“Great value, great service”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Brisbane, Australia
“Great value, great service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I recently stayed here while hiring the venue for a conference. Rooms are spacious, modern, and clean. It's centrally located so everything is within walking distance. I also have to say, that the staff were extremely helpful and friendly in supporting our conference. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Wow, thank you for your great review! It was fantastic to have you and your conference here at Rydges Auckland and I am so pleased that you found us to be everything that you needed for both you and your guests. I sincerely hope your next event with us is not too far away.
Warm regards,
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hamilton
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed one night in the weekend. The best part about these rooms are the beds and pillows, they are really comfy. Modern decor and really clean. Great location near sky city and we paid a reasonable room rate. The downside is that the parking was not included so this pushed the price up a bit I think it was $20 more. No pool or spa and there was not much of view out of our room as we had a lower floor. Overall comfy and modern room for a night on the town.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for more of a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, I hope you had a fantastic weekend in the city. It’s always great to be able to get away for a couple of days and let your hair down in town. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope your next weekend in town is not too far away.
Kind regards,
Adelaide
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a NZ vacation. I booked the deluxe room option on the 13 floor. I found this hotel to be very reasonably priced in terms of comfort and location. It is very close to queen st (CBD shopping area) and waterfront area, both only 10 min walk. However it is far enough that the street it is located is quiet.

The room was well appointed. I loved that the shower area was big (not over a bath) and looked newly refurbished. The bed was comfy as were the pillows.

There is a nice lounge area to enjoy a drink after some shopping or pre-dinner and although i didn't eat at STK dining room it looked nice. The room service menu is fantastic and I did order room service on both nights and the food was beautiful!! and delivery promptly. The breakfast buffet is pricey so if you decide not to do that there are plently of cafes near hotel.

Check in was no frills by the girl on that night but was fast which was great. I will say that Terrance the concierge is 'very good' at his job and most helpful and will be able to organise anything for you and make recommendations. Room service staff were polite and professional.The other staff i came across at hotel (reception and bar area) were lacklustre.

There was 'free wifi' available in the room which was a fantastic bonus. Australian hotels are shocking for ridiculous expensive wifi including Rydges hotels in australia.

My only suggestions for improvement would be housekeeping/maintence related. No spoons in my room first night, The fridge had been turned of at the wall so $4.50 water in fridge was hot and a drip in bathroom over the toliet area from manhole which left water on floor i can't believe housekeeping didn't notice this also service does not include making the bed. I would have given excellent rating if these issues weren't there.

I would definitley stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: i would recommend paying a little more for deluxe room on the hirer up floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
I certainly hope your NZ trip was everything you were hoping it would be, New Zealand has so much to offer and so much to see and do so I hope you were able to experience everything.
Thank you so much for your review, it’s great to hear from our guests and find out from them where we are succeeding or falling short in our product and services. I do love that our beds and bedding, bathrooms, food and service are usually very often commented on as being great, but it’s the small things like you mentioned that sometimes get missed that we need to pay constant attention to. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.
I hope your next New Zealand adventure is not too far away, there is always more to see and do in this great country.
Warm regards,
Rotorua
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times recently - on business. The food is incomparable, delicious, tasty, and prepared to your liking. The restaurant staff are pleasant, friendly, and on the ball. Breakfast is so-so. A typical buffet style, and could be hotter. The eggs were a mystery. But the evening meal....................superb.
The manager was most accommodating - on one occasion when he was asked a difficult favour he responded positively and found a way to accede to my request. I was most impressed. He took the time to socialise with me, and my group, during dinner and we found him to be an excellent ambassador for the hotel.
The rooms are comfortable and roomy - like any other hotel - in the end it is just a bed.
Overall I was more than happy with the accommodation and would definitely recommend the hotel to all travellers looking for value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It was fantastic to meet you and I look forward to many more interactions with you in the future. Thank you so much for your great review, I am so pleased you loved our stk Restaurant and Lounge Bar, the food really is wonderful and all the staff take great pride in serving all our guests.
Thanks again and we hope to see you again very soon.
Kindest regards,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Fantastic Modern Buisness Feel Rooms, Great checkin and checkout service, Free wifi (4 hours then reconnect nice and fast) cheap unlimited Valet parking, close to everything in the city walking distance to restaurants attractions and late opening convenience stores. Really good value will definetly come back to stay here whenever in Auckland couldnt ask for anything better. Only issue was the tv in the room had some static on it from inhouse entertainment system but one call to front desk and it was fixed within 15 minuites 5 min till somone came and then 10 min for them to fix it.

Room Tip: Seriously eveyroom ive stayed in has been great here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Wow, I do love reading about our guests having great experiences when staying with us at Rydges Auckland and we have obviously made a great impression on you. I am so sorry about the issue with your television but I am pleased it was fixed promptly and efficiently in only a few minutes.
Genuinely looking forward to your next visit with us which I hope is not too far away.
Best regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times now as it is convenient for work. It is a decent hotel and not overly expensive.

The rooms are always clean, and on the odd occasion I've had issues or reported problems they've Benn dealt with promptly, courteously and reliably. To me that is the most important thing - we all make mistakes but it is how you deal with them that matters!

I would like the staff to make a bigger fuss about customers - it doesn't take much to make everyone feel special - but they aren't bad.

The windows open in all the rooms I've had - a key issue for me - and while small they are well appointed. Bathrooms getting a bit aged but still look fine and clean.

For breaky I strongly recommend 'Kingston Street Cafe' diagonally across the street for a egg, bacon & relish bap and cafe latte!

• Stayed August 2013
It’s so great to hear from you, thank you so much for taking the time to write your thoughts and comments on your stay with us. I am so pleased you choose to stay with us at Rydges Auckland while away on business and I look forward to many more visits in the future.
Kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A good, very clean hotel in a downtown Auckland location. While a couple of blocks off Queen Street, it is still within easy walking distance of the Ferry Terminal and entertainment areas of Auckland. It is one block away from Skycity. Being off a main road, the rooms are remarkably quiet. Unfortunately, the view out of my window was onto an apartment block across the road, so I kept the curtains closed at all times.

Wifi is now provided free, but there is "premium" wifi and wired internet available for an additional charge. The wifi annoyingly requires re-authentication every 4 hours. The password was not provided in-room, so I had to phone reception to ask. The wifi also dropped out quite regularly, so it was as frustrating as convenient.

The bed was extremely comfortable, but the air conditioning was noisy. The bathroom is very clean and well-stocked, but I had been given two conditioners and no shampoo. It's wonderful having a "real" shower, but one morning it took several minutes to get the hot water. I took advantage of the provided iron and ironing board, but housekeeping never put it away. There's good cupboards, but the coathangers are those annoying "don't steal me" ones that are hard to re-hang.

These are examples of what makes the Rydges good, yet always slightly missing "great".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your very informative review, it’s great to hear from our guests to see where we are doing things well and where there may be some room for improvement. Our location, beds and staff have always been well commented on as being great, our bathrooms had previously been quite negatively commented and due to this we have had a huge refurb and removed the baths to create large luxurious showers. As you have commented you found it wonderful to have a ‘real’ shower, we can now add bathrooms to our great list! Thank you again for your review and please be assured that all comments and suggestions are taken extremely seriously and give us direction to go from just good to great in all our guests eyes.
With kindest regards,