“Fantastic”

Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Adelaide, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Fantastic Modern Buisness Feel Rooms, Great checkin and checkout service, Free wifi (4 hours then reconnect nice and fast) cheap unlimited Valet parking, close to everything in the city walking distance to restaurants attractions and late opening convenience stores. Really good value will definetly come back to stay here whenever in Auckland couldnt ask for anything better. Only issue was the tv in the room had some static on it from inhouse entertainment system but one call to front desk and it was fixed within 15 minuites 5 min till somone came and then 10 min for them to fix it.

Room Tip: Seriously eveyroom ive stayed in has been great here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Wow, I do love reading about our guests having great experiences when staying with us at Rydges Auckland and we have obviously made a great impression on you. I am so sorry about the issue with your television but I am pleased it was fixed promptly and efficiently in only a few minutes.
Genuinely looking forward to your next visit with us which I hope is not too far away.
Best regards,
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times now as it is convenient for work. It is a decent hotel and not overly expensive.

The rooms are always clean, and on the odd occasion I've had issues or reported problems they've Benn dealt with promptly, courteously and reliably. To me that is the most important thing - we all make mistakes but it is how you deal with them that matters!

I would like the staff to make a bigger fuss about customers - it doesn't take much to make everyone feel special - but they aren't bad.

The windows open in all the rooms I've had - a key issue for me - and while small they are well appointed. Bathrooms getting a bit aged but still look fine and clean.

For breaky I strongly recommend 'Kingston Street Cafe' diagonally across the street for a egg, bacon & relish bap and cafe latte!

• Stayed August 2013
It’s so great to hear from you, thank you so much for taking the time to write your thoughts and comments on your stay with us. I am so pleased you choose to stay with us at Rydges Auckland while away on business and I look forward to many more visits in the future.
Kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A good, very clean hotel in a downtown Auckland location. While a couple of blocks off Queen Street, it is still within easy walking distance of the Ferry Terminal and entertainment areas of Auckland. It is one block away from Skycity. Being off a main road, the rooms are remarkably quiet. Unfortunately, the view out of my window was onto an apartment block across the road, so I kept the curtains closed at all times.

Wifi is now provided free, but there is "premium" wifi and wired internet available for an additional charge. The wifi annoyingly requires re-authentication every 4 hours. The password was not provided in-room, so I had to phone reception to ask. The wifi also dropped out quite regularly, so it was as frustrating as convenient.

The bed was extremely comfortable, but the air conditioning was noisy. The bathroom is very clean and well-stocked, but I had been given two conditioners and no shampoo. It's wonderful having a "real" shower, but one morning it took several minutes to get the hot water. I took advantage of the provided iron and ironing board, but housekeeping never put it away. There's good cupboards, but the coathangers are those annoying "don't steal me" ones that are hard to re-hang.

These are examples of what makes the Rydges good, yet always slightly missing "great".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your very informative review, it’s great to hear from our guests to see where we are doing things well and where there may be some room for improvement. Our location, beds and staff have always been well commented on as being great, our bathrooms had previously been quite negatively commented and due to this we have had a huge refurb and removed the baths to create large luxurious showers. As you have commented you found it wonderful to have a ‘real’ shower, we can now add bathrooms to our great list! Thank you again for your review and please be assured that all comments and suggestions are taken extremely seriously and give us direction to go from just good to great in all our guests eyes.
With kindest regards,
Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have stayed at Rydges several times and last time my husband was in a wheelchair. He is fine now and really appreciated tie excellent service at this great Auckland Hotel. Staff are always available and ready to give friendly service. Any small problems are readily sorted with no fuss. I have stayed at many places in Auckland (some 5 star) but will remain loyal to Rydges.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am so pleased that your husband is fine now and I love that you are both loyal Rydges Auckland guests, we love having you here and I think this shows in our excellent service. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back many many more times in the future.
With warm regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed 6 nights July 18 – 24 great hotel best location very clean, the staff, are the best we have ever experienced. A very BIG thank you to the staff at STK who went above and beyond to make my husband’s 40th birthday special on Friday the 19th and Terrence, the concierge there are many staff in many hotels around the world that should take a leaf out of his book. He really knows the true meaning of customer service. He was so helpful when our son arrived helping him track down his luggage that Air New Zealand had managed to loose. We will be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pauline W
I love your title! Here at Rydges Auckland we all strive to do our very best for all our guests and be ‘Simply the Best’ hotel in Auckland, I am so pleased you thought we nailed it! It was such a great pleasure to host your husband’s 40th birthday party and it’s great to read everyone had such a fabulous time. I will pass on all your wonderful words to all stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant staff and of course Terrance.
Looking forward to another great visit with you which hopefully is not too far away.
With kindest regards,
New Zealand
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Centrally Located In Auckland CBD
Walking distance to Casino and Restaurants.
Overall service was top notch and the rooms are well maintained.
Restaurant offers Gluten Free options for breakfast.
The complex is beautifully presented

