“Very good central hotel”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is part of the Sky City Complex, it is quite a stiff 500m uphill walk from the main street, Queen Street, but the Inner city bus link stops at the door. Some of Auckland's best restaurants are on the same site.
There are only three lifts to service the rooms, conference suites and so on. They provide a slow service often with full cars too, meaning many stops on the way up or down.
Our Harbour view room on the 17th floor was a good sized room with pleasant furnishings, a very comfortable bed and a pillow menu to taste.
There was a floor to ceiling window with a view over the industrial edge of the CBD to the upper harbour and bridge. The curtains did not provide a perfect blackout. If you have arrived during the day on a long overnight flight with a big time change and want to get some daytime sleep the room is reasonably dark, too dark to read, but still light.
The Bathroom is well designed with a bath and a separate walk in shower. There are interesting, quality, local amenities but really only sufficient for one person unless carefully rationed. Good supply of thick fluffy towels.
The Wifi signal in the room was strong and the connection was fast and reliable. It was free on the package I was on but I am not sure if it is free for all bookings.
The Breakfast buffet was four star in quality. The scrambled eggs are cooked in small quantities and refreshed frequently so always look and taste fresh and the bacon was the best I can recall in any breakfast buffet. In a land of fresh fruit by the bucket load it was a pity about the orange juice, cheap and nasty, tasting of wax and cardboard with no hint of orange.
In summary a good modern hotel in an interesting area and with immediate access to some of Auckland's best restaurants, up to five star quality in most areas, but the lifts, drapes and breakfast four star.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GBSLondon
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear GBSLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

As mentioned in your review, we have plenty of restaurants and bars on site - we are lucky to have over 20 outlets - including restaurants run by famous chefs, namely Nic Watt, Sean Connolly, Al Brown and Peter Gordon. We are going to be adding to this, with another restaurant in the hotel lobby due to open mid-February.

I was pleased to read that you stayed in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We have planned the refurbishment at length, and have completed three floors of the hotel. I was disappointed that the curtains were not up to black our standard - it would be great if you could contact me on the email address below and let me know which room you stayed in, so that I can check on this, and address with the manufacturer.

We are proud to offer complimentary WiFi to all of our hotel guests - it is one of the most important things when travelling, and we are pleased that we can offer this at no charge to our guests.

I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast in The Terrace to the Restaurant Manager and the Chef, so that they are aware of your comments. It would be great to know the dates of your stay, so that we can ascertain what happened that day, as this is definately not our usual standard.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,586)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We arrived after our cruise ship docked and the hotel allowed us to check-in at 10am, which was a blessing. We then headed directly outdoors in front of the hotel and got on the sight seeing hop on hop off double decker bus for the day. Very convenient location. After a long day we paid to go up to the sugar tower 60th floor bar and have a few drinks and apps and enjoy the view. The casino on site was ok, but blackjack tables too high $$ for me and slots seemed tight. No one was winning that I could see, and we certainly didn't. We ended up eating at their outdoor restaurant for dinner and it was fab.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KkFiff
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear KkFiff,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and experienced the Sugar Club by Peter Gordon in the Sky Tower. We are lucky to have so many fabulous restaurants at SKYCITY. The lobby bar in the Grand Hotel has recently opened, and we are looking forward to the new restaurant opening in the lobby as well - mid to late February.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon - please contact me directly so that I can make your reservations for you.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We enjoyed a stay here after our wedding and we were greeted with a nice card upon our arrival congratulating us (although I would have thought a bottle of bubbles might have been a nice touch). We enjoyed a very comfortable and large room with great views. Comfy bed and pillow selection, large and well supplied bathroom and a large tv. Good size mini bar as well and access to lots of great restaurants. Great located and valet parking was an added bonus!

The onyl let down was the breakfast the next day, it was relatively unders stocked and the food was a little on the stale side, perhaps a sign of how long it had been out for?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Kiwigurl2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Congratulations on your recent marriage. I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us - we are spoilt for choice with the fantastic restaurants on site - our hotel Lobby bar has just reopened and we are looking forward to the new restaurant in the hotel lobby opening in late February 2014.

