“Good, let down by dated bathroom”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in feb 2013, service was fine and room was also find, other than the bathroom which would have been more at home in a 3 star motel. The worst part was a shower curtain that looked like it was from the 80s and unpleasantly sticks to you while showering. While this is a decent hotel I would suggest other 4 star hotels in Auckland offer a better experience for a cheaper price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you mentioned the bathroom as we are currently in the process of removing the baths and replacing them with a large and luxurious shower - minus the annoying shower curtain. Half the hotel is completed with the other half to be complete at the end of this winter. The new showers look amazing and they certainly open up the bathrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back very soon to check out our new showers.
Regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I booked the hotel through NakedRooms and paid just $100 for a twin room - an absolute bargain.

When I showed up the reservation was for a standard King, which they switched to Twin without any issue what-so-ever. I presented a DebitVisa, when I said I had no regular Visa they said "that's fine sir!". Check-in was fast & professional. All the staff I met, from valet, cleaners, & front office seemed really happy to be there, and happy to serve.

The room on the 8th floor wasn't facing the harbour, but I had no problems with the Skytower view. Twin Queen beds were really comfy, a good mini-bar & a deep bath & shower topped it off. The only thing I would have liked would be a countdown timer on the TV, but hardly a biggie. A pool would have been great, but I knew there wasn't one.

On checkout I realised we had inadvertently opened a minibar item that I thought was complimentary, but wasn't. They didn't charge for it anyway, even tho I mentioned it.

All in all, a perfect stay! It is now my regular place to stay when overnighting in Auckland. Thanks, Rydges Auckland crew - I WILL be back! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DadZun
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rygdes Auckland, and what a great review it is! I am so pleased you had such a fantastic experience with us after getting a great deal online. I am so glad you have chosen us as your go to hotel in Auckland and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for your next city stay very soon.
With warm regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Purchased on a secret hotel room deal for $109 AUD/night over a Fri/Sat night, so great value for such a central location. Top floor rooms great, check in efficient and downstairs bar/lobby good for a drink. Very close to Depot, a must do dinner spot. Wifi didn't work that well in room at top floor, good in the lobby. You can purchase premium wifi pack not sure how that works on top floors so check before purchasing. Rooms clean and have been refurbished. I probably wouldn't pay more than what I paid tho, considering a 5* secret hotel room is around $150AUD a night. All in all a pleasant enough stay in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank PrincessFisky

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a great weekend exploring Auckland; and you're right, Depot is certianly a must for a fantastic dinner spot just up the road from the hotel. Our STK Bar and Restaurant is a great place for a casual drink or a fantastic steak meal too and well worth a visit.
Hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a night here for work. The hotel managed to muck up the booking, but when this was noted, upgraded us with out any fuss. The hotel was recently renovated and was very comfortable. Rooms were spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was a bit disappointing at $31 for the full buffet. Book a room with a view as there are some lovely views of Auckland harbour. Stuff were very friendly and helpful. We very much enjoyed staying here and would return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I do apologies for your booking getting mixed up but I am pleased we were able to rectify this with a room upgrade for your stay. The view of the harbour and the bridge are awesome, and at sunset can be just magical.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at Rydges Auckland 5 years ago and we returned In Jan 2013. The location is central to everything yet it's not noisy. The rooms facing the water in the back have great views. The staff is very professional, helpful, and friendly. The beds are great and the bathrooms are spacious and modern. I will stay here again next time I return to Auckland.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back and on the upper floors have beautiful water views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Art T

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, you would have noticed I'm sure how much the hotel has changed since your last stay with us 5 years ago - more rooms, upgraded bathrooms, lobby and restaurant - and they all look great!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland on your next visit to the city, hopefully sooner than 5 years.
Best wishes,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were staying one night in Auckland before catching a Celebrity cruise. Upon arrival, we had a short wait as the room was not ready. However, we were given drink chits and enjoyed a drink at the bar while waiting. The room was small, clean and well appointed. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The hotel is in a great location and it's an easy walk to the sky tower, wharf and Queen Street. It's a $12 NZ dollar cab ride - with luggage - to the cruise terminal. We noticed many pre / post cruisers staying at the hotel. Good value and would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased to read you had a great stay with us before going on your cruise which I hope was just magical as well.
We do get many cruise guests stay with us due to our location to both the wharf and the rest of the city to explore.
I hope we can welcome you back again for another great cruise holiday.
With kind regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice in last one year, with a recent stay this week. The hotel is average with few benefits as being centrally located (which quite a few of them are in Auckland), free internet available for guests and decent bar / restaurant. The restaurant offers good Italian dishes.
They also have paid internet with higher speed. However, this paid internet is suitable for one device only. At a downside, we experienced that the staff isn't regular in cleaning the rooms. Our rooms weren't cleaned the first day and realized this when we came back to hotel around late noon. We requested the staff and they mentioned that it'll be done. However, it wasn't done and was done only the next day.
Otherwise, the staff was friendly and did help us out, whenever required. One positive out of our stay - The internet charges of the paid internet were waived off.
The hotel has a direct pickup and drop from Airport Shuttle, otherwise Cab will charge around NZD 70-80 from Airport.
Overall, the hotel is average and if you get good rates, it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Suitcaser-007

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it's great to hear from our returning guests and I hope we can continue welcoming you back in the future. Thank you for bringing the housekeeping issue to my attention as this will be discussed and rectified immediately so as to not happen again.
The hotel is in a great location and our STK restaurant has some fantastic dishes and well worth a visit.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
With warm regards,