“A Favourite”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bangkok, Thailand
“A Favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had some great stays here. Very nice modern rooms and great position near the city center. SHort walk to shops, cinemas and sights of the city. Connected by air bridge to the casino. Great Mexican cafe across the road.

Room Tip: Non water views are cheaper.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear david f

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased you have enjoyed your stays with us - we are certainly in a perfect location within Auckland.

We have just commenced our refurbishment of our rooms and I welcome you to have a look at our website, bookings can be made now for stays from 18th November.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Excellent service! All staff are polite and helpful. Fantastic hotel facilities. Room service is fast upon calling.
One bad point is that people doing room tidying sometimes forget to give sufficient towels and toilet rolls.
Good location, close to all modes of transport, easy to access to highways to Auckland suburbs. Many good choices of restaurants either in Grand Hotel or nearby.

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank dannyleungyp
Dear dannyleungyp

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel.

Thank you for your positive feedback which was a delight to read, I look forward to passing it onto the team. I will also pass your comments onto our Executive Housekeeper and again thank you for providing us with an opportunity to improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Valet, check in and all staff no matter what annoying questions or requests we had were excellent! Nothing was too much. Beautiful hotel and of course great location. Such a huge pitty about the rooms really. Its certainly not cheap to stay therefore we were really disappointed in how plain, dated and unspecial the rooms were. Not grand WHATSOEVER.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sylvia M
Dear Sylvia M

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

Firstly, I am delighted the team looked after you during your stay and I will pass your kind comments onto the team.

Following your feedback, I have wonderful news. We have just commenced a full refurbishment of our rooms and I am really looking forward to the completion of the first floor which will be on 18th November. Our SKYCITY website has full details of the rooms and I welcome you to have a look.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future – if you need any assistance with booking don’t hesitate to ask me.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Probably the 4th time I've stayed at the SkyCity Grand, we love the indoor salt water pool , sauna and spa pool area. Aside from that, its in a great location for taking the jump from the sky tower, just around the corner from the Civic and only a short walk to Queen Street shopping etc. The rooms are very comfortable with nice beds and furnishings, also lovely bathrooms ,all what you'd expect from a quality hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra and got a room with a view of the sea and the sky tower, loved it
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jessmadam
Dear jessmadam

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel, it is just lovely to hear from our return guests and I will pass your feedback onto the team.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit to The Grand Hotel.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great hotel. For our anniversary, they upgraded us to a Harbor view, and greeted us with a bottle of champagne AND a handwritten note. It was above and beyond, and the hotel was lovely on top of it all.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda A
Dear Amanda A

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel and again Happy Anniversary from the team.

We love looking after our guests and so pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade to our Harbour View Room and bubbly and card that was in your room.

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is my 3rd trip to Skycity Grand since it opened.
My first stay was only month after it opened - very grand indeed in comparison to Aucklands offerings at the time
My second stay was about two years ago - still nice, but on par with many other great hotels in Auckland
My 3rd stay in October 2013 - confirmation that there is very little difference between the Grand and the regular Sky City hotel, and that there are many other options for better value in Auckland

LIFTS DON'T PROVIDE A VERY GRAND SERVICE.
The lifts take FOREVER, and I mean FOREVER. Also not all of them seemed to be working because as we stood there with about 15 Rihanna fans who were crazed with excitement (good for them, but not my thing) we watched one lift transition up and down the floors (every floor but ours) but the others didn't move the floors they appeared to be stuck on.

ROOMS LACKING GRANDUER
The room are rather dated and you could almost be mistaken for taking the wrong (and very slow) lifts to the regular Sky City hotel. I also stayed across the way at Skycity Hotel for a conference in August. Coming to the Grand in October I expected nicer, better, grander.... but I was disappointed. They look the same... why did I spend the extra $$$ for Grand?

BATHROOMS A GRAND DISAPPOINTMENT
The bathrooms at the regular Sky City hotel are nicer than the Grand - this does not make sense? Also, the Sky City Grand website advertises things such as "Luxury Bathroom Products" which in areas on the website it references as the same available at East Day Spa - can tell you that this certainly isn't true! The bathroom is stocked with "PURIRI" products which are the same as the regular Sky City Hotel and many other 3 star hotels/motels around the country. Still nothing Grand here then.

POSITIVES....
The staff are lovely, and even during the busy check in time they remained polite and efficient. Our wait was helped by the fact there were offerings of free cookies at reception. The staff were also helpful at confirming our bookings at East Day Spa and The Grill for dinner.
The Grill and The Terrace are both great restaurants and offer a good quality of food.

In summary, I would possibly save the extra $$ next time and head for some of the other hotels on offer in the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear thelawsons_nz

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

Firstly thank you for your positive feedback regarding the great service you received from the team and following your breakfast at The Terrace and dinner at The Grill. We are very proud of the service we deliver and I look forward to passing on your comments.

Following your feedback I do apologise for the wait you encountered at our lifts. There are times where we are busy when the hotel is full and I am sorry for the delay.

We have just commenced a full refurbishment of our rooms - I am really looking forward to the new rooms which are available for stays from 18th November. I do hope that you return to experience the new look and I welcome you to contact me directly prior to your stay -please have a look at our website which has images and details of the new rooms.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'm really glad I chose this hotel for my stay in Auckland. The experience was great and I was totally satisfied with everything.

The room was spacious, the bathroom was great and the bed was comfortable. It was also in a great location, had free wifi and great food.

I had dinner in my room both nights I stayed and the meal was excellent on both occasions. I would highly recommend the Banoffee Pie for dessert, it was AMAZING!!

I'll definitely be staying here again for future trips to Auckland.

Room Tip: Order the Banoffee Pie!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear CamD79

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recommending the Banoffee Pie, isn’t it divine! I will certainly pass your compliments onto the chef and our In Room Dining team.

The team at The Grand Hotel look forward to welcoming you back.