Rydges Auckland
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)
$134
Hilton Auckland(Auckland Central)
$274
$266
$144
  • Restaurant
Pullman Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
$110
Heritage Auckland(Auckland Central)
$139
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$122
$102
Agoda.com
  • Fitness center
  • Free Internet
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$151
$128
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)
$195
  • Pool
Kiwi International Hotel(Auckland Central)
$55
$53
  • Restaurant
Quality Hotel Parnell(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$120
$103
2,378 results
All reviewssky towergreat locationchocolate fountainvalet parkingqueen streetnew zealandfree wifibuffet breakfastcentral locationharbour bridgenice roomhotel restaurantmini barinner citycomfortable staylate checkcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. I must say, I love the location as it is very central and minutes away to SkyCity and Queen Street - where all they hype is in Auckland Central. The hotel was very affordable - we paid 175$ per night and thought it was a great bargain! Hotel amenities were very basic but the room was nice and cosy, and still a great experience.

I didn't quite like the shampoo and body wash they provide as it's not very good (some Flax Oil based stuff - yuck), and didn't think too highly of the use of shower curtains (most modern hotels use glass), but the room is always cleaned nicely and tidied up, so we didn't mind too much. Basically the bathroom wasn't that flash, but it's still OK. I didn't quite like the TV either as there were only about 5 channels to choose from, and the reception wasn't very good. The only hotel facility available was a gym on level 3, but it's not very spacious. The restaurant feels very separate to the hotel and I couldn't see that there were any room service available.

All in all, I thought it was a pleasant stay, but if you're looking for something fancy, head next door to the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Hi, I hope you had a wonderful 4 days exploring Auckland. You are right, the hotel is in a fantastic location for getting to so many of the great attractions the city has to offer.
I'm glad you mentioned the bathroom, we are currently in the process of refurbishing them with half the hotel complete with the other half to be completed in the next few months. No more annoying shower curtains! The new look is so much more spacious and lovely.
We most certainly have room service available with an extensive menu in each room, I'm sorry you missed it. Hopefully the next time you stay you get to try it out, we have some wonderful meals on offer; or try our STK restaurant which has some fantastic steaks!
Hopefully your next visit isn't too far away.
With kind regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight. The hotel was lovely & staff very nice. Rooms were a little small & bathrooms very compact. I was a little annoyed that the hotel doesn't provide shower caps but lucky I always pack a spare one. The beds were very comfortable and had a great night sleep.

Service was a little slow, it took half and hour for a bucket of ice to be sent up. Room service was fairly good value for money. Highly recommend the chips with truffle aioli.

There is only an option for valet parking $28 per stay. Or you can park across the street for $18. Walking distance to Sky City, Viaduct & queen st.

• Stayed: May 2013
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

How great are the STK chips with the aioli?! The great big chips are awesome with one of our steaks; you will have to try them together when you are next in Auckland. Sorry about the time it took to get the ice though, that’s not right and will definitely discuss with the team.
I am so pleased you had a great night sleep with us and I sincerely hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland once again very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2013

If the reason you book a hotel room in advance is to insure you get a room you want when you arrive at the price you want ... don't depend on this hotel filling the bill.
We booked an upgraded view room months in advance only to be told ... upon arrival and check-in ... that a plumbing problem had happened and they did not have a room for us! But they said they had made arrangements with another hotel very close that was "as good" as theirs. So they sent us off in a short cab ride to a hotel that was a dump ... a great hotel for starving college students .., but a dump. We immediately got another cab back to the Rydges to force the issue. I am normally fairly calm, but I made a STINK at the Rydges front desk the likes of which you can only imagine. I literally blocked anyone from checking in until they had a room of the calibre I had already paid for. I reminded the Rydgesthat they OWNED the booking and that I was not leaving the front desk until I got what I had paid for. I then turned around to the other people that were waiting to check-in and informed them that they were not checking in until my reservation had been fulfilled.
I demanded talking to the overall hotel manager and he eventually got us a room ... but it was not the upgraded one I had paid for. But he said he would move us to a better one after the first night. After a 22 hour flight from the USand all of this hassle I finally agreed. But anyone who books a room in this hotel should understand that the only reason you book a hotel in advance is to get the room you want at the price you feel is reasonable to pay. More importantly, the Rydges did If it's acceptable to you to be stiffed at check-in and then get a room where you have to have the curtains closed (because you are looking into deplorable conditions at the apartment complex across the street), then book the Rydges. Not me. And I absolutely hated having to be totally obnoxious in order to get something even close to what I paid for. Both rooms were clean but my impression of the Rydges is not a good one. It's unfortunate that I could not attach pictures of both rooms (we stayed 3 nites, fyi, unitl we left for a cruise) but suffice it to say that YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CURTAINS SHUT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ON DISPLAY.
But if all you want is a clean place to stay, at a reasonable price, and don't care if you have to keep your blinds closed to not be on display, book the Rydges. But say I didn't warn you.