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's located in the middle of the complex! as the hotel is located in the midd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased you found our service to be first class and top notch; I will most definitely pass your kind words onto all the staff at the hotel. I hope your next stay with us is not too far away as we would love to welcome you back.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed for 8 nights whilst in Auckland for business. I'm a regular visitor to Auckland but this was the first time that I had stayed at Rydges Auckland. I booked a harbour view room as many other TA reviewers had commented on the terrible view from some of the other rooms. Good move. View from my room was fine and not blocked by buildings, so it let in lots of light during the day.

The room was fresh and comfortable. Typical of most other Rydges rooms across Australia. The AC worked well and could be switched off if needed (always a good feature). There was also an opening window to let in some fresh air, which is a rare commodity in hotel these days. Although I was on the top floor (14th), the windows are not very sound proof, and night time traffic (people and cars) was noticeable, but not to the point of disturbing my sleep. I would expect that the lower floors may suffer more from this issue. Best advice is to book or request a room on the highest floors. Shower was hot and strong, and the bathroom was big enough to not be pokey. There is a desk that is big enough to actually work from and the couch was comfortable and practical. The bed was comfortable and the room was well serviced each day.

Staff were helpful and friendly. As a general rule, hotel food in Australia / NZ is overpriced and poor quality. Rydges Auckland is no exception. I broke my cardinal rule of eating in the hotel and was disappointed. $36 for buffet scrambled eggs and a coffee....fail. There was a steak meal including a glass of wine advertised within the hotel, and at $24 I thought I'd give it a try on one of the nights that I couldn't be bothered leaving the hotel. Firstly, this is only available in the bar area and not the restaurant. Secondly, the steak was the smallest I have ever seen and was a very low grade (no taste & full of gristle). Thirdly, not much else on the plate except a couple of fries (3 in total) and a scrap of spinach.....another fail. I ended up heading out to find something else to eat as I was still hungry.

Although all this sounds bad, it's not a reflection of the hotel itself and didn't distract from the actual accommodation. My advise in any hotel is to get out for food. Auckland is full of great & affordable eating! For breakfast try Depot (next to SkyCity Grand Hotel) or Grassy Knoll (next to the Hotel de Brett). Both of these are a 5 min walk from Rydges. For dinner try, Bellota (opposite SkyCity Grand), Cafe Hanoi (Brittomart), or the FANTASTIC new Blue Breeze in Ponsenby road....... to name just a few :-).

Although the actual street location of the hotel is not that attractive, it's a very good central location for the city and taxis are nearly always waiting out the front.

All in all, Rydges Auckland is a good reliable hotel that would suit most business travellers.

Room Tip: Take a harbour view room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your extensive review on your 8 night stay with us, it was great to have you here and I sincerely appreciate all your comments and suggestions. The hotel is in a great spot in town to so many of the wonderful attractions in the city including some great restaurants. It does concern me though that you were less than satisfied with your experience in our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant as we usually receive such wonderful glowing comments on both the staff and the excellent food. I hope on your next stay with us we can get the chance to wow you with our fantastic food; I hope this is not too far away.
Kindest regards,