“Average”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels in auckland and this one seemed rather average compared With the rest. The room was clean, but rather small. And I did not enjoy the food from the restaurant down stairs at all
Very central to everything though which is a plus.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it's always great to hear from our guests as your thoughts and suggestions help us create a better experience for your next stay.
I do apologies that you did not enjoy your meal in our STK Restaurant as we usually receive rave reviews on the service and quality of food.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Rydges is a nice hotel in a good locations and the the restaurant has great food.

My only complaint is that we booked and paid for a room with a King size bed. When we arrived and saw that we only had a Queen, we queried why and were told that is was a 'New Zealand' King size. I commented at the time that I found this very odd as Rydges is an international chain, so shouldn't they have international standards?

We have now stayed at a number of hotels in Auckland and New Plymouth and at these hotels we have had what we would consider a king size bed.

For us we were disappointed that instead of rectifying the problem, we were given a story by management, and one that was obviously intended to play on the fact we were tourists.

Aside from that, the restaurant staff were really great.

Room Tip: Don't expect a King size even if oyu book and pay for it.
1  Thank geokult
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it's always great to hear from our guests as it enables us to find out what they loved or didn't love about the hotel and gives us the opportunity to rectify any short comings we may have.
I am so pleased you enjoyed our STK Restaurant, the food is fantastic and something we are very proud of.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel. And I'm still a fan. I arrived from the US at 8am and called to check that my room was ready. It was, even though I was early!
I was warmly greated by the staff and went to my lovely harbour view king room. Gorgeous fit. The view wasn't what I had remembered. I forgot that the hotel is a bit back so your views aren't terribly impressive, but we did have a great view of a tennis court which was fun to watch.

The staff are incredibly helpfu. One of the duty managers (Rydges feel free to contact me if you want more detail) showed us alternatives to our room (given my whinging about the view) and offered to move us if we wanted. After comparing the views I realised our room was perfectly fine. What I really appreciated was his attention and willingness to help. Housekeeping was also helpful (James?) and the rooms were immaculate. I loved the walk in shower.

The location is wonderful if you are a tourist, and there is a nice little happy hour to keep the smile on your face after a long day sightseeing!even a happy hour every evening : )

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe harbour king room if you can-it's well worth the extra $.
1  Thank LindaKayJ

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we were able to get you into your room so early after your very long flight from the US, it's always great to be able settle in as soon as possible.  The staff at he hotel really are great and do try and go that extra mile for our guests so it pleases me that you found this too, I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. And yes, Happy Hour is on every night and is a great way to wind down after a long day seeing the sights around town.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Really good location & smart room, very comfortable bed, steak restaurant looked great but unfortunately we didn't get to try it! Really easy to find the hotel because the Sky Tower is such a focal point, you won't get lost! We had a great view of the Sky Tower from our room & could see the people jumping off it. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you had a great stay with us on your recent trip into the city. The view of the Skytower is quite a special one, especially getting to see the brave souls jumping off it! Something I don't think I am quite brave enough to do myself! I hope the next time you come stay with us you do get to try our STK Restaurant, the food is fantastic and well worth a visit.
Looking forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Arrived in Auckland after completing a 12 night cruise. The staff we really helpful but as the hotel seems to be really popular they did not have a room for us until 1400. No worries walk down the hill to the ferry terminal and grab a ferry to Devonport.Checked into the hotel at around 1700. The room was large and comfortable and spotlessly clean. Quick shower and back to the harbour front for dinner. Yes great location and worked well for us.

Room Tip: High floor so you can look out over the city and get your bearings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland; I hope you had a wonderful 12 night cruise, it's always great to get away and do new things. I am pleased you found your room comfortable and spotlessly clean and you were easily able to find a great place for dinner a quick walk away from the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very convenient city centre hotel in easy reach of the waterside, main car hire companies, shopping and attractions such as SkyTower. Decent harbour view from 8th floor room, comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Wash basin very slow to drain, and TV reception variable. Excellent breakfast, and decent for evening meal.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the hotel is situated in a great location for everything you would want to see and do in the city and with wonderful views and very comfortable beds it makes for a fantastic place to stay. I am so pleased you enjoyed your meals in our STK Restaurant, the food and atmosphere is wonderful and something we are very proud of.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Good city location for shops, harbour & Sky Tower. Room was on the small side but of a high standard with a lovely wet room shower. Helpful friendly staff throughout and a very welcome happy hour in the bar.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am pleased you found your room to be of a high standard and the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I hope you had a great time in the city and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.