“The place to stay”

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

Stayed here for 8 nights in early July 2010.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The location is absolutely fantastic. 1 short block from Skycity. 6-7 min walk to the harbour. 5 min walk to Westfields shopping.

Room was serviced daily when I was out and about (bed made, clean towels). Room was on the 8th floor, very quiet at night and slept great every night. Room service food was very delicious the couple of times I ordered in. The staff were very friendly and helpfull throughout my stay from reception to conceige to room service.

My only minior issue (and it is minor) they had a new or "in training" staff member who was left on his own at times at the reception desk, who couldnt promptly answer some basic questions. Once I had identified he was in training I just made the effort to leave him alone and lookout for the more experienced staff for help or guidance.

I got a tremedous rate staying at this hotel. Intend to stay no where else when visiting Auckland again within the next 12 months. Hopefully after all these great reviews their prices dont go up too much, hehe.

All the best

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelman2500
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Travelman2500, thank you for your detailed review, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel on your return and I would be more than happy to assist with your accommodation requirements, katie_scholes@rydges.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel,
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
scottish kiwi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

great weekend had in Auckland with friends an wonderful hotel to stay in. Staff were A for awsome! Could not of been anymore helpful!
Hotel is oh so handy to everything is the city! Rooms were clean an tidy....abit on the smallish side, but we did have two double beds in it........so cant be picky!
Thanks Rydges Auckland....You can expect us again in the near future! :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank nzkes
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Great feedback thank you - I'm glad the team were of assistance with their friendly personlised service.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed here twice when in Auckland, overall it was a great hotel. I liked the free Wi-Fi in the lobby which was nice for a Rydges hotel, and the location was close to everything we wanted to do. I would definitely recommend people staying here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Athex
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your recent stay at Rydges Harbourview Auckland and how well it suited your needs.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us, we look forward to you returning some day soon.

wollongong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

I stayed at Rydges Auckland for 2 nights last week after attending a trade show in Auckland. I chose to stay at Rydges due to it's good location and the fantastic rates that they were offering (I paid AU$72 per night) and I wanted to be in a location that enabled me to do some sight seeing before I came back to Australia. The hotel is just a few minutes walk to the harbour (great restaurants & bars) and Queen Street (good shopping) and one short block from Skycity. The location is very central and walking distance to many of Auckland's attractions. I had one of their new rooms which was very modern & clean with an open plan bathroom wich was small but had everything I needed. Didn't have a view of the harbour but I didn't expect a view at the very low rate I was paying. My room faced an apartment block in a side laneway which was a bit noisy during the night, it seemed that young people congregated in the laneway till very late. The room and open plan bathroom was very modern & clean, not large, but well appointed. Reception staff were accommodating and friendly, hotel in a good location. Room service food was good, lots of restaurants in walking distance if you want to eat out. The Chinese restaurant at Skycity is fantastic, food is a bit on the pricey side but very very good!
If you are looking for a good quality hotel at a good price point in a good location I would recommend Rydges Auckland.

1 Thank lynWollongong
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 4, 2010
Dear "lynwollongong"

Thank you for your recommendation and posting on tripadvisor from your stay with us a few days ago. It is always great to hear that the hotel's location and product meets our guests expectations and to share your feedback on attractions in the area.

Hoping to welcome you back to the hotel in he future.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a business trip.
The location is good and the the room was very recently renovated and was very clean and modern. The staff were attentive and the room rates were very competitive.
The free wireless internet worked fine, was also great. They had sky Movies, which is a big plus.

Three complaints:
1) My bathroom appeared to be designed for a wheelchair and it had a persistent smell of mold. I complained twice but nothing appeared to be done. Perhaps the design of the bathroom made this hard, not sure.
2) The bed side lights are ceiling mounted downlights. This is plain silly and a really bad design.
3) The hotel breakfast rate was outrageous (as usual for most hotels). When there are so many cafes scattered around the building offering great food at good rates, I never ate in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you "luckydog428" for you feedback on your recent stay. Breakfast in "stk am" is a force to be reckoned with a huge selection for our guests, I'm sorry the cost was not justifiable on this occassion.

