“Huge”

Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Huge”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Very clean. Great lap pool and gym. Very high, vertigo looking out of the windows. Very good service but too big to be comfortable. I thought $35 to park the car was a bit of a rip off and service is good but people wait for a tip which makes me uncomfortable as I hadn't taken cash as we were just there for one night and I never thought I'd need cash.

Room Tip: $35 to park the car was a bit excessive
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear RBridget

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Grand.

Thank you for your comments – we constantly review ours charges to ensure they are in line with our competitors and we also have the option of self parking with one exit for a $20 – please don’t hesitate to enquire about this option on your next stay and the team will be happy to help.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tauranga
Reviewed June 19, 2014

If you are looking for a great location with fantastic rooms, staff and value for money and my view you can't do past the Grand as the place to stay. The newly remodelled rooms have a great feel to them!!! Love the fact that you can call into the Depot next door for healthy and quick breakfast.

1 Thank John W
Dear John W

Thank you for your review of The Grand.

It was great to read feedback from a return guest and I look forward to passing it onto the team – they love to hear that our guests have had a great time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Macau, China
Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Grand is one of two hotels at the SkyCity entertainment complex. It is the more up-market option, in particular because it offers better views than the other hotel, which is located in the same building as the complex's casino.
Depending on traffic, the hotel is 30-40 minutes from Auckland International Airport. The reception area has been reduced in recent years, as Sean Connolly's The Grill restaurant has been located in part of what was the originally vast reception and lobby area.
Our room was located on the 17th floor; rooms are available up to and including the 21st floor. The room had an excellent view across Auckland Harbour. The king bed was very comfortable, and the room had all the amenities to be expected of a quality hotel. The only disappointment was the bathroom, which was small and rather dark.
Two real positives for the hotel. First, both The Grill and Gusto, also by Sean Connolly, are located within the premises, on the ground floor. We ate at both, and commend them highly. Gusto is ore informal, and ideal for breakfast and lunch. Secondly, it is connected by bridge to the casino, accessed from the 5th floor. The casino is nothing to write home about, but it does offer a unique form of entertainment in Auckland.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the views
Dear greenstOat24

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We now have 5 floors that are complete with the next phase due to start in a couple of months – very exciting!

There have been a number of changes to our lobby area and I am delighted you had the opportunity to eat at both Gusto and The Grill and I will pass your compliments onto the teams.

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel itself is great but the service certainly needs some improving!

1) The cleaning staff are VERY loud in the hallways. The doors are thin and you can hear every last word. They made no attempt to be quiet what so ever. Party in the hallway, anyone?

2) I paid for valet parking during my stay. One morning when my car turned up, the guy who delivered it had changed the radio station to some hip-hop station. Unprofessional to say the least.

3) I had to ask 3 times to have my dry cleaning collected from my room. The first time I left the clothes in the bag provided with the filled in slip ON the bed for the cleaners and it was missed. The second time I rang reception and the third time I walked down to reception.

So as my title suggests, the hotel is almost there. The bed is fantastic, the food out of this world, the room very modern and clean... Just tweak the service!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Whitney T

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

Though pleased that you enjoyed our rooms, and numerous restaurants and bars, I was disappointed to read the remainder of your comments about your stay. I welcome you to contact me directly, with some further information, so that I can look into this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 16, 2014

great location,walking distance to viaduct,brtitomart, cbd, waterfront and so many great bars, and restaurants close by.Right next door to casino. We stayed on the 17th floor harbour view luxury room.Would recommend this view looked out to harbour bridge, city. Nice bathroom shower a little on small side.Great big tv, could do with a few more channels lifestyle,movies etc. Modern rooms, great for afternoon sun,sunsets, view of sky tower. Nice big comfy beds-could feel the join in the middle -however this is common in many hotels.Air con made a rattle -so we just turned it off told reception at check out. Very smart public spaces-nver had a chance to use pool . will definitely come back.booked a few weeks out and got a stay for three rate -booked direct only 169 nzd(did get an ungrade ) 169 for city view not harbour.I am an accor member this hotel far nicer than pullman and cheaper. Thanks for a greta stay.

Room Tip: Hight floor 17th or above-harbour view if you can get it. Not overly large the rooms but the view ma...
2 Thank NouvelleZealand
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear NouvelleZealand

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback – I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will look to return in the future.

Our Harbour View Rooms are very popular, don’t hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay and I will be more than happy to assist with your booking.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at the Skycity Grand to celebrate my wife's birthday, the package we booked was the 'Baby Grand' which included valet parking, late check out, breakfast, chocolate and a bottle of bubbles, we were kindly upgraded to a Premium King suite. The suite was fantastic it really made our stay special.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Dear Pam185

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us to celebrate your wife’s birthday and I delighted that the team recognised the occasion and upgraded you to one of our newly refurbished suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We arrived on Sunday 1st June it was very busy. We had valet parking and cars were all the way out to Federal Street. As I checked in my husband waited in the car for no more than 5 minutes - concierge had him sorted out very quickly. We were lucky to have a Premium Harbour view room on the 17th Floor. Wow it was fantastic, view great, comfortable bed and so quite. Had a great stay as location very central. On checkout the gentleman at reception was so helpful and pleasant. The doorman what a friendly guy on both checkin and checkout. Had a laugh with them both and they are an asset to The Grand as they are your first point of contact.
We will definately be back awesome place to stay.

Room Tip: The higher floors are very quite and harbour views are a must.
Dear FATCAT14

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel and thank you for your positive feedback. It was a pleasure to read and I look forward to passing it onto the team and in particular to our wonderful commissionaires – aren’t they marvellous!

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.