“Absolutely disappointing service in the beginning”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is not the first time I have checked in as a Priority Club member and not offered the member’s privileges.

Although there were 4 counters, only 1 person was ever at the desk.

Disappointed that the concierge and check-in staff did not know about the local parking situation. Only offered the next door car park which cost $20 per exit. When asked about the street parking and how the times worked, not one of them could explain it. In the end I asked a local person.

Also noted that when another guest asked for a Japanese restaurant nearby, they were directed to try Queen St whereas there 3 within 2-3 mins walk, one just around the corner.

Was not offered the internet. Later I checked for wifi and the Indian gentleman at the check-in said I could get free wifi in my room. It could have been offered earlier.

Was not offered the free welcome drink. Later was told to go to the bar to claim it. At the bar, the staff wasn’t sure about it and had to check with someone else.

Was unpacking when 2 housekeeping staff knocked and unlocked the door before I could open it. It would have been embarrassing if I were not dressed properly.

Found a packet of ham in the mini bar dated 26 Oct, 3 weeks ago.

Wondered why they bothered with complimentary drinks & nuts only for selected guests in the room. If it is complimentary, offer it to all guests or bring it up for your selected guests. People with limited English skills may mistake it as free. And also it was in very small print.

Having said my peace, the room itself was very comfortable with very comfy beds and a nice flat tv screen. Enjoyed the milo and a decent carton of milk. Good selection of teas & coffees. The teas & coffees were not replenished after Day 1. Had a very nice hot deep bath and fluffy towels.

Location is excellent, right next to Sky City. Lots of cafes and restaurants within 10 min walk in any direction. Lots of food choices. Close to Queen St and can walk to Quay St within 10 mins.
If you did not choose the breakfast option, there are heaps of places very close by. There were 2 places opened 24 hrs about a min walk. One is called Denny's and the other was Espresso or something similar. Don't think they were fine dining, but good if you have a early or red-eye flight and wanted something simple.

I am pleased that I got a room with views of Sky City tower was which was part of my original request which I booked through Priority Club.

By the second day, my requests were attended to. So I had gotten over my first day blues.
For the price (10% discount for Priority Club members) and location, it is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Higher floors have water views and there are floors that have stunning views of Sky City.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would like to apologise for your initial disappointment in the beginning of your stay with us, this is not the kind of service we usually pride ourselves on so I am pleased we were able to rectify it and you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Pleased be assured that all comments and reviews from all our guests are taken very seriously and are discussed in depth frequently at hotel management level so I thank you for your thoughts and suggestions within your review.
Thank you again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Rydges Auckland

Reviewed November 19, 2012

A late night flight saw us chose Rydges Auckland and we were impressed by the warm and accommodating staff and the comfortable rooms.

Rydges did lose our booking but the receptionist recovered well and checked us into an excellent room with a view of the Sky Tower and base jumpers.

The public areas of the hotel are good - coffee shop, bar with well chosen wine and restaurant.
The rooms have lots of nice touches - magazines, free movies, a good size tv and lots of other small but noticeable items.

This is our second stay here and it will be our first choice in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TiffyW_11

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we were able to recover your booking and check you into an excellent room with views of the Skytower, how great is it to see (and hear) the jumpers from the top? I would love to give it a go one day when I get the courage.
I hope we can welcome you back once again very soon.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Enjoyed the central location of the hotel to the various activities we planned during our stay in Auckland. We went for morning runs at Albert Park and walked around to Sky Tower and various other places. The hotel was very cozy and we had no real complaints other than the size of their gym - didn't have many equipment to offer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peeks313

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased to read you found the hotel in a very convenient location for your needs in town; Albert Park is a beautiful place to have a run around and is just down the road from the hotel. As you mentioned the hotel gym does have a limited amount of equipment but the machinery we have is of a very high standard.
I do hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
With best regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Nice hotel 2 blocks from the Sky Tower. Close to shopping, restaurants everything you need. Walk 2 blocks to the harbor. Staff was friendly and cordial. Beds and pillows were very comfortable, room was clean and modern. Beware of mini bar prices. Bar restaurant on premises. There is a charge for using their computer in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phillip c

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the hotel is in a great location as you mentioned and so close to so many attractions within the city. We do get so many great comments on our beds and pillows so I am pleased to read that you thought so too.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
With kind regards,

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights in October 2012. Even though members of the Rydges Club (or whatever it is called), we were not impressed. On arrival, we had to go through the usual lengthy check-in procedure even though everything was already recorded on our account, and no offer to take luggage to our room, or even where the lift was located. The room (harbour view) was adequate, but view of the harbour was not - mostly roofs of other buildings. Internet access very expensive, room amenities just adequate for a hotel of this quality. A major complaint is the breakfast quality, which can only be classified as poor: a greasy, soggy buffet of the worst kind, and absolutely not worth taking. Having to pay for a very ordinary coffee simply added insult to injury. There are very many better hotels in Auckland, and we would hesitate to stay at a Rydges again, in any city.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room at the very top if you are looking for a good harbour view, but it might be b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would like to apologise that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and has tarnished your view of Rydges. We usually receive rave reviews about our STK buffet breakfast and our Barist’a On the Corner coffees so it saddens me that on this occasion you did not agree.
I do hope we can welcome you and your wife back to Rydges Auckland very soon and change your impressions of us into a much favourable one.
With best wishes,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

For business, stayed for one night. Room was good and nicely furnished. Not big, but did not need this. the room was nicely turned down when i got in late.
Couple of points:
Mini bar hugely high prices - more than you normally encounter at hotels (and I know the costs are high). what I do not accept is trying to be tricked into 'free' stuff. Beware the bedside table with complimentary chocolates - with a note staying 'with complements'. Along side are two water bottles - you could interpret this as free too - no - $5 each for 600ml of NZ water - total rip off. Right there the hotel lost my respect

another point - I would hate to have arthritis or be eldery - pushing the button for the toilet is unacceptably hard.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am pleased to read you found your room nicely furnished and turned down when you arrived in late to the hotel.
You will be pleased to know that we are currently refurbishing our bathrooms, removing the baths and replacing them with large sleek showers, in addition to this we are replacing the button for the toilets so they protrude from the wall instead of being flush to make it easier for people to push. This decision was made due to the comments received by guests, all comments made are taken extremely seriously so I thank you for your thoughts and please be assured they will be reviewed by hotel management.
Thank you again for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
With best regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have stayed at Rydges in Auckland central before and feel really comfortable with the location with being able to walk to so many locations and feel safe. Room rate a little higher than previouse times so didnt expect to have to ask for more linen but hey other than that its....
Very-Good

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, yes you are right, the hotel is situated in a great location and so close to the theatre, the Viaduct, SkyTower, great shopping and so much more that you would want to do in town.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland once again very soon.
Warm regards,