Thank you for your other points to note - we will look into those comments for you.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed at Rydges Hotel for 2 nights in the weekend ($95 a night - special rate). Requested a king bed before arriving and that was done for me. Check-in was easy and hotel reception answered my questions with a smile. My room was in the new part of the Hotel, room was a little small but it had everything i needed. Shower was great with the two options of shower heads - rain shower or normal, but no door on shower so water went everywhere but no problem really if you have bath mat down. We enjoyed the big comfy robes.
In the lobby a woman was handing out cards informing female guests that they can get a free glass of Moet if you go to the bar with red lipstick on - so i took my bags to my room and came back down to get a glass and headed straight back to my room :) nice start to my stay!
I rung up to get some fresh trim milk, it arrived in a huge jug to feed a small village and she asked me to sign for it ($3.50) i have never payed for fresh milk in a hotel like Rydges before so i refused to take the milk or sign receipt! A lovely manager rung my room a short time later and apologized for the confusion, apparently they used to charge for milk (6month ago) and obviously the staff member had no idea was was going on. I recommend they have regular staff updates informing them on changes and for them to sign for this? Situation sorted, i finally received some foc fresh milk.
View on other hand was terrible, but i understand having a hotel in the middle of the city can have its views obstructed by apartment buildings...i guess it was entertaining to see what 50 other humans do while at home. If i hadnt been so busy at SkyCity conference centre i would have asked for a room with a better view.
Sat night i got back to the hotel at 10pm and really wanted some room service, i tried calling 4 times but each time it went to reception as no one at room service was answering the phone, all the receptionist said was "oh they must be busy" .. well no **** sherlock! No alternate offered. NO room service in end and went to bed a bit hungry which isnt ideal.
Needed extra time in morning, i rung up and asked about checking out a few hours later and it wasn't a problem.
Needed some papers photocopied and they offered to do it for free which was nice but they were not sure if the photocopier did colour copies, which i needed. They didnt bother trying to find out though.
All in all, i payed a smallish about of money to stay in a comfy yet small room with an obscured view in central Auckland and really enjoyed the shower and free glass of champagne.

1 Thank ACE_86
Dear "ACE_86"

Thank you for your detailed report on your recent stay at Rydges Harbourview Auckland, all in all it sounds like you had a good value stay especially with a welcome glass of Moet through our recent Friday promotion held in June.

The Hotel is well located for delegates conferencing at Skycity with a short stroll 1 block away it is ideal.

I'm not too sure what happened with the room service at 10pm on the Friday night however I have addressed this with the team as it is not acceptable that an order was not taken for you.

Thank you again for your comments.

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

My partner and I regularly stay at Rydges when we can get a good deal ($130.00 incl parking or under) and this time we were given a room in the new tower.

The room was nice although the bed wasn't one of their dream beds which was a bit disappointing as those beds are fantastic. The new bathroom was great with a fantastic shower - the option of having the rain shower or the wall shower is a nice touch. The only thing I felt would have made this better is a door on the shower as the water went everywhere. This room seemed to be smaller than the 'old' rooms although there is good storage for luggage.

The only real downside to our stay was getting our car after we had checked out. We called prior to check out to order this and when we were checking out, one of the staff came back with our keys saying she couldn't drive the car as it was a manual. That was fine as I assumed she had given the keys to the other staff member getting the cars but after waiting for 20 minutes and seeing lots of other cars being brought round, we asked the other staff member who found our keys had been placed back in the cupboard with no note that the car had been requested.

Other than this small glitch we had an enjoyable stay and will definitely be back although might request an 'old' room with the dream bed rather than a new one.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and its nice to know you are a regular guest at Rydges Harbourview when travelling to Auckland.

All of the new rooms definately have a Rydges Dream Bed!
Maybe email me your room number or the name the booking was under and I will double check the room and bed as this is puzzling!

I'm sorry about the mix up with your vehicle being returned from Valet Car Parking.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

katie_scholes@rydges.com