“No Security”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed August 15, 2009

first of all as u enter to the reception there just 3 tables,no hotel logo,no name.there might have been a renovation or something the wall was just left like tht.as soon as u enter into a hotel.i felt like its like a backpacker stay nota 3 star or a 4 star hotel.well i tried to check in then the receptionist cant find my name.well eventually he did.i paid for breakfast but no mention of tht or no vouchers.i had go and ask them abt the breakfast.then entered into the lift.i the lift doesnt have any security.most of the hotel lifts require u to swipe ur room card inorder to get there but here its not tht case.even an outsider can enter into any floor. especially with the bars and pubs around its easy to get into trouble.
thn entered the room.the room looked alright.found trouble with the flush.have to press it quiet hard and the water flo from the shower is not enough.the rubber mat near the bah tub was full of fungi.i have stayed in a 3star hotel in thailand .they supplied free water bottles and not here. as they say u get nothing for free in nz and aus.the room is equipped with only wired internet access.helloooooooo most of the hotel have wireless acess for internetthe bead and pillows were comfortable though. being a saturday night the floor was noisy with drunk people shouting and running around.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2009

Dear ryanpsyd,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us.

I would like to apologise for the issues that experienced in the bathroom of your room duiring your stay. I also do appreciate your comments regarding the reception area. The hotel was undergoing some changes with reception and I am happy to advise that the new reception area is now complete.

In regards to the security of the hotel. I can assure you that the hotel has not experienced any security issues to date and the entry to & from the entry of the hotel is monitored at all times by security cameras. We do treat the security of the hotel and our guests very seriously and have various other methods aswell as the cameras to ensure of this.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland on a brighter note in the future.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Auckland

Reviewed August 10, 2009

We checked in on a busy Saturday night and were quickly directed to the reception desk. Although a little confusing being on level one of the hotel, the concierge were great in guiding us to the elevators.

Check in was fast and pain-free. The young gentleman that check us in was great, explaining where in Auckland to eat and what to see and do. Upon arrival in the room, bags had been swiftly taken up and were waiting for us in the room.

The beds are the most comfortable beds ever and the room is very modern and looks like it has just been refurbished. There is a LCD flat screen and the view of the harbour was just breath taking.

Although we didn't dine in the hotel restaurant, it looked very popular in the morning during our check out.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for comfort in the heart of Auckland City.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank frequent_flyer1988

Dear frequentflyer1988,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Auckland recently. I agree the beds are extremely comfortable!

I am happy to advise that the new reception area is now complete and is located back to its original location on the Ground Floor.

We do hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I booked this hotel via travelbug website as they had cheapest rate inclusive of buffet breakfast. We were going to Akld to watch the Cirque show and chose to stay in the city to be close to attractions and sky city. When we checked in the asian guy in reception seemed to brush us off as quickly as he could, I think when he realized we didn't book direct thru them ( I could only assume as I don't know why), he also mistakenly said we were booked for 1 night when I booked for 2 and I had to show him a print out of my confirmation (good thing I did print it bec otherwise, what then?!?!) and when I asked about the bfas to confirm, he replied "well if it says here (pointing to the print out) then I guess" (what was that suppose to mean?!?! if there was no print out then what?!?! what kind of answer is I guess? its just a simple yes or no ans!!! I'm sure I'm not the first one who booked thru travelbug). Anyway we made our way to the room which was seemed okay although some may probably find it a bit on the small side. BEWARE- the bathroom toilet flush does not flush everytime and would require a mighty push in the wall to let it go, even then it most of the time won't flow with presured water. ALSO the shower water pressure is very very very weak. You'd probably get more out of pouring a glass of water on yourself. Or unless you're used to pitterpatter of water to take a shower with or have enough patience to shower for ages. As mentioned, we were there to watch Cirque and when I asked reception for help on how to get there and what transport to catch, etc, they knew nothing and basically WAS OF NO HELP. They did not even try to at least find out the info for us or offer anything that would help. Also, bec the so-called hotel was undergoing some maintenance, on Monday morning I was awoken by very loud machinery drilling or something I don't know at about 7am which was very very annoying and disturbing when trying to rest and catch some zzz's. It would seem to be a bit polite to at least give their occupants some warning or even a friendly heads up about it, but obviously bec they have already got our money they simply seemed not to care about providing any service at all. Then on our last day, someone was knocking on the door and when I checked who it was it was a guy who said he needed to fix toilet and showed list (he had a whole A4 of them which was prob all the rooms in the hotel!) and I told him we were just fixing to leave so he should just go back. The only thing that made our stay there somewhat bearable was that the buffet breakfast was really good and wide variety of food selection available, also the location is really central (just next street to sky city) and that the pillows were really comfortable. Other than that, there is nothing that I can say that would make this place even worthy of staying at again and I ADVISE AND URGE YOU TO FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY AT AND MAKE BETTER USE OF YOUR MONEY!! I am sure you will find another hotel at least satisfactory and that would meet even the basics. Believe me- Spare yourself the pain we went thru. (and I will bet that the manager who replies to previous reviews here would not even reply to mine as it is evident they only reply to "nice" reviews)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank enzedwelly
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

Dear enzedwelly,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges Auckland based on your recent stay at the hotel.

