“Another nice stay”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our second stay at the Rydges in Auckland. We had a really nice stay here in 2011 and made sure to book here again for this visit. We were not disappointed. We arrived early in the day after an Australia/New Zealand cruise. Our bags were held for us so we could begin enjoying Auckland. Our room was very nice. Had a nice view of the harbour and bridge. Very clean and comfortable room. Enjoyed the included Internet. Great location. An easy walk to the sky tower, water front and Queen street. We had an extra special visit as the Chinese lantern festival was going on in nearby Albert park. Everyone at Rydges was very friendly and helpful. Tonight we are off to Sydney and another Rydges location. I hope our stay is as good as our stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank GeorgeWA
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we could welcome you back once again to the hotel for another fantastic stay with us. Auckland has some great festivals and events throughout the year and the Chinese New Year Lantern festival is a very exciting one and it’s great it added a special element to your Auckland visit. I hope your cruise was just amazing and your onward journey to Sydney was everything you were hoping for.
Looking forward to welcoming you back once again to Rydges Auckland.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

It's been a while since we stayed at Rydges. We spent the first nights of our five week holiday there. The room was extremely comfortable and well presented. The bathroom was spotless and the room facilities were also very good, breakfast too. It's also a great place for getting (on foot) to the Sky Tower and the great restaurants on the harbour.
We had an especially great night in the bar (even though we're not much of drinkers), as we were the only two Aussies with a room full of Kiwis (New Zealanders) enthusiastically watching the Aus v. NZ rugby on the big screen, which Australia lost. Despite the fun and excitement downstairs our room was quiet and relaxing. Would highly recommend New Zealand, an amazing country, Auckland and Rydges.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it sounds like you had an amazing time visiting New Zealand and I am so happy we could be part of that with you. The atmosphere in the bar area of our STK restaurant is always great but can get quite exciting when there is a rugby game on and even more exciting when the kiwis get one over the Aussies! All in fun of course!
I hope you come visit with us again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms clean. I was annoyed that parking wasn't included but even once paid or the front was full of cars! Later that night they were driven away.

The rooms which face Kingston Street unfortunately look into an apartment building. On almost every balcony is washing, old furniture, kids toys and rubbish. Not a pretty sight to wake up to!

I wasn't happy they added 2.5% on credit cards and very disappointed the 'free wi-if' only lasted 4 hours! Not good enough at this price and star rating. On top of all this the room was very small and the bathroom had a sliding door off beside the bed.

Vicki

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time in Auckland during your stay with us and were able to get out and about to explore the city.
Just like with airlines and many restaurants, most hotels both in New Zealand and around the world have a surcharge with credit cards.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in feb 2013, service was fine and room was also find, other than the bathroom which would have been more at home in a 3 star motel. The worst part was a shower curtain that looked like it was from the 80s and unpleasantly sticks to you while showering. While this is a decent hotel I would suggest other 4 star hotels in Auckland offer a better experience for a cheaper price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you mentioned the bathroom as we are currently in the process of removing the baths and replacing them with a large and luxurious shower - minus the annoying shower curtain. Half the hotel is completed with the other half to be complete at the end of this winter. The new showers look amazing and they certainly open up the bathrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back very soon to check out our new showers.
Regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I booked the hotel through NakedRooms and paid just $100 for a twin room - an absolute bargain.

When I showed up the reservation was for a standard King, which they switched to Twin without any issue what-so-ever. I presented a DebitVisa, when I said I had no regular Visa they said "that's fine sir!". Check-in was fast & professional. All the staff I met, from valet, cleaners, & front office seemed really happy to be there, and happy to serve.

The room on the 8th floor wasn't facing the harbour, but I had no problems with the Skytower view. Twin Queen beds were really comfy, a good mini-bar & a deep bath & shower topped it off. The only thing I would have liked would be a countdown timer on the TV, but hardly a biggie. A pool would have been great, but I knew there wasn't one.

On checkout I realised we had inadvertently opened a minibar item that I thought was complimentary, but wasn't. They didn't charge for it anyway, even tho I mentioned it.

All in all, a perfect stay! It is now my regular place to stay when overnighting in Auckland. Thanks, Rydges Auckland crew - I WILL be back! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DadZun

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rygdes Auckland, and what a great review it is! I am so pleased you had such a fantastic experience with us after getting a great deal online. I am so glad you have chosen us as your go to hotel in Auckland and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for your next city stay very soon.
With warm regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Purchased on a secret hotel room deal for $109 AUD/night over a Fri/Sat night, so great value for such a central location. Top floor rooms great, check in efficient and downstairs bar/lobby good for a drink. Very close to Depot, a must do dinner spot. Wifi didn't work that well in room at top floor, good in the lobby. You can purchase premium wifi pack not sure how that works on top floors so check before purchasing. Rooms clean and have been refurbished. I probably wouldn't pay more than what I paid tho, considering a 5* secret hotel room is around $150AUD a night. All in all a pleasant enough stay in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank PrincessFisky

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a great weekend exploring Auckland; and you're right, Depot is certianly a must for a fantastic dinner spot just up the road from the hotel. Our STK Bar and Restaurant is a great place for a casual drink or a fantastic steak meal too and well worth a visit.
Hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a night here for work. The hotel managed to muck up the booking, but when this was noted, upgraded us with out any fuss. The hotel was recently renovated and was very comfortable. Rooms were spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was a bit disappointing at $31 for the full buffet. Book a room with a view as there are some lovely views of Auckland harbour. Stuff were very friendly and helpful. We very much enjoyed staying here and would return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I do apologies for your booking getting mixed up but I am pleased we were able to rectify this with a room upgrade for your stay. The view of the harbour and the bridge are awesome, and at sunset can be just magical.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,