“Hard to one-up Heritage Auckland - but Sky City Grand did, and here's why”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Lafayette, NJ
“Hard to one-up Heritage Auckland - but Sky City Grand did, and here's why”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our flight arrived three hours late from Apia, Samoa (thank you again, Virgin Samoa - we'll never fly you again!), and we got in around 4:30am rather than the anticipated 1:30am. Reception was able to secure us one of the last two rooms quickly, took our bags up, and we crashed. The room was clean, large, and beautifully appointed, with the promised harbor view, nice light, and new or reasonably new fixtures - no chipped furniture here. There is a gym, sauna, pool, nice restaurants on or near site - and they are currently offering something we've been looking for in the South Pacific for several weeks now: free Internet access with no data upload limit. This one thing is allowing us to catch up with friends on Facebook, post photos and some video, and make us feel more connected with distant friends and more at home here. In comparison, the otherwise outstanding Heritage Auckland offers 30 minutes of free WiFi and 24 hours for $25 U.S. - with data upload limits. Should Sky City Grand Hotel make free Internet service with no data upload limit their standard daily policy - it seems to be a special offer at the moment - we would comfortably say they set the high bar for hotels in Auckland that other competitors should strive to match. FYI, breakfast is offered, but it is not free. Very happy we gave this hotel a try!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear DavidM

Thank you for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and managed to relax after your delayed flight.

We introduced complimentary and unlimited Wi-Fi following feedback from our guests – it is proving very popular and I am pleased you made good use of it!
Thank you for your comments which I will pass onto our management team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Remember to have a look at our website for all updates and developments at The Grand Hotel.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here in early September for my birthday. We booked using the Baby Grand package, great value for money. We upgraded to a harbour view room, definitely worth it sipping bubbles with that amazing view. Rooms are spacious and modern.

My husband contacted the hotel before we went and arranged flowers in our room with the concierge. The flowers were amazing. When we arrived the concierge recognised our name and pulled my husband aside (without me noticing) to confirm everything was arranged. Check in staff were efficient and helpful during our stay.

Any staff member we spoke to in the hotel was friendly and we found them to be very geniune which you don't always get in 5 star hotels where they can seem forced or fake, there is none of that here.

Breakfast was excellent. A good variety and everything we had was good quality. Again the staff at breakfast were great. We moved tables to sit with friends and they were really helpful moving everything with us and then fixing a wobbly leg on the table.

While my husband checked us out I waited outside for the valet to bring our car. A member of the valet team asked my name and then wished me a happy birthday. Very impressive.

Much better value than other place in town like the Hilton or Stamford where we have been before. We will 100% be back.

Room Tip: Worth paying a few extra $$ for a harbour view room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dilemma007
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Dilemma007

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

I was so pleased to read your feedback about the team. We take a real sense of pride in delivering excellent customer service and I can’t wait till I read your comments to the team

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Travellers do say that you have to know your own backyard, being a Aucklander, I tried various hotels in Auckland but found The Skycity Grand Hotel to be grand. Very friendly and very charming, lots to do. Received great service and very comfortable room. Enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Room Tip: Great place to stay in Auckland City for the price.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear 29Daz

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We take real pride in looking after our guests and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The team at The Grand Hotel look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Orewa, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went to the Grand with my wife, great service throughout, they were even able to book us into the Sky Tower for dinner the same evening, it is very hard to get in normally. The night was great and breakfast was fabulous the next moring, actually it was brunch by the time we got there.
Very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Yendor64
Dear Yendor64

Many thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass you compliments onto the team and The Terrace Restaurant.

As you are aware, we have many exciting developments taking place and we hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience them.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I’m not much of a reader which is surprising when you think how much writing I do. We all get our inspiration from different places and while generally I prefer to draw on my own head and heart, there is sometimes a line or a concept that resonates well for a specific piece.

So is the case when I think about our recent stay at SKYCITY Grand Hotel in Auckland. There is a line in “All God’s Children Need Travelling Shoes” that encapsulates our experience so effortlessly. The author, Maya Angelou writes “There is an ache in all of us for home. That safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned”

Admittedly, we were staying as newlyweds so we were expecting a high level of service but what we received was something quite extraordinary. It was though the staff were completely transfixed on ensuring every element of ours stay was exceptional. If that was the end goal, I can safely say they smashed it out of the ballpark.

We treated ourselves to the Presidential Suite which can only be described as palatial and all accommodating. Five star luxury isn’t available in too many places and if you want the best, look no further. With high end audio/visual fittings, quality furnishings and those “little touches” that make all the difference, this suite will appeal to even the most discerning of palates.

The magic of our wedding day was bottled up and given out in abundance by everyone at SKYCITY Grand Hotel which essentially meant our incredible experience continued long after the day itself was over. Memories like that don’t have a price tag or an expiry date. They don’t have feedback forms or online questionnaires. They have a place in your heart that will never be taken away.

I have always said that it isn’t the room alone or the service itself that makes a stay special. It is the feeling you have when you walk away. For us, SKYCITY Grand Hotel was a haven, a sanctuary, a safe place where we felt like ourselves. For a small moment in time, we were taken away with the fairy lights and the dreams of others.

Home is where the heart is and we were home at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Now it’s your turn……..

Room Tip: To treat yourself to 5 Star Luxury and simply the best experience ever, stay in the Presedential Sui...
1 Thank KristianandTarsha
Dear NovaTEMPEST

I was thrilled to read your feedback and will take great pleasure in passing your comments onto the team.

Congratulations again from all the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in SkyCity Grand for 3 nights. The room felt luxurious and had a great bathroom. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and had great pillows. We heard no noise from other rooms or the hallway so the sleep quality is excellent. We did find the room to be quite stuffy however and while you can control the airconditioning in your room yourself, the recycled air really got to us after a while. If only you could crack the window a tiny bit! I think if you're only staying one or two nights however you won't find this a problem.

The biggest disappointment for us was the breakfast. Unlike the rooms, which are wonderful enough to live up to their price tag, the breakfast, at $39 per person definitely isn't worth it. Granted, the Terrace restaurant is nice, but the breakfast buffet is just an average breakfast buffet, nothing special as we were expecting given the lovely rooms (and given the high price of the breakfast). I find it hard to believe the breakfast here is any different to the cheaper one at the cheaper SkyCity hotel, so we recommend heading out to one of the many surrounding cafes for breakfast instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Charli_LEK

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am delighted your enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your feedback and suggestions for our management team which will certainly be reviewed.

The team at The Grand Hotel look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

New Zealand
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay here. Spotless quality hotel with friendly porters and staff. Our room was nice, nothing exceptional but we were only in their basic king room. Still had nice seating area and floor to ceiling windows so felt roomy. But the problem we had was with the frosted glass panel at the end of the bath. Looked pretty but it meant that every time anyone used the bathroom in the night the light shone brightly into the room. Woke me twice in the night! If only we had noticed that u can slide the wardrobe door across to block it!!! Simply fixed if you know how but wish someone warned us.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear fishwatcher1

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will take pride in passing your feedback onto the team.

We are due to commence a full refurbishment of the rooms and are looking forward to this taking place. The glass will remain however the remainder of the room and bathroom will be transformed and we hope to welcome you back to experience our new rooms.

We look forward to your next stay at The Grand Hotel.