“Excellent value for money”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Maybe the in some of the room the view is not the best, but overall I think it's one of the greatest hotel in Auckland. Refurbished, comfortable, friendly staff, nice rooms. i love staying here. Compare it to some of the other same star properties Rydges Auckland is the best of them. I can definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We normally try to stay away from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write your review on Rydges Auckland, it is very much appreciated and I hope it is not too long until we can welcome you back once again.
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed at this city centre hotel for 2 nights before embarking on our journey home. The hotel is ideally situated just a short walk to the harbour and only a 200 yards from the Sky tower. The hotel is very modern and what you would expect from a 4 star city hotel. The rooms were very clean and all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We too advantage of the 10 per cent discount for eating dinner at the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was excellent.

Room Tip: The hotel has 14 floors. So if you don't like heights ask for a room on one of the lower floors...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you John and Viv, I hope you had a wonderful time exploring New Zealand before heading back home. Your review is just lovely and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we loved having you. Thanks also for mentioning our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant, the food is fabulous and well worth a visit when staying in town.
I hope you decide on another New Zealand trip soon, we would love to have you back and there is always more to see.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I travel to Auckland few times a year and always stay at different hotels. Rydges Auckland is located in the center of CBD Auckland and only a minute walk to Skytower, Intercity coach stops, supermarket, shops, and restaurants but the inside of hotel/room was always quiet. The hotel is actually modern looking and my room had modern facilities as well. I felt comfortable to be staying at Rydges with friendly and professional staffs and modern room. I will stay at Rydges in Auckland again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kody11
What a lovely review, we certainly appreciate you sharing your experience with us and others of your recent stay at Rydges Auckland. Our location is fantastic with everything like attractions, shops, restaurants and transport right on our doorstep.
Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon. We especially love your review title..
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights and enjoyed the experience. Nice quiet room with good natural light. Clean and neat with good facilities either in the hotelier nearby.
Good sized room.
Llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric3853
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased you had a wonderful experience with us during your recent stay and I hope your next isn’t too far away.
Leicester
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Spent two nights after a long flight from the UK great rooms superb bathroom, and a great view off the Sky Tower next door , you could view folks sky jumping off the tower from the bedroom, food could not fault it , great place to get around the City.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a Sky tower view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TezFoster
It certainly sounds like you had a great experience with us during your short stay in Auckland, did the view of the Sky Jumpers tempt you in trying it for yourself? It’s something I have been meaning to do but something always (conveniently) comes up...
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights pre cruise and were satisfied with the room and checkin and location. The problem arose when checking out, what looked like half the entire hotel wanted to check out at the same time. This was made worse by the arrival of the disembarking cruise passengers wanting to check in ! There did not appear to be any extra staff to deal with the masses of people all with luggage. Not well enough organised.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PennyLane77
Wow, I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise. That’s something I would love to do with my wife sometime in the future. Thank you for your review, I apologise for the delay in your check out and I hope this did not hinder your arrival for your cruise.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The check-in process was fast and easy. I was surprised that I wasn't offered the opportunity not to join their loyalty program though, as that seems to be standard when you don't already have that number on the booking.
I stayed in a Deluxe Harbour View Room, although the harbour view was minimal. Most of the view was of an apartment block that was on the opposite side of the road.
The linens are in desperate need of being replaced. The pillow covers are turning yellow, and the bed sheets, were in places, literally threadbare, and the bed sheets still had little black hairs on them. Not what I would have expected for this type of establishment.
If I can continue to be critical, for a deluxe room, the furnishing wasn't exactly great. There was mismatched furniture - most things were of a dark wood, but even then they didn't match, and then this odd, modern glass desk which didn't fit in at all. A single piece of artwork in the room, while other main walls remain bare. It doesn't affect the quality of the stay at all, but it goes to speak to the attention to detail (or lack thereof).
One of the main reasons for staying at this property was the great location in that it was quite central and within walking distance to most of my meetings. However, there was significant rain during my stay, which isn't totally out of the realms of possibility in Auckland, however there were no umbrellas in the hotel room, and none at reception - sorry sir, but we're all out. Seriously?? This was not just on one occasion, but on consecutive days. Simply amazing. I have serious reservations about staying there again, especially when there are other hotels for a comparable price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests as your thoughts and suggestions often bring to light what we may be missing and what you think would make your stay with us more enjoyable. And you are right, it may be time to order in some new umbrellas, you only notice just how many go missing on a rainy day when the next one comes and there now aren’t enough to go round – I do apologise for that.
I hope on your next stay with us you find some lovely improvements and have a much more enjoyable stay.