“Be prepared to be stiffed ....”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed May 2, 2013

If the reason you book a hotel room in advance is to insure you get a room you want when you arrive at the price you want ... don't depend on this hotel filling the bill.
We booked an upgraded view room months in advance only to be told ... upon arrival and check-in ... that a plumbing problem had happened and they did not have a room for us! But they said they had made arrangements with another hotel very close that was "as good" as theirs. So they sent us off in a short cab ride to a hotel that was a dump ... a great hotel for starving college students .., but a dump. We immediately got another cab back to the Rydges to force the issue. I am normally fairly calm, but I made a STINK at the Rydges front desk the likes of which you can only imagine. I literally blocked anyone from checking in until they had a room of the calibre I had already paid for. I reminded the Rydgesthat they OWNED the booking and that I was not leaving the front desk until I got what I had paid for. I then turned around to the other people that were waiting to check-in and informed them that they were not checking in until my reservation had been fulfilled.
I demanded talking to the overall hotel manager and he eventually got us a room ... but it was not the upgraded one I had paid for. But he said he would move us to a better one after the first night. After a 22 hour flight from the USand all of this hassle I finally agreed. But anyone who books a room in this hotel should understand that the only reason you book a hotel in advance is to get the room you want at the price you feel is reasonable to pay. More importantly, the Rydges did If it's acceptable to you to be stiffed at check-in and then get a room where you have to have the curtains closed (because you are looking into deplorable conditions at the apartment complex across the street), then book the Rydges. Not me. And I absolutely hated having to be totally obnoxious in order to get something even close to what I paid for. Both rooms were clean but my impression of the Rydges is not a good one. It's unfortunate that I could not attach pictures of both rooms (we stayed 3 nites, fyi, unitl we left for a cruise) but suffice it to say that YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CURTAINS SHUT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ON DISPLAY.
But if all you want is a clean place to stay, at a reasonable price, and don't care if you have to keep your blinds closed to not be on display, book the Rydges. But say I didn't warn you.

Room Tip: Stand up for what you paid for. Take a picture of the room you booked on the web with you and deman...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank help32250
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Hi Help32250, it’s lovely to hear from you again. I hope you had a wonderful cruise and safe travels back home again.
I am so pleased you shared your experience with us and I sincerely apologise that it was an unpleasant one for you. While we at the hotel take every effort to ensure the room you booked is available upon your arrival unfortunately due to circumstances outside of our control (like the plumbing issue you saw in the room you booked) sometimes we have to find alternative options. If we ever have to relocate one of our guests for any reason we will always ensure it is to a hotel of either the same or greater calibre than ourselves. I realise this obviously did not work for you and you returned for us to find another solution. It is unfortunate you felt the need to make a scene in the lobby to get what you wanted, which we still could not give you as the plumbing issue was not a quick fix problem, but I am pleased we were able to accommodate you in one of our beautiful suites, just not with the view you were after – the hotel is full of different styles and sizes of rooms each with different views of either the SkyTower, the city, the harbour or some that include part of the buildings in the city. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your alternative room and that this has left a sour taste in your mouth regarding Rydges Auckland.
We would love the chance to make it up to you, the plumbing issue is of course now fixed and is as good as new and we would love to show how great we really are.
With the kindest of regards,
Quenton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,275)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Would be a good choice but currently has construction in some of the rooms. This meant an early morning wakeup around 7am on a Saturday morning. Returning to my room mid morning to find it stunk of paint.. So had to change to another room.

Not great value when you are paying over $170 per night!

