“Great place to stay and explore the area”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Tewantin, Australia
“Great place to stay and explore the area”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights while exploring some of the North Island. Comfortable rooms, great service and good food. Location is great, close to Sky Tower, main shopping areas and Ferry Terminal. Free wifi in room should be at every hotel. They have only just started this and it's a great idea. Little bit slow at times but mostly very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Yes our free WIFI service is only relatively new but we have found it has been extremely appreciated by all of our guests, I am pleased you found it helpful during your stay with us too. I hope you were able to fit in a lot of great North Island sites during your 4 nights in Auckland, there really is so much to see and do. There is always something new to see so I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Best regards,
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This was a business trip and I didn't need to use many of the hotels facilities. The room was clean and modern, and I was given a room high enough above the city to be quiet with a view out to the Habour Bridge.

The gym was smaller than I thought it would be, but it has the best treadmills I've seen.

Walking distance to CBD Auckland.

Would come here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, I am pleased to read we ticked many of your boxes for when you travel on business. The gym is quite small which is why we have made sure the equipment within is top quality and easy to use.
It's great you would choose to stay with us again; I hope this is not too far away.
Warm regards,
Quenton Donald
Sydney , Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

After being let down badly by the Waitakere Estate I needed to find a room at a moments notice in Auckland and so I headed to Rydges in Auckland Central. They could not have been more helpful. Really lovely room at a very good rate. Room was large, big enough for Queen bed, separate desk, small table, extra chair. Bathroom was modern and everything worked as it should. When I went to the front desk to see if they had a room available Dainya's service was friendly, helpful and efficient and it set the tone for the brief stay. Food from room service was straight from the restaurant and was excellent. And FREE wi-fi - happy!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael Y
I am so pleased we could help you out on such short notice after an obviously disappointing experience elsewhere. It was great to have you here for your brief stay and it’s wonderful to read your experience with us was excellent; you are right, the room service food is fantastic restaurant quality and the free WI-FI is a huge bonus.
I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Quenton Donald
Adelaide
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I arrived for a 2 night stay on a quiet Sunday evening. With just a day in Auckland on business I brought my skis over with me for a few days skiing on the South Island post my work commitments. Only a skeleton crew on at reception, including the duty manager. My cab driver dropped my skis, boot bag and suitcase at the door. "Can someone help me bring my gear up to my room?" I ask. Other staff are busy so without hesitation the duty manager jumps in and takes my stuff up. At many other hotels I have stayed in I doubt this would have happened. Great hands on leadership. Impressive. More generally, very good breakfast, excellent location and a spacious and very well presented room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
The staff at Rydges Auckland certainly love making you feel welcome and totally at home when you are a guest in our hotel; it was great having you stay with us for those two nights and we love that you had such a great time with us.
I hope you were able to quickly get through your work commitments and have a blast on the ski slopes down South, I have heard it’s been an awesome season this year with great snow.
Looking forward to your next stay with us very soon,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I just spent one night at this hotel and overall it was very good quality. Room is of good size, and large enough table to do your work on. Free WIFI is a bonus, all hotels should now do this. The view was not the greatest, onto a tall block of apartments, it was like a scene from Hitchkocks movie " Rear Window" looking into the lives of lots of people. I guess in the middle of a city, you will not always get a great view. I had dinner in their restaurant called STK. Very good (see separate review). Buffet breakfast was of good quality. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
It’s great to be able to set up your computer on the desk and still have enough room to spread out your work documents, we realise that at Rydges Auckland many of our guests are corporate business guests so it was important for us to make sure there is ample work space in all the rooms – the free WIFI is definitely a bonus and is certainly not the norm for many hotels yet. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal in our stk Restaurant, it’s great not to have to travel far for a great meal while away in a different city.
Thank you so much for your review, it’s great to hear from our guests and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've stayed at quite a few Rydges hotels, but this one has to be the crown jewel in this chain.
After attending a conference here for 4 days, I have to say the staff are simply wonderful, the restaurant very good, with both ends of the spectrum food and price wise. Rooms, very comfortable, yeah the bathrooms may be showing slight signs of age, but that's being picky.

I'd throughly recommend this hotel for any purpose, in particular running a conference for any number.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and your very kind words on your recent stay with us. I will be sure to pass your lovely words on to all the staff, they will be thrilled they made such a great impression on you.
Thank you for recommending us for conferences, we have so many different options to cater for all sorts of different events, the Rooftop Terrace is fantastic for those summer events that are really just around the corner.
Thanks again, I sincerely hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location, a short walk to the waterfront and about 200 metres from Sky Tower. Parking is right next door in the Sky Tower parking lot a very short walk, $18 on weekends and $24 week days, we got pass outs from the hotel, it's all quite easy. Check in was fast and easy too! We also had breakfast included in our package, it was average but there is a coffe club up the road and other places to eat around the area. Our room was on the 4th floor, room 416, very modern and comfortable, the view wasn't great but we were there to see the city not sit in our room. My only gripe is that the shower screen is very close to the toilet and my Husband nearly knocked himself out during the night :0. The room had all the standard ammenities usually provided. Bed was comfortable but if you like a firm pillow you best take your own as they are all quite soft. On the whole we were very happy with this accommodation and would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. And just to finish this review I would like to say that Terrence at the front door ( Concierge ) is a wonderfull asset to this hotel and company, he was very helpful giving us information on Rotorua and directions, what a great man, thanks Terrence!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrance is certainly a great asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to him, I am sure he will be delighted he was able to make your stay with us and your ongoing trip to Rotorua much less stressful. Thank you so much for your review, I am so pleased you had a great stay with us and I hope the rest of your trip was just fantastic. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
Best wishes,