“Kelly Tarlton”

$55.78*
24hr Hop On Hop Off Pass & Kelly Tarlton's SeaLife Aquarium Express Entry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Kelly Tarlton’s is New Zealand’s most famous aquarium! It is home to New Zealand's only sub-Antarctic penguins and offers a myriad of opportunities to get up close and personal with incredible marine life from the Pacific and Southern oceans. For a truly incredible experience, take the plunge on an Animal Adventure jump into the shark tank and go snorkeling with 14 massive sharks or jump on the ice and get up close and personal with the King and Gentoo penguins!
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Went ages ago and enjoyed it. Too expensive to do more than once for locals though.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,302)

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Kelly Tarlton in his endeavor to share his love for the ocean and marine life opened this wonderful aquarium. The place is rather small but well put together. There are turtles, seahorses, sand tiger sharks, stingrays and fish of all kinds. There are penguins, such as King’s and Gentoo’s, which I was pleasantly surprised to see. They were the highlight of my visit. The train you ride in is rather small and enclosed, which I recommend you do not take if you are claustrophobic. This attraction is fun and is ideal for everyone.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Apart from the huge queue, almost out the door, when we got there (I think we were unfortunate to arrive just after a tour bus) and the very long wait to get in as a result of it, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The only disappointment was the food. The cafeteria was pathetic. Considering this is a huge tourist magnet for international as well as local visitors, at 2.00pm I would still expect to get a decent meal. I did not fancy the 2 sandwiches or the one pie that was left, or fighting for a table to drink the cup of coffee which ended up being my lunch.

1  Thank AucklandMeringue
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Lovely place for the little ones but adults will be happy too. Save this one for a raining day.
Great experience seeing the penguins on their habitat.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Considering the price ($32 for adults) this place just doesn't cut it. The story is cool and it's certainly a compact location that is good for kids but I would not recommend it for a adults unless you're just looking to fill an hour or two. Considering the price, I certainly expected more viewing areas for the Penguins (there are 2 port holes other than the snowcat ride), more seats/organization with the shuttle bus (seats 21 but should seat 50 with improved queing) as we were turned away the first time and had to push our way on the next day! By the time we left, the line had extended outside by about 50 people with no where to park or move. I'm sure this is a great place for locals with an annual pass but for tourists, I'd recommend finding something else to do.

I truly believe this is one of Auckland's finest tourist traps!

1  Thank ScottySunDevil