“Not as great as I expected”

Sea Life Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium
Book In Advance
More Info
$28.40*
and up
Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium Entry Ticket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Kelly Tarlton’s is New Zealand’s most famous aquarium! It is home to New Zealand's only sub-Antarctic penguins and offers a myriad of opportunities to get up close and personal with incredible marine life from the Pacific and Southern oceans. For a truly incredible experience, take the plunge on an Animal Adventure jump into the shark tank and go snorkeling with 14 massive sharks or jump on the ice and get up close and personal with the King and Gentoo penguins!
Reviewed January 25, 2014

After being encouraged by friends to try this place out, I finally did. Not impressed. The animals were great to see and the penguins were particularly interactive but after making numerous trips to the Auckland Zoo, I had high expectations for Kelly Tarltons. I found the place quite small; it may be more suitable for children than for adults. It is better to book tickets online as it is significantly cheaper than buying at the counter.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2014

A pricey place to visit ($85 for 1 Adult, 1 Student, 1 Child) but me and my two teens spent a really interesting 2.5 hours here - we recommend the sting ray feeding plus shark feeding. Otherwise, we wouldn't have stayed nearly as long, and wouldn't have found it as interesting. Younger kids might not want to spend as much time, so it would be an expensive outing for them, but still worthwhile. The cafe was reasonably priced for Auckland cafes.

1  Thank KB0007
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I went because I wanted to see the penguins. They did not disappoint! Hubby and I spent about an hour and a half here. Free shuttle from town, but the last one to leave back to town is about 90 minutes before closing so if you want free shuttle both ways.,go early. If you have been to other aquariums, it is very similar. But like I said. Penguins were cool. Lots of them and fun to watch.

2  Thank bisbeesedona
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Its pretty cool i must say a great place to take FIRST TIMERS those who have never seen the place, the stingrays are amasingly enormous. Its not all that big though, food is expensive. The variety of marine life there is great.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Wow what a place you see Scot of the Artic then you meet the Penguins whats so nice is that if you stand still the Penguins come over to see you so your Face 2 Face with a real life penguin. When a shark comes past you think you have seen it all that is until it goes over your head. You get a chance to read all about the animals and you get to spend all the time you need no rushing you about or having to move on like your on a conveyor belt.

Price is a well balanced price for the type of attraction. When I booked on line and needed to change it at last minute they were so helpful I was really shocked. My downside is that the photo I had taken was not very good as a person who does such for a living I was shocked that they sent me on my way knowing that the photo had me obstruted by my little man.

Other downside was the cafe... It lacked a clear up they had no bins and no notices to tell you to self clear so tables were full of rubbish. Doors on Entry and Exit are not disbaled friendly yet the rest of the place is. If these downs were improved then I could easily give it 5 but sadly I can only score it 4 because of this.

1  Thank Paul2101