“Fairytale service”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My Mum and I stayed for 3 nights in a studio suite recently. Executive level rooms mean that you have access to the exec lounge for a light breakfast, afternoon tea and evening driinks and canapes - wow - delicious! Overall - the service was understated and incredible; decor was old fashioned, comfortable, luxurious; ammenities great; beds - blissful as they claim; food was superb (Eight restaurant is amazing) and the feeling of the hotel was that you were welcome and right at home. Overall stay - absolutely gorgeous. I hope that The Langham in Sydney is as good. The high tea was gorgeous (better than The Ritz in Paris or London) and less expensive than The Langham high tea in Sydney. (I do think that there should have been no cost for the parking of our two guests who we had invited in for high tea afterall we were already guests in a Langham suite and having four people for high tea). It was a magical 3 nights.

Room Tip: Level 2 was great for my elderly Mum. Same level as pool and spa. Exec lounge is on level 10. Eight...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank D R
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Auckland

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We decided at 7pm on Friday to spend a weekend in Auckland and were in the Langham by 8:30. When we arrived reception gave us a complimentary upgrade on. Excellent room and a lovely pool and spa complex. The parking is over dear,especially as there is no choice. For room service the pizza was brilliant but the cheese board a disappointment. The location is great for central Auckland sights. Nice touches included chocolates on the pillows and the use of our names when we rang reception/dining. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Decided to try out the Langham Auckland because of TA reviews and also because the breakfast buffet sounded good from other reviewers. We’ve tried some of the great hotel chains like Four Seasons and ShangriLa in Asia so interested to know how a NZ hotel stacked up. All in all a very nice hotel with above average service levels. There’s even that perfumed smell in the lobby, that you get in the asia hotels even. Spectacular lobby and you can catch all the high tea ladies as you go to your room as high tea is served in their lobby lounge area.

I got a good rate on grabaseat hotels, 3 nights for the price of 2, ended up being on the lower floors but I didn’t mind, for $146 a night for a classic room, that’s a steal! I think the upper floor rooms are refurbished but the same size as the lower ones. To me light levels are more important than new furniture. No view to speak of, but I liked the opening windows and luxe bedding with soft mattress toppers. Only hitch was that the fridge was a bit rattly, they replaced that the next day.

I pre ordered the buffet breakfast before check in and got that for $29.95. A very comprehensive buffet breakfast for an NZ hotel, all you could eat and more. I believe it’s $39.95 if you just walk in, which is getting up there for breakfast.

I self parked in the adjoining Tournament carpark for $25 for 24 hours, multiple entry. You just punch in $25 on the pay machine and you can go in and out as many times as you like. There is internal entry from the carpark lift to the hotel. I don’t think I’d like to venture out on the nearby K Road at night - so good to have internal access.

I signed up for the Langham 1865 loyalty club on check in that got me complimentary internet access, awesome! Internet access was a bit sluggish at busy times though.

Tried the shuttle bus down to the Custom St area, once, very efficient and handy to get down to the main Queens St shopping area and ferry terminal. There’s a Westfield Downtown shopping mall across the road from the drop off point so you could get lunch there in the food court.

I did try the SPE bar and restaurant attached to the hotel for food. It was ok, nice crab cakes and you don’t have to pay the $10 room service surcharge. You can get a takeout pizza in a box to take up to the room which is very nice as well. I did that for my son one night.

So in summary, a pretty good hotel by NZ standards – up there with the Asian hotels, there’s lots of service and nice surroundings. Should have bought my bathing gear as there’s a heated outdoor spa pool attached to the Chuan Spa. The only gripe would be they need to check the rattly fridges in the lower floor rooms. I would stay there again when in Auckland.

Room Tip: Check grabaseat for good deals. Classic rooms are good value on grabaseat.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We stay at the Langham on a semi regular basis (as often as we can!). We really love the place. It is old school style and old school service. So many other hotels in New Zealand should stay a few nights here and see what real service is. I can't speak highly enough of the place. Oh, and Eight is wonderful. We hope to see you again soon Langham!

• Stayed: February 2013
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments about our service. We enjoy delivering a great experience for our guests and we firmly believe that excellent service is the way to do it! We shall look forward to welcoming you again and if you are not a member already, please do sign-up for our 1865 loyalty programme. It offers some great benefits for our frequent stayers and is free to join.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our first stay at a Langham Hotel.
We've stayed in a few Hotels in recent years but the Langham would have to rate as one of the best.
the service was very professional and nothing was a problem.
The room was very clean, comfortable and well maintained. Our room was an executive 601 which had a fantastic view over the city.

We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed the second time and again must congratulate for the hotel and crew. A nice appearance, a five star service, timely, friendly and effective response to all services, spa, laundry, concierge, bookings. The location may appear a bit far from the bay but in fact is not due to the perfectly organized shuttle. Ameneties are many and of good quality. Check-out did not have an express but I left my business card and key and not even driven far towards the airport I received a call with confirmation, that's service!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Glad you enjoyed your return visit with us - and thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and services. When you next stay, make sure you ask about joining our 1865 loyalty programme (our reception team can help you with this). It offers express check-in and checkout for members, as well as complimentary wifi and newspaper - and there is no charge to join. We shall look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2013

What a lovely thing to experience even just once!
Lot's of variety of food & teas, and even though i'm not a great tea drinker the quality was just fabulous. Benjamin provided the most fantastic service for us, introducing the different tea styles & food on the tiered plates. Nothing was too much trouble for him - Benjamin, you should get a raise!
I suggest that people only go in groups of 2 or 3 as the most comfortable seating is available for those configurations.

Room Tip: not applicable as only visited for high tea
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends