“Service lacking”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Brisbane area
“Service lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Did not appreciate a false fire alarm approximately 3.15 am. The room was clean and comfortable but the bathroom did not have hand rails etc., and clambering over and into a bath for a shower was difficult. Room service efficient and satisfactory but selection from menu very limited. Front desk staff appeared more intent on "gossiping" amongst themselves and guests were left to struggle with large amounts of luggage.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, November 4, 2009
Dear dendad,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Rydges Auckland.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with the false fire alarm. This is a very rare occurance for the hotel and was unfortunately caused by a manual fire switch in one of the corridors.

I would also like to apologise for the display of unhelpful service by our reception team during your stay. I can assure you that this will be followed up on to ensure we do not experience a repeat of this.

FRONT OFFICE MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Irvine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on my first visit to Auckland. I was contemplating between Rydges and Hyatt. I am glad that I picked Rydges. This was my first time staying at a Rydges hotel. My room had an L shaped window which had a corner window facing the Sky Tower. It was nice to look out and watch the jumpers go down the tower. The hotel is in good location. It is not next to a busy street, so it was quiet inside my room. The bed was very comfortable and overall the room was clean and tidy.
From the hotel, you can easily walk to the Sky City to catch the hop on/hop off bus. Also, you can walk to the harbor where you can try out many different restaurants as well as walking distance to the ferry building. I tried the Lamb Shank dish at Mecca restaurant, it was good.
Some tips to first time visitors to Auckland:
- Join the Rydges priority to get discount on hotel rates
- Use the express shuttle from airport. Get the round trip ticket to save money. Just tell the driver to let you know the nearest stop to Sky Tower. The hotel is a block away from Sky Tower.
- Check the travel/activity center inside Sky City. I saw some discounted tours/activities
I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again next time I visit Auckland.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank kuyajojo
Dear kuyajojo,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Auckland and your time in Auckland City.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

Having been staying at a number of Rydges hotels over the last 18 months, I must say Rydges Auckland is not at the top of my list of preferences. The room I stayed in was quite small compared to other Rydges hotels, and so were the restaurant and bar (which to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt, were only temporary until the renovations are complete).

On the plus side, the location was perfect and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear ng_ryan,

I am sorry to hear that Rydges Auckland is not what one of your top preferred properties in Auckland at this stage.

I can assure you that with the renovations that have just been completed on the cafe & bar area, that these areas are now very spacious.

It is great to hear that you found our team friendly and it would be great to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland to experience our new facilities in the near future.

Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

Booked a double room on Qantas Ready Rooms. Was advertised as having city views - our room looked straight into an office in the building next door!

Room had 2 small double beds which had the noisiest starchy sheets, so when we moved slightly we woke each other up.

When our room was made up on the second day, the teabags weren't replaced so I rang room service to ask for some more. The lady who didn't speak great English told me I had to come down personally to the restaurant to get some, otherwise they would charge me to come to the room! I was so frustrated I rang Reception who sent someone straight away (no charge, of course).

As a Rydges Priority Club member, I was entitled to a late checkout. It seems the staff didn't care about this. One of them was knocking on our door at 10am to check if we were still there. About 5 mins later someone was ringing out room (we didn't answer). Another 10 mins later someone else knocked on our door again to which I told them we were leaving soon but weren't we meant to have a late checkout? He said yes but didn't explain why they were trying to push us out the door. Extremely annoying & left a bad taste in our mouths.

Having said all this, the hotel is close to all the shopping & a short walk to the Viaduct, so a great location... if that makes up for everything else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Holiday-hussy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay of Rydges Auckland.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay. Each issue will definitely be reviewed with the relevant department to ensure it is rectified.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland on a brighter note in the future.

Somewhere in Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Good Deal: My mother and I stayed at this hotel in mid-July, 09. We got an incredible deal - NZD 276 for three nights in a Superior Double Room with Buffet Breakfast included. We had earlier booked the room at a higher rate. We found a lower rate on hotelclub and used the best rate guarantee from Rydges to get a free night stay and they also matched the rate (NZD 138). Although hotel rates are much lower during winter,we believe this was an incredible deal.

