“Ideal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Leeds, England
“Ideal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

Great location. The hotel is about a two minute walk from the Sky Tower and ten minutes down hill to the marina and water front.

A nice hotel, nothing fantasic but ideal for a short stay in Aukland.

When booking, we requested a Sky Tower view. We were on the sixth floor and had a great view of the Sky tower.

If you have a head for heights, try the Sky Walk at the top of the Sky tower, the views are superb and its a fantastic experience. No handrails on this walk, just a full body harness and overhead safety line to keep you safe - awsome.

The revolving restaurant at the top of the Sky Tower was also excellent. Ideal for a romantic or family meal with a great view. Booking essential.

All in all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CalverleyRhino
FOMRydgesAuckland, Front Office Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, January 27, 2009
Hi CalverleyRhino,

It is great to hear that you liked the location of the Hotel. We too think it is great to be within walking distance from so many attractions within Auckland.

Hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

A group of us stayed one night at Rydges in Auckland for business. We stay at a lot of hotels. This was my first time and I must say that it was a very refreshing experience. The room was very modern, very clean and quiet. The staff were very accomodating and helpful. We booked at www.ratestogo.com and got an excellent rate. The package included a buffet breakfast. The only gripes were (although minor) waiting twice the amount of time (they ask that you give them a 10min warning) for the Valet to bring our rental car around (which costs $28 per night extra) on the two occassions we requested our car. And only one of the three elevators were operational which made for lengthy waiting times when we needed to shuttle to and from our rooms. Other than that the breakfast was delicious and one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts I have had in recent years. There was a wide selection and everything was topped up regularly. The hotel is located pretty centrally. It is a 3min walk to Queen street and downtown Auckland and a 3min walk to Sky City casino. I would definitely stay there again and look forward to my next visit.

• Liked — The quiet room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank QJB75
Hi QJB75,

Thanks for your comments on your stay at Rydges Auckland. It is great to hear that you found your stay at the Hotel refreshing and that you thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast that we have on offer in our Circa Restaurant.

We have taken on board the comments regarding the valet service and we will look to see if there are any improvements we can make to avoid this occuring.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

I stayed at Rydges Auckland for 3 nights over a 2-week period. The hotel's major attraction is its proximity towards city centre, e.g. Queens St., Sky Tower, etc.

Room is ok, w/ LCD TV and spacious beds in both rooms I stayed. But the rooms maybe too small if shared by two occupants since they don't have too much sitting spaces.

Also, services are less than satisfactory.

On my first stay, I asked for a later check-out at 1pm, which they agreed. So I went out in early morning and came back to my room at around noon. But I found that the housekeeping person had removed some of my sweater and paper I put on my working desk (my luggage was still in the room)! I checked and could find my sweater back, but the paper was gone. Obviously, there was no communication between front desk and housekeeping on my late-checkout.

In another occasion, I would like in-room internet access, but could not connect even after folloing the instructions in the room. I called operator but the person could not resolve neither. No further assistance was provided.

I would consider staying at this hotel if the rate remains as attractive. But somehow I would expect more professional services.

Last but not least, I am a Rydges priority guest. They advertise that PG would receive welcome-back drinks, but I never received this even though I stayed at different Rydges hotels in 3 occasions.

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank KeepDiscovering
Hi KeepDiscovering,

Thank you for your comments about your experience at Rydges Auckland.

Please accept our apologies for the downfall in service you have received from our team when trying to fix your internet connection and the confusion regarding your late checkout.

In regards to the Rydges PriorityGUEST programme - you are indeed entitled to a complimentary drink every time you stay and I am very surprised to hear that we have not followed through on this occasion. I will ensure that our team members are briefed on this to ensure that all of our proirity members are receiving their entitlements.
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August 08 and will stay there again when we go back to NZ next year.

The thing we liked most about this hotel was the location. It is just 1 block from Sky Tower so no matter where you go you always know how to get back. Plus all the buses stop at Sky Tower so it is easy to get around the city - very handy if you don't feel like walking although this is how we mostly got around.

The room was a fairly good size and had a view of Sky Tower. Despite the inner city location, there wasn't much noise even though we stayed over the weekend and there is a pub almost across the road. There are lots of food choices nearby so you don't have to eat in the restaurant if you don't want too.

Overall a good hotel with clean rooms at a good price in a great location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Check out staff were very slow
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travel_bugs29
Hi travel_bugs29,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Rydges Auckland. We too agree that our location is great within the CBD. We are close to many attractions and restaurants & bars - all within walking distance. Because of our location, we are also very lucky to experience very minimal noise from the street and have had many other great comments from our guests to the same effect.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2008

Stayed here for one night before we set off on our trip round NZ. The room was spacious with a great view and the biggest, comfiest bed I've ever slept in (with great pillows). It also had a huge flatscreen TV. The reception staff were very polite and helpful and there was also lots of information on NZ provided in the room. If I had to say anything bad about the hotel it would be that the bathroom was a little disappointing. Other than that, I couldn't fault the hotel.

• Liked — The room, view and location
  • Disliked — Poor shower
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank his7sec
Hi his7sec,

Thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Rydges Auckland. We are happy to hear that you found our beds the most comfortable ever and that our staff were friendly and helpful.

We hope to be able to welcome you back the Rydges Auckland in the future.
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and it was really a good choice, This is a newly refurbished hotel and has a very modern look, The bed is very comfortable and the room had LCD tv . The room we got has fantastic view one side to the sky tower and the other side to the harbour bridge.

The location is really good, you can find lots of restaurants, shopping and just 2 minutes walking to the sky tower.

I liked everything there and we had a very pleasant experience staying in this hotel.

TIP : you can get best rates from the hotels website and you can register to be a priority member and get 10% off its rates and also they have lots of promotion.

• Liked — The Cleanliness, The Newly Refurbished rooms, The Bed, The View, Location
  • Disliked — No Pool, One of the restaurant waitress was very rude,
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
rhysjonesauckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
Thank you so much for your feedback. I was very pleased to see that you had a great stay. I was surprised to learn that one of my team was less than hospitable and I will follow this up as a priority. For your information the hotel is continuing on the path of transformation with 2 new restaurants, gym, lobby, porte cochere & conference space along with 81 new rooms. Most of these projects will be completed mid way through 2009. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland soon.

Best regards

Rhys Jones
General Manager Hotel Operations - NZ & Fiji
Rydges Hotels & Resorts
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Rydges in Auckland for a couple of nights in October 2008. The location was great - right in the middle of downtown. It was close to the Sky Tower, shopping, and many restaurants. While most things were within easy walking distance, you could also catch a bus nearby. The staff we dealt with at the front desk were efficient and helpful, and our room was very nice - large, modern (in terms of decor and room ammenities) and comfortable. Overall it was quiet, however there was a bit of construction noise during the day. The room was nicer than I expected for the affordable price we paid. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — modern, comfortable room, convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends