“Probably the best hotel in Auckland”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Probably the best hotel in Auckland”
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the week before Christmas and have been here several times now. The service is impeccable from the moment you arrive - they clearly take staff training and attention to detail to a whole new level. The rooms are spacious and well set out - you certainly know you are in a classy establishment! The gym and spa facilities are superb too with an outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi plus the usual steam and sauna - so far in front if what you find elsewhere. Restaurants are excellent plus the ground floor bar area is perfect for a casual meeting or afternoon tea - again the service is top notch.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SteveW1963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Once again a pleasant stay, personalised to our needs. We find this hotel hard to beat in Auckland. Our room had an unpleasant smell in it so when I rang about this we were moved within minutes.

Yes it is true it could do with some upgrading of furnishings and decor as these are getting a bit worn but I love the 'olde world charm'. Would love seperate bath and shower and would like to see the tiles that are missing in the ladies herbal steam room and out door jacuzzi replaced which I repeatedly comment on, but these things aside from the moment we get there I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE!!!

Try the coffee in the Winery...amazing with complimentary biscotti and condiments

Worth staying several times to get membership and therefore benefits of being an 1865 member

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lellley
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about your hotel and we are pleased to hear you enjoy staying with us, and that you appreciate the personal service and the benefits of our loyalty club. We agree, it really is worth joining for those who are likely to stay more than once. You will be pleased to hear we are planning to refurbish the steamroom later this year which will address the issue you mention. Thank you for recommending the Winery – we are going to be refurbishing it shortly but you will still be able to enjoy the delicious coffee and biscotti as always.
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We arrived at the Langham at 1.30am after 26hrs of longhaul travel - we were not disappointed. Comfy bed, great minibar, excellent powershower and all the complimentary items that you get with it, complimentary newspaper, free internet use etc etc. It is walkable to town but it's up a steep hill. It's also not very near the attractions so I can understand people's comments on its location. It's not too far way from Thrifty car rentals on Kyber Pass so we were very happy about that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff were pretty friendly (especially the staff at the breakfast buffet). I stayed here for work, but regretfully would not stay here by choice. The hotel is very old and out dated. Rooms are clean but quite scrappy. I felt like I had stepped back to the 90's. There are much better hotels in Auckland with better location than the Langham.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry you were disappointed by your stay with us, but it is good to hear you found our staff welcoming and the rooms clean. We do place a high priority on service for our guests. We are also planning a refurbishment of the lobby area shortly, which will be given a lighter and more contemporary look. Should you stay again, it is worth booking an Executive or Club Room, both of which have a higher standard of decor than our entry level Classic Room.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Langham is a lovely hotel. however, the rooms are tired. The major problem is the location -- it's off the beaten path. The hotel has a shuttle service which will take you to the shopping but it's a far walk to the museum and unwalkable to towntown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location is in Grafton and it is a bit of a walk in to the CBD. In addition, the hills around the city mean a steep uphill walk back, so where comfy shoes or pick a different hitter if you aren't physically able. Hotel is fine and service is great, but rooms are a bit outdated and small. We got a good deal on Orbitz though. Beds are comfy, so if you are looking for a big comfy bed, this is a great spot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about your stay, and we are glad you appreciated the service and our very comfortable Blissful Beds. These are a favourite with guests, and are made especially for us. Should you stay again, please do ask our concierge for details of our regular shuttle bus service which delivers to the downtown waterfront area and to the city shops and restaurants. It makes a return journey too, so you can avoid the walk back. City Link buses also stop right outside the hotel, and service the Auckland Museum, Parnell village and other city attractions.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I wanted something a bit special for our first few nights in Auckland after our excruciatingly long flights from Glasgow. The Langham was recommended by a friend who lives locally and has used it for special anniversary treats - and the TripAdvisor reviews supported her recommendation. When I lived in Auckland years ago this was the Sheraton - I knew it had the added advantage of being very well located on the corner of Symonds Street and Karangahape Road- my sister lives on the latter and was lending us her car for our trip, plus it made it easy for us to visit her and see the city centre at the start of our trip.

So: well located luxury hotel at good summer deal rates! We loved the un-reconstructed (read: needs a decorative refresh but we didn't care) dark wood decor- very restful on the eye, plus the pale pink free toiletries and other giveaways were lovely. Quite the full range too: they even had talcum powder which I haven't seen anywhere else but which is useful in Auckland's humid summer climate.

The bathroom was good, and it had all the usual amenities- big screen TV, dressing gown and slippers, complimentary teas and coffees including herbal teas and real coffee for use in a cafetiere. Was *really* quiet for a city centre location, which was a huge draw for us, and the very effective blackout curtains were a great feature for jet-lagged tired travellers too.

The room service food we had was outstanding, as it should be in this home of great cuisine (Auckland I mean). We also used the laundry service which was expensive but really top class- the way our clean gear was delivered in a pretty basket with pink tissue paper wrapping was a nice touch, very old school.

Of course, it's the breakfast which shoots this hotel to another level. Unbelievable. If your eyes water at the cost, swallow your misgivings and go for it. It will keep you going all day anyway and the pleasure of the huge range of top quality food stuffs (including Movenpick ice cream and an amazing hot chocolate) is an excursion of its own. The service is very down to earth and friendly despite being a "posh" hotel- as it should be in New Zealand.

Quibbles? Yes. On our second day they did not refresh our teas/coffees, so we ended up with a dirty cafetiere (coffee plunger) and no tea bags, sugar or milk. No problem, these things happen in large hotels. I phoned down to inform them and they said they would send someone up straight away. An hour and a half later, no sign and we were going out. So I stopped on the way out and spoke with them in person- many apologies, promised that it would be fixed by the time we got back late that evening. We got back at 11:30pm and it had not been done. I was really annoyed because it is a basic service of any hotel and travelling folk need their tea and coffee- especially when they are jet lagged and may be up for some time! Plus, it seemed very lax for such a posh hotel to have not responded twice. I went downstairs to speak with the night manager and - I hoped - actually collect a clean cafetiere and coffees/teas/sugar as my partner did not want us to be waiting up for an intrusion into our room by staff. The night manager was very apologetic but didn't appear to know where to get any of the stuff we needed. Ended up with a bowl of dirty sugar from the bar I think and some tea bags, and a promise to leave a message for the morning staff with an explanation of what had happened.

The next day we were checking out and I was furious by this stage that nothing had been subsequently done or mentioned. The woman checking me out could tell something was wrong but it was her colleague who picked up on it and came over to say they had got the message and they were sorry, there had been a miscommunciation. I let them know that missing out on fixing something so basic three times is a bit more than "miscommunication", and that for people like us, staying at a place like the Langham is a big treat and I was very disappointed- it may seem trivial now but being in your room gasping for a cuppa and not being able to have it even after several repeated courteous requests is not acceptable.

At that point they comped us one of our breakfasts (for two people at the Langham that is a good discount- breakfast is pricey) which we accepted and left on good terms, but I was very disappointed at having to "make a fuss" for something so obvious and basic, especially as my partner was standing behind me cringing as British people (I'm a New Zealander) do not always like a fuss! So this all left a bit of a bad taste.

Another very small quibble: for a place that does virtually the only decent hot chocolate (at breakfast) that I had in a month in New Zealand, putting Milo sachets in the room tea/coffee selection instead of some nice hot chocolate mix was disappointing! But only for this chocolate fiend no doubt.

To end on a positive note- when I had to contact the Langham from the UK regarding a few booking matters I found them very helpful and efficient even though I was phoning in the middle of their night! I would certainly recommend them but caution folk about possible poor customer service- I would love to know in more detail how the "miscommunication" noted above happened.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple