the positive side, it was a good size room, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean and quiet. It just didn't live up to it's reputation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RestlessKiwis
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying here on my layover and really enjoying the hotel and the friendliness of all staff here. The complimentary shuttle service has been very efficient with the exact timings whenever I stay here. Special thanks to the super nice and friendly shuttle drivers. Cheers!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My favourite hotel, just keep coming back. Last visit we celebrated our wedding anniversay and had a fantastic time. The suite was very comfortable and our needs were catered to extremely well. As always staff very attentive. The Club Lounge facilities are excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening, again the staff extremely efficient. Also enjoyed the spa facilities which are superb. Had the best nights sleep for ages, the beds are really comfortable. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill B
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here on Sunday evening, quick check in and soon into our large room. Comfy bed, we checked out the lounge for a drink before heading out to explore, with helpful advice from the Concierge. Dined at Eight, I used the pool, steam room & sauna great facility. Love to stay here next time I'm in Auckland. I did some shopping in the gift shop too before leaving, cheaper than purchasing same product down town & it was gift wrapped too !

• Stayed: September 2013