“Good business hotel in city”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Good business hotel in city”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Good hotel in a very central location. Good options for food in walking distance. Hotel restaurant exceptionally good. Order the steak! No on site parking which is a downside, adds another NZ$20 to the daily bill for 'valet parking' in parking garage just across the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Yes, order the steak! Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland and your recommendation to our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant, the food is superb and we are very well known for our fantastic steak meals; very much worth a visit whether staying in house or just looking for a great meal out in town.
I am glad you found the hotels location to be very central for your business needs while in Auckland and I sincerely I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Regards,
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I travel a lot for business and it has been a while since I have stayed at Rydges Auckland. Location of the hotel is great, walking distance to SkyCity – ideal if you have a convention there and still want to be close but have the chance to get out and have some fresh air. Easy to get in and out on the main roads for meetings / appointments.

Check in was swift and easy, being a Priority Guest certainly has it’s advantages with you only having to sign your creditcard slip.

Valet Parking, no drama.

I was lucky to have an upgrade and the suite was great, modern but with plenty of colour and warmth. The furniture is practical but homely. A plus for me was the wooden desk (over a glass one), I am still old school and when using my laptop I like to use my mouse which can be impossible without a mouse pad on a glass desk – some thumbs up.

Good food and beverage specials, although I just ended up having room service. Good timing, hot, presentation was very good and most importantly – it was tasty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Welcome back to Rydges Auckland! I am so pleased we could have you stay with us again. It’s great to read you found the hotel so convenient for your working needs and you are right, signing up to be a Priority Guest has many advantages and well worth becoming a member.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Rydges Auckland is well located for the CBD and the Sky Tower. We were in Auckland for a show at the Aotea Centre, which was a 10 minute walk from the hotel - as was the Viaduct and the ferry terminals. The hotel is very clean, the room was well appointed with a full mini bar and a good selection of TV stations including in-house films. The bed was big and extremely comfortable. The staff we encountered were all very professional, efficient and courteous. The breakfast was a buffet style with plenty of selection (hot and cold).
Downsides were that the jug (kettle) did not fit under the tap and had to be filled using a cup, and there was some street noise around 6am due to shops opening across the road and refuge collection, (we were on the 2nd floor). But these were not a big problem.

I would recommend Rydges as a place to stay in Auckland.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on the higher floors would be less effected by the street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges Auckland is in a great location in town and I am so pleased you found it so easy to get to your show in Aotea Square and so many other great attractions in the city. Thank you so much for your review, it’s great to read you found the bed big and comfortable, the staff to be great and our breakfast buffet to have plenty of selection for you in the morning.
We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and I hope this is not too far away.
Tauranga
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I arrived at Rydges around 9pm on a Friday night, checked in without hassle, the parking isn't exactly on-site which is a nusiance but not a dealbreaker by any means. Staff were reasonably friendly and helpful, the place was quiet, bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep. The next morning when I phoned the front desk for some extra towels (Room was booked for 4 but only 2 towels provided, go figure..) at 7.15am nothing turned up. I checked out at 8.40am and still nothing had arrived - perhaps a communication problem amongst staff but annoying as it's a simple request. It was a nice suprise for a 4.5 star mystery deal but I probably wouldn't pay full price for a night in the future. What constitutes 4.5 stars? The $4.50 bottles of water for sale in the room or the shower curtains in the bathroom? Or the horrendous buildup of dirt in the windows?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Those Mystery Deals are a lot of fun to get a great deal staying in the city. I am so pleased you had a good night sleep after your hassle free check in and I do apologise about the miscommunication with the towels, I know this can be frustrating when trying to get ready in the morning and I will be sure to discuss with the staff to ensure it is an isolated incident. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend in town and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Where do I start. We arrived at 6pm and was not greater by any staff members for our luggage. We proceeded to reception where we checked in and took our own luggage up to our room. We paid over $1500 for 8 nights so I had high expectations. We were not happy with our room as we paid for a Kind Harbour View room and we got a Marine View and our bed was not king size. I went back to reception and complained the lady didn't care and i expressed that our bed was not a king size, she proceeded to tell me that its a little bit smaller then a king size which we have in Australia, she still proceeded to tell me that it was a King Size. It was not a king size to be carefull when you book. The manager then took me to the other room where we stayed but still didn't have a harbour view we had a marine view and still not a king size bed. We found the staff not to be polite and we never got greeted by staff when walking past them in the hotel. We also paid $35 per day for valet parking as this was there only option. What a rip off. They tell you to call and give them 10 minutes to get your car then come down. Every single morning we did this and when we arrived at reception they had not even got our car. We found the staff to be lazy and not friendly at all. We also found reception and concierge disorginized. Quite a lot of Airlines use this hotel which is frustrating when in reception as there is so many of them. The only possitive thing from our stay was you get free Wi Fi however this wasn't working for 2 out of the 8 days we were there which was frustrating again they didn't even offer a free internet service for these 2 days. We ordered room service for 1 of the nights which was lovely. The hotel is central if thats what you need but far from a 4 star thats for sure.

1 Thank Candice P
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thanks so much for your very detailed review on Rydges Auckland, I am so sorry that the staff were not their usually fantastic selves during your stay with us, we always get rave reviews about how great they are so it really disappoints me that on this instance they did not live up to expectation. I will most definitely discuss this with all the staff to ensure we keep up our usual great service all of the time.
8 nights is a great long stay in Auckland so I hope you were able to see everything the city has to offer, Waiheke Island is just a short ferry ride away and they have some great wineries and restaurants over there, there are also some lovely beaches around Auckland and heaps of shows in town to keep you entertained for the week.
I hope we get to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon for another long city getaway.
Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a great staff.
I stayed there more than once due to work and the hotel is good.
One block away from Sky Tower the position offers a lot of options for dinner, bar and everything that city center offers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I am so glad you found the location of the hotel to be great, it is so close to so many of the things you would want to see and do in the city, all within a short walking distance from the front doors. I hope we get to see you again very soon as we would love to have you back for work or just a fun weekend away.
Cooma, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here in a Superior King room and had a enjoyable stay. Room was a corner room with an unobstructed view of the SkyTower and the city. Very centrally located but wasn't noisy. Comfortable bedding and a very presentable modern "Rydges typical" room. Flat screen TV with all the channels you could want. Bathroom was very clean and modern.

We had breakfast included in our rate and the variety and quality was excellent. The usual suspects with the hot selection, but not dried out like you find with some buffets. The selection of juices was awesome. Plenty of fresh fruit and they also had self serve bottles of flavoured milk for the kids (but big kids can get them too !) You can purchase an espresso coffee, which was very good.

If your hiring a car the Avis city office is an easy 2 minute walk away in Nelson st.

I would have no issues staying here again.

Room Tip: High (above level 4) corner rooms will have great views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
The views are great from all different ends of the hotel, but the Sky Tower I think is one of the best! During the day you can see the thrill seekers jump and at night it is lit up and looks rather beautiful.
I am so pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast in the morning; we try and have as many options for all of our guests as we can, even a few things for the kids (and big kids) too.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away as we would love to welcome you back very soon.
Quenton.