I was disappointed to read about your breakfast experience and have passed your feedback on to our restaurant manager and head chef - this is definately not our usual standard, and we will use this feedback as a training tool for our food and beverage team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future - please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Not too many words needed to describe the 5star hotel but anyway I will try to point out some of the pros and cons I found during my staying.
Location: I would say pretty god – close to the sky tower, 5-10 minutes walking from the airport-bus stop and, if you’re travelling the country by bus, 5 minute walking from the intercity main terminal.
Piers are 10/15 minutes away
Staff is quite friendly, rooms are spacious and clean enough and wi-fi connection is working almost well. Breakfast is rich enough and I suggest booking a fare with breakfast included to avoid paying 35 dollars (which seems a bit too much) unless you want to join one of the many opportunities outside the hotel (please do).
Several restaurants are close by
Hotel has also a very useful business center where you can surf or print document for free

1  Thank backpacker_f

Dear backpacker_f,

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us - we are very proud of the services that we deliver at the hotel, and I am glad that you were able to experience everything while you stayed with us.

We have over 20 restaurants and bars on site at SKYCITY - our hotel lobby bar has just reopened and we are looking forward to the new restaurant opening in the hotel lobby in late February 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed over Christmas and although we enjoyed our stay I felt the hotel was lacked character.
The room on 22nd floor had wondrful views over the harbour and was comfortable but there were little things that could have ben better. There was nothing in the room about how things worked. After failing to gret the tv working we checked with reception and were told we had to point the remote at the desk for it to register.
The air conditioning had a mind of it's own and when it stuck on 24 degrees we had to get them to fix it. Also I never did work out how to set the alarm on the clock/radio.
A bit more info in the room would have been helpful.
Another niggle were the bedside lights which were very bright, and got very hot, but once in bed it was very difficult to reach up to swtich them off without getting up again.
The staff were friendly and the Christmas decorations in the lobby nice but whether it was because it was Christmas or whether it was connected to the building work outside most of the restaurants in Sky City were closed as was the hotel bar on 2 of our 3 day stay,
Excellent location.

Room Tip: If you want a good view then you have to pay more for a room.
1  Thank barneyvip

Dear barneyvip,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was disappointed to read about your experience in your room- are you able to get in touch with me so that I can ascertain which room you were staying in, so that we can rectify the issues mentioned in your review.

Federal Street is undergoing major redevelopment currently, and the work is due to be completed outside of the hotel at the end of January 2014. The rest of the street will be completed in May 2014.

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to the room you stayed in = please contact me on the details below.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Skycity Grand Hotel from December 28th to January 1st (including NYE). We booked a Luxury Harbour View room because we wanted to watch the fireworks from a great location Initially, they placed us in a room on level 14th with very limited view. After I expressed my discontent via a Tripadvisor review, the manager of the hotel contacted me an re-located us in a much better room. I'm really impressed by the prompt solution I received to my review. The manager and his team were very professional and ready to assist
Apart of the fantastic view, I would like to highlight other excellent elements of staying at this Hotel. Their food is excellent, the breakfast buffet is of high quality and variety. The service at The Terrace is excellent also. Check in and check out process were very efficient and accurate. The gym is small but has enough resources and the business centre is clean and well equipped.
In summary, we had a great end of the year in Auckland and a big part of it was thanks to the Skycity Grand Hotel. I strongly recommend it and I will be happy to come back to the same Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a Luxury Harbour View. If possible, ask for a room above level 17th.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Chevalierlatin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us at the Grand Hotel.

We encourage our guests to engage with our team members on reception, if they are dissatisfied with any element of their stay, so that we will have the opportunity to ensure the rest of your stay continues smoothly. We are also very active on Tripadvisor, and take any review very seriously - when I read your review, I was disappointed that you were not enjoying yourselves at our hotel, however I was pleased when the team were able to offer you and your partner an alternative for the rest of your stay.

We take pride in the service that we offer, so I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay over the New Year period. We strive for excellence in all areas, at all times, and I am glad to read that you had a wonderful experience.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I can assist with your reservations.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in December 2013.
This hotel is located across the Skycity casino in the heart of Auckland.
Our room was really nice with a fabulous view on Auckland's bay but the bathroom was a bit too small for us.
Unfortunately, there were some loud roadworks at the entrance of the hotel plus the gourmet restaurant was close!
Luckily, the staff was very helpful and nice. A special big up to Kevin who welcomes each guest with his great sense of humanity

Room Tip: Rooms facing Auckland's Bay are exceptional
1  Thank Moanaura T

Dear Moanaura T,

We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and I was pleased to read that you dealt with Kevin during your stay - he is one of our shining stars!

We do apologise for the works being undertaken right outside of the hotel - this is all in preparation for the upgrade of Federal Street - it will become more pedestrian friendly, and allow the street to have a more vibrant feel to it. The works will be completed in May 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please contact me directly so that I can make your reservations for you.