“The Best”

GreenLeadersGold level
Perth, Australia
“The Best”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. All the staff are just outstanding and a special mention to A.J and the concierge guys. The reception staff greeted us by name each time we walked past. Had a room on the 19th floor with amazing views and the rooms are kept very clean by the very cheerful housekeeping staff. Bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Room service is well priced and you must try the lollypop prawns. I can not say enough about Skycity Grand Hotel and I will be back for a much longer stay next year. Thanks again for a most memorable stay.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Trevor S
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Trevor S

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel!

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay and am sure the team and in particular AJ will be thrilled when I pass on your comments at our next briefing.

We look forward to welcoming you back. We have some exciting changes taking place - the lobby area will have 2 new restaurants opening and our rooms will be undergoing a full refurbishment. We are looking forward to this and I am sure you will love the new look on your next stay.

Alison.Borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I can't believe this hotel is ranked only #4 in Auckland. From my viewpoint, it couldn't have been better. First, it is located in the heart of the city, a real plus for first time visitors. A friendly doorman greeted us upon arrival and helped with our bags. Inside, the lobby and room decor were outstanding, the staff at the desk was friendly and helpful, and the beds were among the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The orchid flower arrangements were gorgeous. I liked the fact that it took a room key to use the elevators too--an added safety feature.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank janefteach
Dear Janefteach

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I was delighted to read your comments about our friendly team which I will be sure to pass on.

As you may know, we have some exciting developments taking place at The Grand. We have 2 new restaurants opening in the lobby area and our rooms are undertaking a full refurbishment. This will definitely take us to a new level and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience our new look.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Great staff.. Fantastic location. Orbit restaurant at the top of the sky tower has the best views in the country, but the service at the restaurant is not to a high standard. The "Grill" has the best steaks, an open kitchen and amazing service.
Highly recommended

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank 8411399
Dear 8411399

Many thanks for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your positive feedback onto the team here and at The Grill.

Should you wish to discuss your visit to Orbit, please contact me directly and I will be happy to assist.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Auckland
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed here on four occasions in the last couple of months, each time with one or two children with me.

The rooms have a queen and a single, so are ideal for us. I have always found them to be clean and well maintained. I have found it quiet, but another two of my party were beside the lifts and disturbed by a drunk guest at 2am. (It was dealt with by the staff but still woke them up.)

The hotel rates are the same on their own booking system as on wotif, hotelclub etc, so I now book directly.

Parking is easy with the huge Skycity carpark and only $25 per exit - so only really good if you are not driving around town. As we are able to walk to the shops, cinema and restaurants it works well. There are easy bus and trains everywhere else and I find Auckland is one of my least favorite cities to navigate by car!

My son (12) loves this hotel, his reasons being the pool and the Jade Dragon restaurant!
The only thing I don't like is the prominently displayed "children at sky city" leaflet in the rooms. Not a list of facilities for kids but a stern lecture on the policy of the hotel that any child found anywhere without a parent would be removed by security and the police called! My son read this and was too scared to go down to reception to ask about the wifi for fear of arrest. I'm sure the hotel must have a reason for displaying this, but it's not a welcoming feature in a 5 star hotel room, could the point be made along with a welcome and description of child-friendly services/places?

This is currently my hotel-of-choice in Auckland, good service, good rooms and free Wifi.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the lifts.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Kirajax327

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel.

I am sorry that your children were woken in the night. It’s unfortunate when guests disturb others in the hotel though I am pleased that our team dealt with the situation effectively.

Skycity welcomes families and please be assured your feedback has been received for review.

We look forward to your next stay. Don’t hesitate to contact me and I will update your profile to show your preference of room location.

Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

With 3 kids under 5 getting away with just my wife is an extreme rarity so after having stayed at the Skycity Hotel a few years ago for our wedding anniversary we though we would try the more expensive and supposedly better Skycity Grand (a fact the staff member who checked us took pains point out).

The room while clean was extremely small, with the bathroom seeming tired and as a 6'4 male the bath was simply too small to be usable. While the hotel is meant to be Smoke free it was clear that this was being ignored as the entire floor reeked of cigarette smoke which then wafted into the room. When reported to staff their answer was to place a "air freshener" machine on the floor that simply pumped perfume into the air adding yet another odor to the environment.

We felt this room wasn't value for money (especially when compared to the Skycity Hotel) and wouldn't stay at this venue again.

Thank Cronus.nz
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Cronus.nz

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel and thank you for your feedback.

SKYCITY Auckland is a non smoking venue with designated smoking areas I am sorry to hear that this was not followed by other guests during your stay. We do have ionisers that clear the air and at any given opportunity we are more than happy to move you to an alternative floor/room if we have the availability.

We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment and we are very excited about this.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms, please contact me directly before your arrival.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I chose the Grand to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary primarily due to its reputation and central location. We were not disappointed. The booking and check in process was effortless. The contents of the package were outstanding. Valets were polite and efficient. Reception staff were beyond reproach, friendly, helpful and efficient. The package highlights (bubbly and chocs) were amazing and delivered daily as promised. The view from our 'city view' room was not too bad and only ever really spoiled by the weather. The room and general decor were not really to our personal taste with a kind of mustard on mustard on brown feel that you would possibly get from an interior decorator type but, overall clean, tidy and comfortable. The Terrace breakfast was fantastic and resulted in not needing lunch for the day! Also dined at Bellota one night and were not disappointed, great food in a great atmosphere. The pool, gym and sauna were fantastic. A great way to unwind and relax after a day of being dragged around the shops!! All of the staff we interacted with were friendly, courteous and professional - they made you feel right at home and nothing was too hard. Overall the experience was fantastic and we will definitely be looking at another stay sometime.

1 Thank olddadnz
Dear olddadnz

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel, I was delighted to read your feedback, that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to passing it onto the team.

Congratulations on celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary and look forward to welcoming you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent one night here on the Baby Grand Package as a bit of luxury at the end of a campervan trip - and we were not disappointed! Everything from the efficiency of the check-in, the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of the rooms and the extensive breakfast made for a very relaxing stay. The Baby Grand Package included breakfast for two, a bottle of champagne and a yummy chocolate platter on arrival and late check-out - which allowed us to make use of the Spa on the ground floor. The swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were clean and plenty of towels supplied. The location is central, within minutes of the SkyTower and not far from the quay front. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of luxury.

1 Thank Caroline H
Dear Caroline H

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Baby Grand Package and thank you for recommending us to other TripAdvisor viewers.

I do hope you enjoyed your New Zealand holiday and had a pleasant journey home.