“Great location, but probably better options in price bracket”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Decided to try Stamford as a change from usual Auckland breaks staying at Rendezvous Hotel. Whilst there was absolutely nothing bad to say about the service, rooms, facilities etc at the Stamford, there really wasn't anything particularly outstanding or exceptional either. No real points of difference in fact, apart from the location which is 2 minute easy walk from lower Queen Street.

The rooms were reasonably sized (though smaller than some of same price bracket), clean, but a little spartan and tired with not a single painting/decoration on the walls. The bed was large (two king singles attached to form super king) but not terribly comfortable. Bathroom was large with good shower pressure and large bath. I was surprised to find no in-room booklet or brochure listing the hotel's facilities and had to ring reception on a couple of occasions to ask for basic information (eg. where is the pool?).

On the whole, if a central location in the CBD is what you're after (short walk to Queen St/Britomart), or you're a business traveller without grand expectations, then worth considering. To be honest, I'd probably not return to the Stamford when the Rendezvous offers comparable or possibly even greater value for money. Had I paid full price for the room offered I have to say I would have been sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CallistoWellington
John M, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2014

Dear CallistoWellington

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

You will be glad to hear we are undergoing a full refurbishment or our guest rooms and suites the first of which will be available from December.

Thank you again.

Kindest regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,298)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had booked the stay at the Stamford via a blind hotel search , hoping to get a bargain off season in Auckland. The Hotel is in a great location, the lobby is well presented was my first impressions.
The room was a homage to the 80's with poor quality furniture. Being off season it required the heating on in the room, this was poorly controlled from the 80's thermostat which was poor at regulating a temperature. The bed only had a sheet with no blankets available in the room, though you could ask, but i was too jet lagged to catch housekeeping.The plus for the room was the water pressure in the bathroom excellent. I did find that the hotel was geared to penny pinching, example asking for a flat white at breakfast , you have to pay more than the standard breakfast charge? My Uncle dropped me off at the hotel on arrival and waited to take me to lunch , was charged £16.00 on my room bill for his 12minutes of parking. ( He's 74 years of age) crazy.
The internet wifi was expensive and not to a standard that merited the high cost, poor download speeds. The gym and pool are well equipped, however the treadmills are located on carpeted pythons, and fall off when an incline is selected. This has a the potential to be is very dangerous combination for the unwise and frail. I don't think I would stay again , due to the penny pinching approach. I stayed for 7 days , would have moved had I not paid in advance.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Itunesjamie

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Feel free to contact me directly: johnmoffett@spak.stamford.com.au if you would like to discuss any of your issues further. you will be happy to know the gym has gone through a complete upgrade of all its equipment and those platforms for the new treadmills are gone. The guest rooms are also undergoing a full refurbishment including new technology and air con control.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I got a great deal on a room here by booking together with my flight. It may not be as cool as a couple of the other Auckland hotels, but if you need to be in the CBD and don't plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel or room it's great, and a lot less expensive. Check in and check out very efficient, car valet always had my car ready on time, and the room was very clean and plenty big, and quiet during the day and night. I also got free wifi with my booking. The only knock is the same other reviewers have brought up - the bed is a bit firm, and the blanket for the bed in really too thin. A thin blanket and a sheet. If you are used to something like Westin's heavenly bed, this could be an issue. I don't like to turn up the heat, so it was an issue for me. There is a gym, and it's about average. A couple of treadmills and bikes, but not a lot of weight equipment. I did not try the restaurant as there are great options within walking distance. If you have a car and park in the hotel, its about $30 per day. There is public parking close by that may be more cost effective.

Room Tip: I went for a high floor and it was very quiet. I had a room on the back, so no street noise at all.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear FakeAnthonyBoudain

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Be sure to check out our newly appointed Gym nest time you are in town, its now the best in the city !
The bed and blanket issues have been taken on board and these will be addressed with the refurbishment our rooms which is currently underway.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

By the way your profile name is genius !

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed for two nights. Everything was fine. Room was spacious with complete amenities.
I like the spacious bathroom with bath and shower and separate toilet.
Bed was king size and more than enough for two. Pillow was a bit hard for me. But you can always trick it somehow.
Location was great. It was few minutes walking to Queen Street. There are some places to eat around the hotel.
Overall it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear widawida

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Come back and check out our refurbished rooms when they start coming back online in December.

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Visiting Auckland for our wedding anniversary we were pleased with our choice. We've stayed here once before and appreciated the value, service and positioning to downtown Auckland CBD. Bed was comfortable, room was clean and staff were welcoming and friendly. A great stay, we'll be back again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Newlyweds246

Thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

So glads to have had you back with us. Come back and check out our refurbished rooms when you can.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

The room was very dull and the breakfast very poor. Food is not fresh or appealing. Won't stay again. I had a cooked breakfast and it seemed to me that everything had been diluted , the coffee, the juice, the hot breakfast was insipid frankly.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank roland_agar

Dear Roland Agar

Thank for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I will be sure to pass on the feedback regarding your breakfast to our Executive Chef and head of Food and Beverage.

You will be happy to hear we are currently undergoing a full refurbishment of our guest rooms and suites which will make them anything but dull.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed there with my mother for one night on our way through from Tahiti. I think it was great value for money for what it was. You could not beat the location and the room had all the nice small touches: mini bar, toiletries, iron, safe, hair dryer. The styling was a little old school so maybe we weren't in the newer part that others mentioned. A very good centrally located hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear JessamineWalker

Thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Fantastic to hear you made such good use of the hotels fantastic facilities, you will be happy to hear we are currently undergoing a full refurbishment of our guest rooms so everything will be looking brand new for you next stay with us.