“Not a 4 star hotel by anyone's measure”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Northcote, Vic
“Not a 4 star hotel by anyone's measure”
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Arrived late evening after a delayed flight. Staff were friendly enough, but no offer to help me with luggage to my room. Upon entry to my room, the electricity was not operational at all, and the room (and entire floor) had a musty smell about it. After going back to reception, the staff went to the room and advised that the electricity was now fixed, and that the room would cool down "after about half an hour or so". The electricity was fixed, but the main light in the room continually flickered between off and on, and the room was still very musty. There was no offer of moving me to another room. I did go back to reception and request to be moved, and was finally given a room that was more acceptable. This room did have flickering lights though, which may be a side effect of the renovations that were being conducted at present.

There was no option of breakfast in the room and the room service menu is limited. The full buffet breakfast at NZD 31-00 per head was limited in choices, and overpriced. The restaurant is temporary until completion of the renovations.

The hotel is centrally located, but is off the main streets, and the outlook is over the back alleys.

I would say stay clear of this hotel at least until the renovations are completed.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, February 7, 2010
Thank you for updating the site with your feedback.

Please accept my apologies that the hotel standard you experienced did not exceed the 4 star level of service expected.

The hotel renovations are almost complete with our main restaurant opening in just a few weeks.

We hope you will return to experience our true Rydges hospitality in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Not the best Rydges Hotel I have stayed in but value for money, lots work going on around hotel but does not cause problem to guests, Location not the best but close to Skytower where the free circular bus stops, only used hotel bar once and found it very expensive, internet was 6 dollars half hour so go over the road to internet cafe and get one hour for three dollars. Room service very poor, some days no tea or coffee left and other days rubbish bin not emptied and on one occasion the rubbish was left in a bag in middle of room !!! maybe this was a staffing problem at Christmas, reception staff helpful, overall an OK hotel but if ever I visit Auckland again would look around for alternative hotel.. Taxi to airport costs fixed price of 60 dollars.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank curatokid
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, June 13, 2010
I hope you had a safe return trip to Spain and enjoyed your time in New Zealand. The building renovations have now been completed but I am happy you didn't find this too much on and inconvenience during your stay with us.

My apologies the daily room service was not upto standard during your stay over the Christmas period.

We hope you will return to the hotel to experience Auckland's newest rooms at some stage.

Regards
Katie Scholes
Executive Assistant Manager
London, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed at the Rydges many times during the period 2004-2007. It was known as a mid range hotel and used by many business people who did not have alrge travel budgets. I always found it very mediocre but the company I worked for insisted that I stay there.
I only booked it last week becuase it had a fantastic deal on wortif.com and my expectations were not high.

Well, I was totally surprised. The hotel has gone through a big refurbishment. The restaurant is no longer on the ground floor and has moved upstairs. In its place is a very chic lounge bar and coffee bar. The reception area is very minimalist and glam. When i arrived the concierge immediately offered to park my rental car and the receptionnist must have overheard my name because when I got the counter she had my form out for a few quick details before giving me my key cards.
The room (which was a standard room) was gorgeous. King size bed, big plasma tv, fantastic work desk with internet connection and a plug right there (you would be surpirsd that so many desks in hotel rooms have no plugs for laptop batteries anywhere near them). Lovely soft furnishings and the most extensive and luxurious array of bathroom amenities I have ever seen (even a mud facial mask!).
Bathrobes, complementary plunger coffee and mineral water, great full length mirror. It was pretty much perfect actually. Oh and when I rang room service and asked if I could just have a hamburger and fried (which was not on the menu) they said of course and the most amazing hamburger arrived 15 minutes later. Finally, the bed was firm and there were a variety of different pillows to choose from.

This is a superb hotel for business. Right in the middle of the CBD, lots of great restaurants close by, a gorgeous room, great staff and they do fantastic coffee at the little takeway coffee bar. Talk about exceeding expections! I will definitely be booking Rydges when I next go to Auckland.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I was here from 6/12 - 12/12/09 Staff were very helpful and friendly. Close to everything. 1 particular staff member made my birthday special for me when I told her it was my birthday and she bought me a piece of cheese cake with happy birthday written on the plate.
I would suggest that if you are going to use a cab to get back to the airport pre book the cab the night before especially on weekends.

Only hiccough I had was when I came back to my room after being on a day tour all day was that my door was open and the door to the cupboard to where the fridge was also open and I dropped my things into the room and went down to reception and reported to them about the door open.

The restaurant isn't too bad for meals but it could do with a little more variety especially for room service. Some smaller meals would be great.
If you are doing a day tour and it leaves at 7am be aware that the restaurant does not open until 6:30am and you generally need to be waiting for the bus 10 mins before the pickup time.
It was disappointing that to use the internet you had to pay, if you need the internet go across the road to the internet cafe.
If I ever come back to Auckland I will definately stay here and I would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Cardiff
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Paid well in advance to get a reasonable rate on one of the best rooms on the top floor as was first stop after a long journey on honeymoon. This is a well located hotel, clean with good standard of rooms and service. It also has underground parking which is useful. There is an excellent spread for breakfast. Can't go to wrong but probably a bit overpriced.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, UK
Reviewed January 4, 2010

The room was nice but a bit small with two queen beds. The entrance and dining areas had been refurbished with only carpet coverings a give away to anything else going on. There was no smell or noise from any works, if at all they were going on. The room was nice but a bit small for two queen beds. There was quite a lot of paint marks on the wall which seemed a bti of place considering the new furninshings. The bathroom was nice too. The staff went out of their way with advice and very helpful. The Irish pub nearby made us a great dinner despite their chef being on holiday. I think it was called the Muddy Farmer. It is a very short walk to a main shopping street and only 2 mins from the Sky City. The free bus can take you to the harbour where I would reccomend a ferry to Devonport, it is gorgeous. The offer we took with free parking was great, I only wish we could have had breakfast included too! Please note in contrast to other reviewers, the parking in Auckland is ot of control with costs very high. Directly outside the hotel parking costs 7 days a week, publlic holidays included. From 8-6 with about $2 for 30 minutes, I think!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank majormoz
blackpool
Reviewed December 24, 2009

I spent one very comfortable night here before flying home to UK. A perfect location, comfortable rooms and a perfect breakfast. Wuill stay again next time. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2009