“Decent two-night stay”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked a Deluxe King Harbour-view Room (1411) at good member-deal rates via Priority Guest Rewards. Room was on top floor on corner with a view of the harbour although view was part-obstructed by another building and across the top of other buildings. Check-in was friendly and room and facilities were OK and clean but not sure we'd have been as satisfied if paying full rate for a Deluxe room. Not having stayed in Auckland before, we didn't realise the hotel was on the hilly periphery of the CBD, but since we like to walk a lot anyway, it was tolerable.

We had a rental car and check-in was a bit of a nuisance with limited and congested parking right in front of the hotel and in nearby streets. The hotel has no on-site parking, but has a discount arrangement with a conveniently-located nearby car park associated with Sky Tower where we parked for 2 days. We decided not to take the car out until time to leave since the car park charges on a per-exit basis, ie, each time you leave, so running back and forth could be a bit expensive.

The breakfast selection was a decent range but busy when we stayed and table clean-up service was a bit slow. Even after two requests to tidy up a table, we had no result and did it ourselves.

The hotel location was relatively quiet, but a downside for our room was a close and even taller residential apartment opposite our main window. Just our luck that on our second night there was a noisy party directly opposite and we heard all of it until about 2am.

Overall the stay was fine at the rate charged, but if we were in Auckland again we might look out for somewhere a bit closer to the harbour.

1  Thank Longplannedholiday
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time exploring the city during your 2 night stay with us, it's a great city to explore by foot.
Thank for for sharing your experience with us and I will be sure to discuss the lack of service during your breakfast with the relevant managers to ensure this does not happen again.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Regards,
Quenton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

For our last three nights in New Zealand we decided to select a very good hotel, or so we thought. We booked the King De Luxe, Harbour View. Great view, shame about the housekeeping.

We found out that the wording on the new door tabs for room servicing has not got through to the service staff. We left no tab the first night expecting the room to be serviced, it wasn't and the evening maid had to come to change towels and clean, next day we left 'conserving tab' (before 1am ) to change used towels and carry out room amenities, the towels were changed but no cleaning or bed made. I pointed the problem out to the duty manager and was told that the door tabs were new, therefore it would appear there is a staff training problem in this hotel.

The staff were very friendly especially in the dining room and in reception

In the six weeks we have had in NZ this is the first hotel where the beds were not made. Yet this was the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed at. Not great value for money when simple things are expected for this type of quality hotel. There are many hotels in the centre of Auckland you take your pick and make the choice! I would not be using this hotel again nor would I recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We had room1308, great view of the marina and bridge, but built up either side with an office block...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flamesafe

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, you are right that your room servicing during your stay was unacceptable and I am so pleased you bought it to my attention so that I can ensure all staff are up to date and this remains an isolated incident.
I hope you had a wonderful New Zealand holiday and had a safe journey home.
I hope we can once again welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Warm wishes,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having seen the website and had very helpful communications with the reservations staff, I was disappointed by the room when we checked in today. Like an earlier reviewer, I was surprised to find that a king size bed is not very large - I had expected it to be as an Australian king size, but it's Australian queen size ie a size smaller. Makes a very big difference to us as a tall-ish couple.

Particularly disappointed by the bathroom, which is somewhat open plan - it's possible to use a sliding door to screen off the small toilet and shower space, but the hand basin is outside that area, and only half screened-off from the rest of the room. Me and husband are both tall (but not amazons) and have to sit sideways on the toilet as our knees can't fit in - that's not deluxe!

It's hard to imagine that a standard room would offer any less than this, so save your money.

WiFi service extremely poor - have lost connection at least 5 times in the last hour.

Room Tip: I asked for a high room, in order to have more quiet, based on other reviews. The reservations staf...
Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rainbeaux

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I appreciate your comments and suggestions as it is with our guests reviews that we can really understand your real needs and requirements from us. It's great to get new ideas to discuss with the team so thank you again for your review.
Hope we can welcome you both back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
With best regards,

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels in auckland and this one seemed rather average compared With the rest. The room was clean, but rather small. And I did not enjoy the food from the restaurant down stairs at all
Very central to everything though which is a plus.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it's always great to hear from our guests as your thoughts and suggestions help us create a better experience for your next stay.
I do apologies that you did not enjoy your meal in our STK Restaurant as we usually receive rave reviews on the service and quality of food.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Rydges is a nice hotel in a good locations and the the restaurant has great food.

My only complaint is that we booked and paid for a room with a King size bed. When we arrived and saw that we only had a Queen, we queried why and were told that is was a 'New Zealand' King size. I commented at the time that I found this very odd as Rydges is an international chain, so shouldn't they have international standards?

We have now stayed at a number of hotels in Auckland and New Plymouth and at these hotels we have had what we would consider a king size bed.

For us we were disappointed that instead of rectifying the problem, we were given a story by management, and one that was obviously intended to play on the fact we were tourists.

Aside from that, the restaurant staff were really great.

Room Tip: Don't expect a King size even if oyu book and pay for it.
1  Thank geokult
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it's always great to hear from our guests as it enables us to find out what they loved or didn't love about the hotel and gives us the opportunity to rectify any short comings we may have.
I am so pleased you enjoyed our STK Restaurant, the food is fantastic and something we are very proud of.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel. And I'm still a fan. I arrived from the US at 8am and called to check that my room was ready. It was, even though I was early!
I was warmly greated by the staff and went to my lovely harbour view king room. Gorgeous fit. The view wasn't what I had remembered. I forgot that the hotel is a bit back so your views aren't terribly impressive, but we did have a great view of a tennis court which was fun to watch.

The staff are incredibly helpfu. One of the duty managers (Rydges feel free to contact me if you want more detail) showed us alternatives to our room (given my whinging about the view) and offered to move us if we wanted. After comparing the views I realised our room was perfectly fine. What I really appreciated was his attention and willingness to help. Housekeeping was also helpful (James?) and the rooms were immaculate. I loved the walk in shower.

The location is wonderful if you are a tourist, and there is a nice little happy hour to keep the smile on your face after a long day sightseeing!even a happy hour every evening : )

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe harbour king room if you can-it's well worth the extra $.
1  Thank LindaKayJ

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we were able to get you into your room so early after your very long flight from the US, it's always great to be able settle in as soon as possible.  The staff at he hotel really are great and do try and go that extra mile for our guests so it pleases me that you found this too, I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. And yes, Happy Hour is on every night and is a great way to wind down after a long day seeing the sights around town.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Really good location & smart room, very comfortable bed, steak restaurant looked great but unfortunately we didn't get to try it! Really easy to find the hotel because the Sky Tower is such a focal point, you won't get lost! We had a great view of the Sky Tower from our room & could see the people jumping off it. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you had a great stay with us on your recent trip into the city. The view of the Skytower is quite a special one, especially getting to see the brave souls jumping off it! Something I don't think I am quite brave enough to do myself! I hope the next time you come stay with us you do get to try our STK Restaurant, the food is fantastic and well worth a visit.
Looking forward to seeing you again,