We are always disappointed to hear of any unsatisfactory guest experiences and I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your stay. We do usually pride ourselves on a high level of service and we clearly have fallen short on this occasion.

I can assure you that each issue that you experienced has been passed on to the relevant management members of the hotel to ensure we rectify these areas requiring improvement.

The hotel has addressed the noise issue that you experienced early in the morning with the appropriate personnel of the project. The hotel is investing 24 million on refurbishing the restaurant, bar and conference facilities (due for completion October/November) as well as the reception area which has just been completed this week. An 81 room addition in a new tower is also under way and is due for completion March 10. During this time we are doing everything we can to minimise the impact on our guests and I can assure you that your feedback is definitely taken on board and we will endeavour to rectify any potential noise issues in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback as this is helpful to us. I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you further if you wish and you are welcome to contact me any time at the hotel.

Reviewed July 4, 2009

Rydges Auckland is a nice hotel and is in a great location. The rooms are a bit small and the bathroom could you a refurbishing but in general it was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2009

Dear texasworldtraveller.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at Rydges Auckland.

It is great to hear that overall you enjoyed the hotel and the location. We agree that the location is fantastic, being a few minutes walk from the Sky Tower and the Viaduct area.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2009

Spent a night here with my wife and her parents. We arrived before check-in and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in accommodating us.

The rooms were a standard hotel size and clean and modern. Great view of the Sky Tower. Very centrally located in the middle of Auckland city.

Breakfast was brilliant - many choices for everyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2009

Dear Ginzalad,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time in Auckland and at the hotel. We too agree that our extensive breakfast selection has something for everyone.

We hope to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 7, 2009

We booked a Bed and Breakfast package at Rydges for our wedding anniversary on the advice of a friend and were very pleased we did. The hotel is very centrally located just a few minutes walk to Queen St, Sky City and the Viaduct. We had our car valet parked - a bit pricey at $28 overnight, but convenient and fast on arrival and departure. We were upgraded to a Deluxe room with a late checkout of 12 noon as I am a Rydges Priority guest. Unfortunately the hotel was very full as it was a long weekend, so we couldn't have a room with a Harbour view, however we were given a 13th floor room with a city view and a great view of the Sky Tower. Check in is on the 1st Floor...a little strange....no Lobby at the entrance, just a concierge/carparking desk and public seating area.
The rooms look as if they have been newly refurbished and everything was spotless. The LCD screen on the wall welcomes you by name when you switch on the TV. Cool! The room had a King 'Dream' Bed which was quite soft, but I actually prefer a firmer mattress and found I had a bit of a sore back the next day. However my Husband loved it.
There was a two seater couch and coffee table and a desk with internet connection, which we didn't use. The mini bar was well stocked and the wardrobe had two white bathrobes and an iron and ironing board and safe. Shower over the bath, nice NZ toiletries, which you could purchase larger versions of if you liked them. Hairdryer in bathroom. Air-con efficient and quiet. Breakfast was buffet style from 6.30 - 10.30am on the ground floor in the restaurant. Fabulous buffet, which included a selection of cereals and dried and fresh fruit and nuts and seeds with yoghurt. Miso soup and rice. Either scrambled or poached eggs, sausages, bacon, lovely braised mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, potato croquets and corn fritters. A selection of cold meats with a variety of sauces. A variety of breads, which you could toast on an open toaster yourself, plus rolls and pastries. Fruit juices included orange, pinapple, apple, spirulina and raspberry. Perked coffee was freshly made and there was a selction of different teas.. The waiting staff were friendly and attentive and everything ws filled as soon as it was half empty. For NZ$135 for the package we thought this hotel was very good value for money. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaxdan
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2009

Dear Jaxdan,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Auckland and that you especially enjoyed our extensive breakfast buffet.

We are happy to advise that reception is now located back on the Ground Floor which we agree is a more convenient location.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland in the near future,

Front Office Manager - Rydges Auckland

Reviewed June 5, 2009

I always stay at the Rydges in Auckland and am never disappointed. It is well located to the main street (Queen) a couple of blocks from the casino and a short walk to the harbour which has some fantastic restaurants.

The hotel offers great value, through the priority guest system I received a room upgrade and free internet during my stay. So check out the internet deals available when you book.

If I was to list any negatives it would be that it doesn't have a fitness centre or pool. You can get a free pass to a gym about 5-10 minute walk from the hotel, which is sufficient. The hotel seems to be undergoing some new construction, so maybe there are some changes coming in the future.

You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Dear Damobet,

We are happy to hear that you are one of our Rydges PriorityGUESTs and that you stay with us regularly.

We too agree that being a PriorityGUEST brings great value to your stay and that it is very worthwhile checking out what current specials the priority programme has on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Front Office Manager