All you need to do it check into the Langham in Auckland, and you will be instantly transported back to the 1980s. I'm talking about the decor, not the service. The service is impeccable, but the hotel itself (with the exception of the fantastic spa and swimming pool that are very 21st century) is caught in a time warp, and let's face it, the 1980s were not a good decade...lots of ornately patterned carpet, brown walls, orange wood, dated furniture in the rooms and terrible piped music in the main lobby bar.
Having said that, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the bathrobe plush, the towels plentiful and fluffy, the rooms immaculately clean, and above all, the service top notch. From the porter who greeted me at the entrance through to the reception staff, concierge, housekeeping, and the technical support people in the conference centre, I encountered nothing but courteous, professional, charming service.
I could wish nothing better than for the hotel to undergo a makeover of the same quality as the top class spa and pool, and it truly would be a world class hotel.
The only other thing to note is that the hotel is not located down near the harbour, but at the edge of the Central Business District on top of a hill. The good news is that it's downhill all the way to the Art Gallery and the centre of Auckland, and if you don't feel up to the fairly steep uphill walk back to the hotel, they offer a shuttle service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed for guests who value heartfelt service and engaging experiences, Cordis Auckland is located in a lively uptown area, within walking distance of the city’s museum, galleries and shops. The 411 modern rooms and suites are meticulously tailored to your way of life. Thoughtful extras and stylish interiors reveal a genuine attention to detail, with the latest in connectivity including complimentary high-speed Internet (15MBps) and a free-to-use smartphone in every room with a built-in city guide. The contemporary Eight restaurant and sophisticated Lobby Lounge offer stylish places to dine and socialise, while peaceful Chuan Spa and a heated roof-top pool create the perfect urban retreat for guests to relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Splitty, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Cordis, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- Cordis, Auckland New Zealand