Location: We initially chose this hotel because of it's location. When we arrived at the hotel, we were certainly not disappointed. The hotel is located across the street from Sky Tower and you can reach any of the attractions in the CBD by 10 minutes walk such as Queen Street (shopping street), the wharf, Sky Tower, Victoria Market, etc. The location is the best part about the hotel.

Room: We had a Superior room with two double beds. Beds were very comfortable. Room was very spacious. Our room faced the Sky Tower. Other than that there was no "view". The room looked fresh and new. Bathroom looked dated. They should replace the bathroom mats. You could see fungus on it. There was a minibar (which we did not use) and ample supply of tea, coffee, and milo. We never ran out of them, even when we had several cups of coffee/tea.

Hotel: The hotel was being renovated during our stay. The reception was moved to the first floor. On our departure date, they were painting the entrance and people were not able to use the main door and had to squeeze themselves through the door that the concierge used. Not very convenient, but I don't know what else they could do. We did not use any other facility offered by the hotel.

Buffet: Breakfast was good, but we won't buy it separately at NZD 30/person. We had it included in our rate. There were a variety of hot and cold foods, although they did not change anything during our 3-day stay. On the final day we were bored!

What did we see?: We visited all tourist places in the CBD. For places that we couldn't reach by foot we used the LINK bus (costs NZD 1.60/person to any destination). The green coloured LINK bus goes to most tourist attractions. We went to Auckland Museum (Domain) and Parnell. We took a tour package from Great Sights to see the Glow Worm Caves in Waitomo. Trip was fine; but we were not able to do the boat ride because the river was flooded. This package was booked by the hotel staff. They were very helpful. The tour bus picked us up from the hotel and also dropped us off.

Transportation: We came to the hotel using a shuttle (NZD 36 for two people). It is cheap, but a group in the shuttle went to a suburb of Auckland and it took us ~1 hour to reach our hotel. Otherwise, it shouldn't take long if all people in the shuttle are going to the CBD. We went to the airport using Discount taxi (NZD 35 if paying by cash). Make sure you arrange this taxi in advance (talk to the concierge).

Conclusion: We had a positive impression of the hotel. The location was fantastic. The room was great and very comfortable. In terms of value for money, we got more than what we paid. Service was very good. We would certainly come back here, but this time in Summer. Winter is a not a good time for NZ sightseeing. Sign up for Rydges Priority Guest card (it's free) and you get some benefits (late checkout at 1 PM, etc.)

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank Sigmetrics
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel is in an excellent location. A pleasant 10 - 15 minute stroll from the Britomart (train and bus station). Note that the Britomart is across the road from the Wharf where the ferries leave from to go to the islands in the Auckland Harbour. Some renovations happening on the ground floor of the hotel so check in is temporarily located to the 1st Floor. Not an issue at all. I spent one night here with my Mother. We visited Sky City which was a five minute walk away. We found a lovely Food Court close by for dinner. Many places to choose from for meals. Accommodation was two queen size beds (could have been doubles!) and we paid about $120.00 for the night. Excellent value.

• Stayed August 2009
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 23, 2009
Dear kiwi1963,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Auckland.

We are happy to advise that our brand new reception area is now complete and is located back on the Ground Floor in its original location.

We agree that our location is perfect for access to the Sky Tower & Casino and the harbour where the ferries and Britomart are based.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland in the future.

NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

Hotel only one block from restaurants, sky tower and hop on , hop off bus pick up point. During our stay reception moved from ground floor to 1st floor. Restaurant extremely over priced for breakfast and dinner. Hence no one there. Had a room with a disabled bathroom which I requested. Bathroom modern but floor flooded and could not shower alone. Needed help from my husband as no chair or close rails to access towels. The last night we stayed the toilet would not flush and had to get housekeeping to fix it while we went out for dinner. This problem was rectified when we returned. The rooms were adequate size and had undergone renovations. Location is good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family