“Nice hotel for a central location in Auckland.”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice location, friendly staff and good rooms.

The bed was particularly comfortable.

The TV's signal was terrible though and only got like 7 channels.

Internet is free, but slow and glitchy. You can pay for a premium connection but I never tried it.

Overall a good place to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: December 2012
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you found the staff friendly and the bed particularly comfortable. The tv signal issue is being looked into now so I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back the Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and decided on this hotel simply for a couple of reasons:
1. we didn't want to splurge on hotel costs but at the same time we didn't want to compromise on a certain level of quality.
2. we wanted to go somewhere nearby without the hassle of travelling too far during the holiday season.

After comparing the prices on expedia.com and wotif.com, I checked the rydges members rates (through priority rewards, free to sign up) and I got a better deal out of it. All in all I paid about $160 for a one night stay package in the Superior King room. I believe this room is one of their standard sizes. This includes a continental breakfast for 2 adults and valet parking which was a good deal compared to the other travel websites.

As I booked the reservation through the Rydges website, I also ordered some chocolates at NZD15 as a surprise for my wife. If you are a chocolate fan, you would know that buying chocolates at $15 is a lot of money to spend on. Sadly I was really disappointed to say that I got some kind of bitter dark chocolate with boysenberry filling etc, my wife likes milk chocolate very much and is really picky about the kind of sweets she eats. I wish there was some kind of option to choose what kind of chocolate that I can have and even a small message card to go with it too.

Our room was located on the 11th floor, number 1103. We were lucky to have a decent view, we couldn't see much of the sea but got a small glimpse of it between buildings and best of all it was located on the corner so which means we had windows on 2 sides which makes the room nice and bright with plenty of light. The room was generally clean and the bed was quite comfortable. There's a reasonable sized closet room and the bathroom shower is a little bigger than compact but wide enough to not feel too squeezed in. There's also an in room airconditioner digital control on the wall which is good as you can control the temp of the room that's comfortable for you.

The amenities in the bathroom, to our surprise didn't come with a toothbrush kit and there were not any bathrobes. Also I had trouble using the phone to call housekeeping as the buttons didn't work. The only button that worked was the fast dial to reception. They advised me that the toothbrush kit was available for purchase at $3.50 each at the reception. (you can imagine my horror at hearing this..)

Wi-fi is free if you are a guest at the hotel, but the speed/connection is awfully slow. I think it's ok if you are trying to check emails but watching some videos or anything else would be too much for the broadband capacity at this stage.

The TV in the room was a 32inch flat screen. The quality of the display was extremely poor and very blurry, it hurts my eyes just trying to watch regular TV programs.

Breakfast was really good, the food was hot and fresh. There were a variety of things to choose from like scrambled eggs, toast (or fresh loaf breads), baked beans, mushrooms, hasbrowns, bacon, sausages, yoghurt, fresh cut fruit, cereal, juices and shots of spirulina and berry smoothies.

The staff were all very friendly and it made the stay reasonably enjoyable. We just felt a bit let down with the facilities in the hotel.

Room Tip: If you book through the Rydges website as a member, you can usually get a pretty good packaged deal...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I appreciate your very detailed review as it is with our guests’ comments and suggestions that we can clearly pin point any shortcomings the hotel may have and rectify them immediately. You are right, becoming a priority member entitles you to some great deals so it is well worth signing up. I am glad you found the staff very friendly and you enjoyed the fantastic buffet breakfast in our STK Restaurant.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
With kind regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Standard business style hotel. Clean good sized room, comfortable bed, flat screen TV. Great location near the sky tower and very competitive rates . Excellent restaurant with sensible prices. Quick check in and out. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the hotel is fantastic for both business and leisure guests with great competitive rates for an inner city hotel. You're right, our STK Restaurant truly is excellent and well worth a visit whether staying in the hotel or looking for somewhere to eat in town.
Thank you again for the review and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Well located in the center of the city - very close to the Auckland Sky Tower and 10-minute walk to the waterfront. Bonus points for giving us our two rooms early. The rooms itself are fine and the beds are very comfortable. The view from the rooms were nothing special. This is probably because we took whatever rooms were available because we wanted early check in. We appreciated the complimentary WIFI available in the rooms. Parking is NZ $22/night. My main concern was that we were out all day (from 8am to 6pm), but when we got back, neither of the rooms were cleaned. We wanted to take a shower and go out for dinner but there were no clean towels. I called the housekeeping number several times, but no answer. I called reception - no answer. I finally went down to reception to request maid service. The on duty manager was nice enough to give us a voucher for complimentary drinks while we waited, but we were still inconvenienced and missed our dinner reservation. I was also turned off by the moldy grout on the floor tiles of the bathroom. We could also hear the water running when the people in the neighboring rooms showered. I expected better.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for maid service if you want it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and we were able to check you in early to your rooms. I do apologise your rooms were not serviced during the day but I am pleased you bought this to my attention. It is through these reviews we can pin point any short comings we may have and rectify them immediately. I am glad you were able to enjoy a free drink in our STK Bar and Restaurant while you waited for your rooms to be serviced.
I look forward to welcoming you all back very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took two rooms through a deal for a family trip to see Mary Poppins, so just a one night stay. The rooms were spacious, beds were very comfortable & no noise to indicate other guests were in the hotel (and it was very busy!). One room had some issues with the bathroom service but overall it was great. A short walk downhill to cty centre (felt longer back on the uphill leg, but there were seats for the oldies to have a break!! Staff were really friendly and helpful. A glimpse of the harbour was an additional bonus.

Room Tip: View is better from upper floors
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you all enjoyed your night out to see Mary Poppins, I heard so many great reviews about the show so I hope your night out was great too.
I hope we can welcome you all back to Rydges Auckland again the next time there is a great show in town.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and found the staff to be fabulous....young and so accommodating and enthusiastic. The hotel is so central to all Auckland CBD has to offer. We just walked everywhere and from one place to the next it was easy walking. We were fortunate enough to have a view of skytower from our room which was nice. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the staff here really are fabulous and truly enjoy their work which I believe shows through in their fantastic friendly service. I am so pleased you were able to get out and about in Auckland and do as much as possible, Auckland certainly has a lot to offer.,
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Regards,

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed for one night with someone very special to me, our room was upgraded to a suite, this was the first special surprise, the bed was big, soft, cosy, comfortable, an absolute dream to sleep in. Everything was so clean, the bathroom large, and the staff, wonderful, friendly people, I would stay there again and again and would recommend to anyone wanting accommodation in Auckland.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the higher floors, the view is spectacular .
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so very pleased we were able to play a part in your special evening in Auckland.
I hope we can help you once again for another special night in town.