So check before you book!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Hi, thanks for your review and please be assured I'm so sorry you had a less than satisfactory stay with us due to the refurbishments on level 9 and the disruption this caused you. It's a very exciting time for us at Rydges Auckland as we are creating beautiful new showers in our bathrooms which look wonderful, no more showers over the baths or those awful shower curtains!
I hope the next time you stay with us you get to experience our brand new bathrooms and see the wonderful hard work that went into creating them.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Rydges before departing on a cruise. The rooms were tastefully appointed and the beds, as promised, were wonderfully comfy. Most importantly, the staff was exceptional, especially Velvon who went above and beyond to help us locate our missing luggage. (After 25 hours of travel, we discovered our bags missing. They remained missing for almost three days!) On more than one occasion Velvon called the airport to inquire about the status of our bags, proficiently navigated the online baggage claim system, and offered kind reassurance when I was at my wit's end. To mitigate our frustration and disappointment (with the lost bag situation), the management kindly moved us to an even nicer room with a beautiful view. As they say, service is everything. Thank you, Rydges Auckland. We highly recommend your lovely, stylish, and centrally located facility.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

How so very frustrating to lose your bags after such a long time travelling, I can only imagine the stress you would be feeling knowing you had to get on a cruise ship in only a couple of days with possibly no luggage! What a relief it must have been to finally get it back. I am so pleased Velvon was able to look after you and alleviate some of your stress with helping locate your bags and set you up comfortably in a lovely room with a beautiful view. All the staff at the hotel take a lot of pride in looking after all our guests so it pleases me you found this too.
I will definitely pass on your very kind words to all the staff and we all hope you had a wonderful carefree cruise.
With warm regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent two very comfortable nights at the Rydges Auckland as our last two days at the end of a seven week sojourn in the South Pacific. The room was comfortable but we had no real view; seemed as if many of the rooms on our floor (Ninth) were under renovation. We spent much of our time away from the hotel and so can give the hotel, in general, a very positive review based on the creature comforts, only. We ate our meals away from the hotel with a local friend and so cannot rate those facilities. Front desk staff were very helpful and very professional!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Hi, wow you have been all over Australia and New Zealand recently, and Tahiti too, a destination I have been wanting to visit for a long time! I hope you have had an absolute blast visiting so many places in the past 7 weeks and I am so pleased we could be part of your great adventure too.
Yes there are renovations happening on level 9 at the moment, we have been renovating our bathrooms by removing the bathtubs and creating lovely large rain showers to really open up the bathrooms creating a very beautiful light space. We completed the top few levels last year and we are just starting on the rest now, they look amazing!
I hope your travels bring you back down this way again someday as it would be great to see you again.
Safe travels,

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at the Rydges Auckland for two non-consecutive nights and we really pleased with our experience there. The staff were very kind, friendly, and accommodating, and the location is really central to everything in Auckland. Many of the rooms have a cool view of the Sky Tower, which is just 1 block away!

I really appreciated that the gave us a discount on the parking next door, and I'd stay there again if we made it back to Auckland.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hi, I really hope you guys do make it back to Auckland one day, we would love to have you stay with us again! Maybe next time try a room on the other side of the hotel with a beautiful view of the harbour, the bridge at sunset is just magical.
Hope your two nights in Auckland were wonderful and you had a safe trip back home.
Warm regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here I think a total of 17 nights here in the past two years... why because of the comfy beds and the nice quiet sleep I get every time. The location is also well placed to a lot of great restaurants, Sky City complex and handy to Queen St, Airport buses and the Ferry terminal to Whaiheke and a short Taxi ride to the Ferry for Great Barrier Island.

Room Tip: Try a Deluxe harbor-view room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Hi again, it’s so awesome you love our comfy beds so much you keep coming back again and again, we love having you here! Did you know the Rydges Dream Beds are actually for sale on the Rydges website? Many people who love the beds actually end up buying one for themselves after staying in the hotel, even the staff!
So glad you stay with us over and over and I am very much looking forward to many more visits with you.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights on holiday with my husband. Got a good deal online including breakfast. Rooms were a little small, but had a harbour view. Beds and pillows very comfortable. Close to the harbour, Queen Street and the Sky Tower with a convenience store across the road. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Hi, thanks so much for your review on your recent holiday with us, I hope you had a fantastic time away with your husband exploring Auckland. There is so much to do in town, I notice you visited the Sky Tower and Devonport; both a definite must see when in town and it is great fun to get around on the ferries too (great views of the entire city from the ferries as well).
I am so pleased you loved your stay with us and I hope the rest of your holiday in New Zealand is just magical as well and I really hope we get the chance to meet you again.
Best regards,