Room Tip: Stand up for what you paid for. Take a picture of the room you booked on the web with you and demand a room like that. Call the hotel a couple days ahead of time and make certain that a problem they encountered does not become your problem. Be persistent in getting what you paid for.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank help32250

Hi Help32250, it’s lovely to hear from you again. I hope you had a wonderful cruise and safe travels back home again.
I am so pleased you shared your experience with us and I sincerely apologise that it was an unpleasant one for you. While we at the hotel take every effort to ensure the room you booked is available upon your arrival unfortunately due to circumstances outside of our control (like the plumbing issue you saw in the room you booked) sometimes we have to find alternative options. If we ever have to relocate one of our guests for any reason we will always ensure it is to a hotel of either the same or greater calibre than ourselves. I realise this obviously did not work for you and you returned for us to find another solution. It is unfortunate you felt the need to make a scene in the lobby to get what you wanted, which we still could not give you as the plumbing issue was not a quick fix problem, but I am pleased we were able to accommodate you in one of our beautiful suites, just not with the view you were after – the hotel is full of different styles and sizes of rooms each with different views of either the SkyTower, the city, the harbour or some that include part of the buildings in the city. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your alternative room and that this has left a sour taste in your mouth regarding Rydges Auckland.
We would love the chance to make it up to you, the plumbing issue is of course now fixed and is as good as new and we would love to show how great we really are.
With the kindest of regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Would be a good choice but currently has construction in some of the rooms. This meant an early morning wakeup around 7am on a Saturday morning. Returning to my room mid morning to find it stunk of paint.. So had to change to another room.

Not great value when you are paying over $170 per night!

So check before you book!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Hi, thanks for your review and please be assured I'm so sorry you had a less than satisfactory stay with us due to the refurbishments on level 9 and the disruption this caused you. It's a very exciting time for us at Rydges Auckland as we are creating beautiful new showers in our bathrooms which look wonderful, no more showers over the baths or those awful shower curtains!
I hope the next time you stay with us you get to experience our brand new bathrooms and see the wonderful hard work that went into creating them.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Rydges before departing on a cruise. The rooms were tastefully appointed and the beds, as promised, were wonderfully comfy. Most importantly, the staff was exceptional, especially Velvon who went above and beyond to help us locate our missing luggage. (After 25 hours of travel, we discovered our bags missing. They remained missing for almost three days!) On more than one occasion Velvon called the airport to inquire about the status of our bags, proficiently navigated the online baggage claim system, and offered kind reassurance when I was at my wit's end. To mitigate our frustration and disappointment (with the lost bag situation), the management kindly moved us to an even nicer room with a beautiful view. As they say, service is everything. Thank you, Rydges Auckland. We highly recommend your lovely, stylish, and centrally located facility.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

How so very frustrating to lose your bags after such a long time travelling, I can only imagine the stress you would be feeling knowing you had to get on a cruise ship in only a couple of days with possibly no luggage! What a relief it must have been to finally get it back. I am so pleased Velvon was able to look after you and alleviate some of your stress with helping locate your bags and set you up comfortably in a lovely room with a beautiful view. All the staff at the hotel take a lot of pride in looking after all our guests so it pleases me you found this too.
I will definitely pass on your very kind words to all the staff and we all hope you had a wonderful carefree cruise.
With warm regards,