“Poor service at hotel”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was kept waiting for my room from 08:30 until 14:05 hours, although being told every 40 minutes or so that it would be ready within the next 40 minutes. I was also told that normally rooms were not available until 14:00 hours.

If they had admitted at the beginning that I could not have my room until 14:00 hours I could have done something with my morning, such as a trip or sight seeing, instead of hanging around.

The second point was that the towels were left on the floor for changing, after day 1, but the maid only hung them back on the rack, not even folded. The shampoo was not renewed either, even though the current one was empty. We finished up buying a shampoo.

I would not choose this hotel again, although I had already booked one night in February- it will be the last night I stay in a Rydges hotel.

Room Tip: do not go for the expensive harbour view room. The view is poor.
1  Thank J M C
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

You are absolutely right, we should have let you know from the moment you arrived that check-in was not until 2pm so you could enjoy your morning. I am sure the staff had every intention of getting you settled into your room early but other circumstances prevented this and let you down.
I hope your stay with us next month is much more enjoyable and stress free, we look forward to having the chance to change your initial impression of us and give you the experience you deserve.
Quenton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,224)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Whilst there was nothing 'wrong' with this hotel, we found it to be a little strange. I think the architect might have been on something when designing parts of this hotel. For instance, part of the restaurant area was closed of by big curtains leading me to wonder if there was a stage behind. Another touch of the dramatics can be found in reception with a projection of flames promoting the in-house restaurant (are flames a good image for either a hotel or a restaurant???).
The room was on the smallish size, but just about adequate for us. To get there involved a slightly tortuous corridor to navigate with suitcases, especially when there people (and their trolleys) servicing rooms.
Despite being modern and relatively comfortable, I really think the designers could have done a much better job.
Whilst there is nothing seriously wrong with the hotel, there is also nothing special. I would imagine that there are better hotels of a similar type in Auckland. I would certainly stay elsewhere if I were to visit the city again.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the lift
1  Thank slatBH

Thank you so much for your review, we find the hotel can be quite quirky sometimes which can be interesting and fun for our guests, obviously not to your liking though for which I apologise, it can be difficult to appeal to everyone’s taste.
Thank you again for your comments, we take all reviews and suggestions very seriously so you can be assured your experience with us will be discussed to see if and where changes may need to be made within the hotel.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Great Service, Venue hire, accommodation, food, everything! We hired the rooftop venue for an engagement party - they took care of the rest! stress free and very impressive, wowed every guest. Highly recommend this venue. the ease of staying in the same hotel after your party is very good. The party organisers were both lovely ladies.

Room Tip: If hiring venue go rooftop, TOP QUALITY
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

The Rooftop is an awesome place to hold a function, the openness and the views make it extremely unique and very special. I am so pleased your engagement function was so stress free for you and your guests and everyone loved it. I will most certainly pass on your lovely words to the lovely ladies involved.
I hope we get to see you all again very soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was our first port of call after arriving in Auckland. Picked up a car at the airport and had absolutely no trouble parking it in secure parking at the hotel. Asked for a quiet room and it was. The rooms were large with two good sized beds (double double) which were comfy. Were pleased to see tea making facilities and a small fridge in the room. The bathroom had a great shower in it. In fact we loved the hotel. Hopefully we will return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

It is so great to read you loved the hotel, we loved having you here! It certainly sounds like you had a smooth trip into Auckland and a lovely stay with us at the hotel, I am so pleased we were able to be a part of your New Zealand holiday.
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Friendly, helpfull staff. Nice and clean rooms with space and fresh bathroom. Free and fast wifi. Good bar with very friendly bartenders. Easy and cheap to get taxi from Rydges to airport. Walkingdistance to harbour. Very close to City tower.

1  Thank ingelahoglid

Thanks for your review, you pointed out all the qualities that we at Rydges Auckland are most proud of, our friendly staff, comfy beds and great location are among the best comments we receive so we are glad you found this too.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This property was a wonderful sight for sore eyes and aching bodies who'd been traveling for 31 hours! The room was outstanding, very spacious and equipped with everything we needed The bed was so comfortable! The bathroom was quite large, with 2 sinks and 2 shower heads in the shower. The living area was great and equipped with a tv, desk and wet bar area.
The only complaints we had were: we had to pay $34 for parking per day :-/
Also, we asked the front desk person if the bathroom was in fact equipped with 110 volt outlets,
as the info in the book in the room stated. He was unsure. The bathroom didn't have signage
Nor did it have converters, so were afraid to use it.
The property location was absolutely perfect!! We walked to the Sky Tower and to shopping
on Queen Street.
Will definitely stay tree again!

Room Tip: The views aren't outstanding, so don't expect that. I think all rooms are about the same as...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I can only imagine the feeling of relief you must have felt to finally check-in to your hotel room after 31 hours of travelling! The bed and shower must have been extremely inviting after so long.
I am so pleased you found the bed so comfortable; we do get rave reviews about our Dream Beds so I am glad you loved them too. I hope you were able to get out and about around Auckland after catching up on some well deserved rest and see and do as much as possible while in town.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon, hopefully without the day and a half of travelling first!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Went to eat at the restaurant and after 15 min we still weren't offered any drinks. Waitress did not come by at all and what made it worse was that we were the only ones in the restaurant! We walked out! Also concierge gave us wrong information on which side of street to wait for the bus. We waited 1.5 hours on the wrong side! I went to another hotel to ask and they gave me the correct information. Not very happy being this was the first time ever to NZ.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, your comments are extremely disappointing to read and I am very sorry you had this experience with us. I can assure you our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant food and service is usually extremely amazing and our concierge service is constantly raved about, but obviously we have slipped up on this occasion and for this I apologise.
I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon as we would love the chance to be able to change your initial opinion of us and give you the experience we are well known for.
Kindest regards,