“Comfortable, modern rooms”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our NZ trip. The room was great - big, comfortable with a fab view of the Sky Tower. The hotel pool & sauna were also good - useful when jetlag wakes you up at 5.30am! We also used the East Day Spa for a massage and this was seriously good, well worth it.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,645)

Reviewed May 2, 2010

This was a great hotel - clean, modern, roomy, helpful staff, great location - read more about our experience and travels in New Zealand at www.travelsketchwrite.com

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2010

This hotel is amazing I loved the time I spent here! The hotel is very central in Auckland and close to everything - cabs, buses, shopping malls, attractions (casino, Sky tower), banks, restaurants, bars and clubs, spas and even markets!

My friend and I flew with pacific blue from Australia to Auckland (loved it) and arrived at our hotel at 1am! The lobby was beautiful and reception/concierge are 24 hours. Considering it was a very early morning check in we understood our twin room was not ready, but the staff were most accomodating - they offered us a room on the 10th floor but we had to share a queen bed for the night. We were grateful to be able to check in at this time! The staff were so friendly and helpful/apologetic they even offered to bring up a rollaway bed from the other sky city hotel. We didn't need that though - the porters took all our luggage up to the room for us as well which was excellent.

Throughout our stay, all of the staff - concierge, reception and doormen were really friendly and welcoming - they made our stay amazing!

The initial room we had was smallish but very clean and had a very large and comfortable bed, huge bathroom, TV, fridge and mini bar.

The next night we got moved to our twin room we originally booked which was fantastic - level 10, very clean, great views of the sky tower and auckland, a tv, mini bar etc . The bathroom was gigantic and modern - separate bath and shower, a large mirror and bench area.

Both beds were really comfy and we slept well because there was very little outside noise if any at all, and the room was completely dark when we closed the thick curtains. Room service was avaiable, the menu looked delicious but had the usual room service price tag.

I absolutely loved staying here and would definetly return - My one and only complaint is that the internet provided by the hotel in room is not free wireless. Its $10 for 2 hours access and we were both able to access at the same time. We found the lack of free wifi consistent throughout Auckland and Wellington hotels that we visited. We used the internet alot from our room but because we could both connect at the same time, it was not very expensive to split the charges. An alternative is there are a couple of 24 hour internet cafes across the road which were much cheaper.

The hotel itself also has heaps of restaurants and bars and was directly connected by walkway to the the sky city casino. Inside there were even more restaurants and bars. From there You can even access the Sky tower.

The hotel has a great location and the staff were able to give us information and directions to lots of touristy activities - they also were able to organise airport/hotel transfers and reliable wake up calls. They also had a spa and a heated pool on the roof - unfortunately we just didn't have enough time to see it all!

I'll definetly be returning to show this hotel off to my family!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Well where do i start ,this is not a grand hotel like the name would suggest ,I checked in and all looked good ,The room however was way off the mark ,the carpet was really dirty and stained ,hairs in the bathroom and in the sink ,the bathroom door had something sticky all over it ,the guest compendium had pages missing and a child had been let lose in it with a pen ,there were marks all over the luggage rack ,The attention to detail is just not there ,The executive housekeeper is in the wrong job !!! ,I had a friend with me and we decided to order room service ,we ordered the "Grand Burger " and the pattie seriously looked and tasted like it had been frozen

This hotel is a joke and the senior management need to travel to london and stay in a 5 star hotel there to see how its done !!!

To top the stay off the wake up call was 20 mins late, and not a phone call but a knock at the door !!!!! Bizzare ,Oh and a 21 inch CRT TV for a grand hotel ,I dont think so

Will never be back !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2010

The hotel was quiet, clean comfortable, with very friendly and helpful staff. The best buffet breakfast in New Zealand (perhaps the world). Quality sausages, no greasy bacon, soft scrambled egg and portions held in individual dishes, ensuring all food was freshly prepared. Succulent small portions of medium rare steak, wide range of fruit and beautifully presented yoghurts. Eggs Benedict to die for. Recounting this makes me hungry.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was there for a seminar and stayed two nights at the hotel. First impression was that it was a very nice hotel. Room size was alright since i am staying alone. One of the drawbacks was that the information booklet they had was this tattered and torn cover folder holding them together, definitely does not go with the hotel's image at all.

The breakfast was good, though the selection was rather small. Another feedback was that getting into the hotel apart from the main entrance was difficult, it took us a while to realised that you can access the hotel from the spa facility at the basement and not take a large detour to the main entrance. There should be clearer indications or alternative entrances for guests.

Overall, given the location and the price of the hotel room, it is a worthwhile place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for the second and third nights after our wedding. We booked through 'Wotif' and got a great rate that included valet parking and breakfast for two days.

On arrival, the concierge was so welcoming and he was the highlight of our stay: courteous, kind, concerned and all with such a genuine air of caring. Not surprisingly, his staff of bellhops and valet staff were equally charming, helpful and thorough. I would go back because of him alone! GRAND.

The front of house staff were 'not so grand'. When I checked in, I felt I was interrupting something and did not feel like the 5 star guest I had felt like 30 seconds ago with the concierge. Not so grand.

The room was spacious - a harbor view is desirable - and the beds are comfy. I agree the TV's were tiny and looked quite dated amongst everything else. The bathroom is ludicrous. As per other reviews, the shower floods the bathroom and the positioning of the shower door makes getting into the meter-square shower, quite the task! The EastDay Spa amenities are nice though.

The breakfast is fantastic. Try and get a deal that includes the breakfast as I am not sure I would have paid $37 per person (my husband KNOWS he wouldn't have!).

We had some concerns with customer service regarding billing and did not find the front of house staff to be too helpful with this. They were in fact, argumentative. On arrival home, I wrote to the hotel management and after a quick initial response followed by a delay, followed by a reminder from me, I got a favorable response thanking us for our comments both positive and critical and the promise of an upgrade (subject to availability) and VIP status on our return to Sky City Grand. Whilst a nice gesture, we live in Japan and are moving to the US so not sure when we will be back in New Zealand - plus you only get to experience your first week of married life together once and it was unfortunate that some of it was spent navigating very poor customer service.

Overall, it was a fine place to stay but I wouldn't rave about it - except for the fabulous concierge!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple