“Fabulous service”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We were greeted by valet parking attendants who started what proved to be customer service excellence from all staff during our weekend stay. Reception staff were friendly and helpful offering free internet access codes to use in the hotel lobby. Facilities were great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Located centrally it was easy to get around the city. We dined at the Thai restaurant located within the hotel. Food was well presented and tasty. The buffet breakfast was satisfying and had plenty of choice. Thanks for a truly memorable experience. We will definitely return to stay again

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annietag
John M, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2014

Dear Annietag

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Come back and check out our refurbished rooms when they start coming back online in December.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Had an unexpected two night stay in Auckland and decided to go 5 star. First obstacle was reception The receptionist not only questioned our choice of a king size bed twice, as we were two females travelling together, but continued again and then again to offer twin beds. Gay friendly I think not. Wi fi very expensive and the buffet breakfast expensive for what was on offer. Valet parking very friendly and quick getting your car, but again another cost on your account.
Room was comfortable and the bathroom spacious but hairs in the bath off putting. Furniture and carpet looking tired. Would not stay again as Auckland has many other options offering proximity to CBD.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Helen K

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Please feel free to contact me: johnmoffett@spak.stamford.com.au to discuss your concerns as these are far below what is expected from our staff.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Decided to try Stamford as a change from usual Auckland breaks staying at Rendezvous Hotel. Whilst there was absolutely nothing bad to say about the service, rooms, facilities etc at the Stamford, there really wasn't anything particularly outstanding or exceptional either. No real points of difference in fact, apart from the location which is 2 minute easy walk from lower Queen Street.

The rooms were reasonably sized (though smaller than some of same price bracket), clean, but a little spartan and tired with not a single painting/decoration on the walls. The bed was large (two king singles attached to form super king) but not terribly comfortable. Bathroom was large with good shower pressure and large bath. I was surprised to find no in-room booklet or brochure listing the hotel's facilities and had to ring reception on a couple of occasions to ask for basic information (eg. where is the pool?).

On the whole, if a central location in the CBD is what you're after (short walk to Queen St/Britomart), or you're a business traveller without grand expectations, then worth considering. To be honest, I'd probably not return to the Stamford when the Rendezvous offers comparable or possibly even greater value for money. Had I paid full price for the room offered I have to say I would have been sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CallistoWellington

Dear CallistoWellington

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

You will be glad to hear we are undergoing a full refurbishment or our guest rooms and suites the first of which will be available from December.

Thank you again.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had booked the stay at the Stamford via a blind hotel search , hoping to get a bargain off season in Auckland. The Hotel is in a great location, the lobby is well presented was my first impressions.
The room was a homage to the 80's with poor quality furniture. Being off season it required the heating on in the room, this was poorly controlled from the 80's thermostat which was poor at regulating a temperature. The bed only had a sheet with no blankets available in the room, though you could ask, but i was too jet lagged to catch housekeeping.The plus for the room was the water pressure in the bathroom excellent. I did find that the hotel was geared to penny pinching, example asking for a flat white at breakfast , you have to pay more than the standard breakfast charge? My Uncle dropped me off at the hotel on arrival and waited to take me to lunch , was charged £16.00 on my room bill for his 12minutes of parking. ( He's 74 years of age) crazy.
The internet wifi was expensive and not to a standard that merited the high cost, poor download speeds. The gym and pool are well equipped, however the treadmills are located on carpeted pythons, and fall off when an incline is selected. This has a the potential to be is very dangerous combination for the unwise and frail. I don't think I would stay again , due to the penny pinching approach. I stayed for 7 days , would have moved had I not paid in advance.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Itunesjamie

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Feel free to contact me directly: johnmoffett@spak.stamford.com.au if you would like to discuss any of your issues further. you will be happy to know the gym has gone through a complete upgrade of all its equipment and those platforms for the new treadmills are gone. The guest rooms are also undergoing a full refurbishment including new technology and air con control.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I got a great deal on a room here by booking together with my flight. It may not be as cool as a couple of the other Auckland hotels, but if you need to be in the CBD and don't plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel or room it's great, and a lot less expensive. Check in and check out very efficient, car valet always had my car ready on time, and the room was very clean and plenty big, and quiet during the day and night. I also got free wifi with my booking. The only knock is the same other reviewers have brought up - the bed is a bit firm, and the blanket for the bed in really too thin. A thin blanket and a sheet. If you are used to something like Westin's heavenly bed, this could be an issue. I don't like to turn up the heat, so it was an issue for me. There is a gym, and it's about average. A couple of treadmills and bikes, but not a lot of weight equipment. I did not try the restaurant as there are great options within walking distance. If you have a car and park in the hotel, its about $30 per day. There is public parking close by that may be more cost effective.

Room Tip: I went for a high floor and it was very quiet. I had a room on the back, so no street noise at all.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear FakeAnthonyBoudain

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Be sure to check out our newly appointed Gym nest time you are in town, its now the best in the city !
The bed and blanket issues have been taken on board and these will be addressed with the refurbishment our rooms which is currently underway.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

By the way your profile name is genius !

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed for two nights. Everything was fine. Room was spacious with complete amenities.
I like the spacious bathroom with bath and shower and separate toilet.
Bed was king size and more than enough for two. Pillow was a bit hard for me. But you can always trick it somehow.
Location was great. It was few minutes walking to Queen Street. There are some places to eat around the hotel.
Overall it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear widawida

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Visiting Auckland for our wedding anniversary we were pleased with our choice. We've stayed here once before and appreciated the value, service and positioning to downtown Auckland CBD. Bed was comfortable, room was clean and staff were welcoming and friendly. A great stay, we'll be back again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Newlyweds246

Thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glads to have had you back with us. Come back and check out our refurbished rooms when you can.