“Chaun spa”

Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Chaun spa”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The lady at the spa desk argued with me over payment and wouldn't let me leave even though my treatment was pre paid! She still wanted my credit card then after my partner arrived to show her the voucher she still wouldn't accept it and he ended up having to open up his personal banking details to prove he had paid. We were left embarrassed and infuriated and certainly not relaxed. I contacted the spa to inform them of the situation and the manager never bothered getting back to me.

Changing rooms were messy and floors were slippery and wet... Titles were missing from steam room and showers and shower heads not working properly. Met a friendly American tourist who also agreed asking "is this actually the best auckland has to offer..seriously??"

Won't go again and wouldn't recommend

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sophiec722
tlakl, Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are deeply sorry for the way you were treated. We have spoken with the staff member concerned and can assure you that this won’t happen again. We will be in contact with you shortly to apologise and speak with you in person.
Amanda Heger, Chaun Spa Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New Plymouth
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had work in Auckland and booked a night at the langham. Rooms were nice, bed comfy, gold and pink fleur de lis motif adorning hotel 'goodies'.

Had an okay cocktail in the bar reminiscent of bubble tea - not a very extensive list. After deliberations and a walk around the smorgasboard restaurant Eight, decided to go for that as I couldn't decide what to eat and the a la carte was a bit limited. The range of food in the smorgasboard was innovative with a sushi bar, crepe stand, indian, dim sim, fresh cooked steaks, venison, sausages, a seafood stand, great salad selection, good looking pre-prepared desserts ( i had a crepe though). Reminded me a bit of the dinner at orbit (sky city) with a bigger selection. I don't think it was worth $85 a head! I had a selection of seafood grilled (and overcooked while I waited). The cheese selection was lovely.

in reaching to turn off the shower and adjust the temperature I hit my head on the stone facade (behind the shower curtain) of the bathroom dresser - stupid me - I did it twice!

When I went to pay I was told that if I paid by credit card there would be a two person surcharge which i found a bit ridiculous!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Kym007intheBay
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is exceptional, I travel for work and play on a monthly basis and can't go past staying at the Langham Hotel, the service is excellent and beyond five stars, the rooms, atmosphere and facilities and excellent and world-class!

Room Tip: Try wot-if for the best price and the mystery hotel option
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Auckland
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed on an indulgence package which included a night at the Langham, dinner and breakfast at their EIGHT restaurant and bubbly on arrival. From being greeted by the doorman in the top and tails to the staff at the restaurants, you were treated like royalty.

Upon check in I was advised our room had been upgraded as they had spare rooms available so that was a great start! The room was plush and filled with amenities with everything from bathrooms to shaving kits and even old fashioned talcum powder!

The highlight was the meals in EIGHT. What an amazing restaurant. A fixed price of $80 allows you to pick and choose from eight different styles of restaurants all in one spot, where the personal chef's cook your requests until your hearts delight.

From check in to check out the whole experience was amazing. Something very special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed in the Executive room at the Langham Auckland. The highlights of stay would have to be the spa and pool and also the buffet breakfast. We stayed at the jacuzzi and pool area, primarily the jacuzzi because it was winter time. Buffet breakfast selection was good and up to the five star standard. The room itself was comfortable, not too big but the most comfortable bed made up for it. Eight at the Langham is great for lunch too, a little bit pricey but again, it's the best buffet in Auckland. the Tiffin high tea also gets a special mention. My bridal shower was held there and since there were too many of us to sit in the tea area, we had high tea at Barolo. The setting was nice, plush furniture, curtains and nice ambience ensured I had an elegant bridal shower with the ladies. One downside would be the location, it's quite far from the nice restaurants in Auckland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Recently stayed in The Langham for four nights over Christmas. We had been hoping for some rest and relaxation as we were only in town for a close friends wedding and had seen the sights on a previous trip.

The first nights sleep could not have been worse. After calling front desk to complain about a party in the room above (which was swiftly dealt with by security) we were then awoken in the small hours but people screaming and shouting out the back of the hotel. In the morning, when my girlfriend went down to "offer some feedback" on our stay so far we were upgraded to one of the rooms on the higher floors which have soundproof windows. I don't know why the lower hotel windows don't have soundproofing but our new room was quiet, comfortable and much better.

The remainder of our stay was really good, though I don't think we return to The Langham if we ever find ourselves in Auckland again. The spa was a highlight. Also, I believe all rooms in hotels such as these should have free wi-fi these days.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hagi_Bhoy
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. We are pleased that our staff were prompt in sorting out the disturbance on your first night, and offered you an upgrade to make the rest of your stay more comfortable. Good to hear you were able to relax at Chuan Spa – it provides a welcome and relaxing haven for guests. We have recently changed our internet policy, making three hours of complimentary wifi available for guests in our food outlets and public areas. We also offer free wifi through our Loyalty programme, 1865. We do hope you will consider staying with us again.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed January 8, 2013

An overall good experience. Our room was in need of updating - especially the bathroom which still housed a 1980's (or perhaps even earlier) shower rose and faucet... However, we did acquire our room through a deal and chose the cheapest option available. The hotel's grand and elegant reception area makes up for any disappointments. I would recommend the buffet breakfast - the best and most impressively organised buffet breakfast I have attended. I would not recommend the room service menu (unless you like the texture and taste of rubber). Definitely take time out to enjoy their high tea...escape in the luxury.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple