“Happy Feet for real :0)”

Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium
and up
Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Encounter & Underwater World is home to New Zealand's only sub-Antarctic penguins and offers a myriad of opportunities to get up close and personal with incredible marine life from the Pacific and Southern oceans.For a truly incredible experience, take the plunge on an Animal Adventure – we offer cage-free shark dives, PADI-recognised diver training, snorkel and scuba safaris through the Oceanarium or the chance to hand-feed the giant stingrays!
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The kids will love this adventure that includes an Antarctic section with Penguins that are adorable. The aquarium is awesome with Sharks and Rays close enough to touch. Great start point for a walk along the ocean or up to Takaparawha (Ngati Whatua lands that cover the hill behind) a fabulous vantage point for enjoying the Waitemata Harbour.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I first visited Kelly Tarlton's a few months after it had opened and was very impressed with what was then the new technology of the tunnel. Now living in NZ I still love it as it has expanded a great deal..
Comments about the cost suprise me as to keep all the inmates looking so good must be hugely expensive. It certainly takes us more than an hour to walk through as we like to really watch creatures close up that we would never normally see otherwise.
Yes, there are many other similar aquariums around now but I challenge you to have a find a better close up of Antartctic penquins, or have the ability to hand feed giant ray.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I visited with a group of 8 year old children. My daughter and I had been to Sea World in San Diego recently so to be honest I thought she'd be a little scathing about how this compared. I was wrong! She really enjoyed herself. Sure, it's nowhere near the size of a Sea World and doesn't have the wow factor or dolphins or orca, but we found the lower key approach of the staff here quite refreshing. They were helpful but not 'in your face'. The exhibits were nicely presented. The sting ray feeding was particularly enjoyable and all the children were fascinated. Our group also loved the small pool nearby where they could touch starfish. Sometimes the simple hands on things have the most appeal. There's a small play area near the sting ray pool with a padded wall the kids can climb up - in a group this was fine but parts of it are not easy to see so parents of smaller children or those not in a group would need to supervise that. I don't know that teens would find it as enthralling, but for younger kids I thought it was a nice way to fill in some time, and if the weather is good you can take a stroll along the path by the harbour afterwards enjoying fantastic views of Rangitoto.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We like to show this extensive aquarium to visitors particularly young ones.
Their excitement at the displays is most rewarding.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

An amazing experience, one I have revisited several times over the years. Very well laid out, informative and just a joy