If the reason you book a hotel room in advance is to insure you get a room you want when you arrive at the price you want ... don't depend on this hotel filling the bill.
We booked an upgraded view room months in advance only to be told ... upon arrival and check-in ... that a plumbing problem had happened and they did not have a room for us! But they said they had made arrangements with another hotel very close that was "as good" as theirs. So they sent us off in a short cab ride to a hotel that was a dump ... a great hotel for starving college students .., but a dump. We immediately got another cab back to the Rydges to force the issue. I am normally fairly calm, but I made a STINK at the Rydges front desk the likes of which you can only imagine. I literally blocked anyone from checking in until they had a room of the calibre I had already paid for. I reminded the Rydgesthat they OWNED the booking and that I was not leaving the front desk until I got what I had paid for. I then turned around to the other people that were waiting to check-in and informed them that they were not checking in until my reservation had been fulfilled.
I demanded talking to the overall hotel manager and he eventually got us a room ... but it was not the upgraded one I had paid for. But he said he would move us to a better one after the first night. After a 22 hour flight from the USand all of this hassle I finally agreed. But anyone who books a room in this hotel should understand that the only reason you book a hotel in advance is to get the room you want at the price you feel is reasonable to pay. More importantly, the Rydges did If it's acceptable to you to be stiffed at check-in and then get a room where you have to have the curtains closed (because you are looking into deplorable conditions at the apartment complex across the street), then book the Rydges. Not me. And I absolutely hated having to be totally obnoxious in order to get something even close to what I paid for. Both rooms were clean but my impression of the Rydges is not a good one. It's unfortunate that I could not attach pictures of both rooms (we stayed 3 nites, fyi, unitl we left for a cruise) but suffice it to say that YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CURTAINS SHUT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ON DISPLAY.
But if all you want is a clean place to stay, at a reasonable price, and don't care if you have to keep your blinds closed to not be on display, book the Rydges. But say I didn't warn you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation and Breakfast packages available; Long stay Accommodation prices available; Modern furnishings and fittings; Complimentary Newspapers;100% Non smoking; For genuine caring hospitality and service please contact Rydges Auckland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Rydges Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Rydges Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Rydges Hotel
- Rydges Auckland New Zealand