“The Grand Experience”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My stay was only short as i stopped over in Auckland for the night however i was thoroughly impressed by the welcoming and helpful staff! The check in process was easy and efficient and my room was much more than i expected - definitely exceeded my expectations, the photos did it no justice! Would recommend to anyone, wish i could have stayed longer! Thanks Sky City Grand :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear bryleas

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel and for recommending us to other TripAdvisor viewers.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed last night at the SkyCity Grand in Auckland. The quality and class of the hotel is expected and lived up to expectation. Without doubt one of the best hotels in Auckland. What made the difference though is two things which made the stay just that little bit better. One is free Wi-Fi in the hotel. This is such a good idea. It really isnt a massive cost for the hotel and there is nothing more frustrating that having to pay the bill to check a few work emails. Having free wi-fi is a superb addition to the hotel. The second was not long after I checked in I was delivered a drink and a bowl of nibbles and a welcome card from the head of guest relations. You know, this isnt a huge cost to the hotel but it shows they really do care about their guests and you do really feel welcome. These are the sort of things that will make me come again!

Room Tip: The 21st floor rooms are superb!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChristchurchJono

Dear ChristchurchJono

Thank you for your review, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Grand Hotel.

We have recently introduced free and unlimited WiFi which is proving very popular with all of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel in the near futre

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed upon arrival to Auckland from Australia with no idea of what to expect. OMG great setting, wonderful setting, everyone helpful and friendly. Special thank you to the big man in concierge, great personality he went out of his way to be helpful. Rarely do you visit any hotel on one occasion and have someone remember you. The suite we had was quite a surprise, comfortable does not truly describe our room. Quite, despite having a casino in the building. Surprisingly, coming from USA, no smoking was allowed in the casino a plus as far are we are concerned. Staying in Auckland this is your hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear PatriciaW

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read your feedback and will take great pleasure in passing your comments onto the team, and particularly to our Commissionaires.

I do hope you enjoyed your vacation in New Zealand and we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Dust, dirt and old food under a door; Fraying furniture; significantly chipped furniture; a DVD player that three staff couldn't fix; a lift that didn't work properly; unaware and disinterest staff; and a hopeless marketing disconnect - and all this for $NZ900 per night (two interconnecting rooms, one $550, one $450) . We've stayed at the Grand a few times over the years. Its location is handy if you don't need to be near the water. But this was the worst accommodation experience since backpacking in Asia 15 years ago. The pictures show some of it.

We had interconnecting rooms. The lady came up to open it (why do they never do this without being asked?) and I asked for a chock to keep it open (because there wasn't anything!). She went away and I noticed something she hadn't - the gap between the doors was crusted with dust and dirt and old food (while she was away I also spotted the room key pouch with the slogan "You're about to discover Luxury On A Grand Scale". Hmmm.

She put the chock in the door without even noticing the mess. I mentioned it to her and said with a smile it didn't look so much like luxury, she shrugged with embarrassment and went for a vacuum. The family was getting organised and I went to the window, immediately noticing the sofa next to it which was frayed across the entire centre. It wouldn't pass muster in second hand sale (LOAGS?). I was now on a bit of mission. Glancing down at the floor I observed the table and chair legs. Now these are going to get knocked overtime, but these looked like someone had had some kind of battle with them (LOAGS???). We retired depressed but not defeated to a great dinner at a nearby restaurant.

On the way down we passed the restaurant Dine by Peter Gordon. It has recently closed but the sign outside said: "Due to the exiting developments taking place at Sky City, Dine is closed." Now, my wife and I have must have eaten at Dine more than a dozen times over the years. In the first years it was a favourite restaurant. Classy space, fabulous service, with stunning fusion food. There will a number like us who rue its passing, although we know things change. Is Sky City Grand tight for money in the marketing development that they have to employ high-school students to write copy like this? (Apologies to smart, talented high school students). It's a bit like the "Luxury On A Grand Scale". For those of us who can JUST remember the likes of the Regent, it was scarcely true when the Grand opened - but it's a joke now. There are a range of tried and true (and authentic) ways of "announcing" the closure of a place like Dine. "Goodbye friend, we had a blast. Stay tuned for what's coming up" or "After 10 great years, Dine has closed. We welcome the start of the next 10 years in a few months."

The rest of the evening went well, and we returned in time for some DVD watching. I couldn't get the DVD channel going on the archaic TV they had and so phoned reception. They said they would transfer me to concierge and they would talk me through it on the phone. The concierge talking lasted about a minute and he said he would get a technician up.

The "technician" arrived, and I recognised one of the guys who had been on the door when we arrived. He spent a few minutes fiddling and then phoned for advice. No luck. He said he would have to get a technician. I said isn't that you? They new "technician" arrived promptly. He looked more like the night manager, and he spent 5 more minutes fiddling and then, guess what, he said he would have to get a technician. By this time I did not believe they existed and so thanked him for his efforts and said not to worry (LOAGS????). I also mentioned we had had a few less than luxury experiences since we arrived and he shrugged with an embarrassed smile - much like the lady earlier.

The following morning we left, and as the elevator door opened I saw the lift had not reached the ground floor! So we had to lift the bags and step out of the lift like this we were in the third world (where this has actually happened). I couldn't take much more LOAGS!

Checking out I mentioned (nicely) that we had really been disappointed with the standard of the hotel and I mentioned some of the issues. The manager overheard and she gave the line I see often used on Trip Advisor that they are about to upgrade the hotel rooms. I could have pushed it (seeing other Trip Advisor guests had got a 10% discount for complaints) but the kids were with us and I didn't want to make a scene. She hand over the bill saying with a smile she had comped our room service (two coffees and three croissants). So that made a $1000 bill only $975....

Now, I know these are first world problems that too few of us are fortunate to have. But I thought the Trip Advisor community would be pretty frank. I looked at other reviews and was just astonished at how good the rest of the reviews are. Clearly no-one has stayed in the corner room on level 19 that we stayed in! (Or maybe we are just too particular!)

I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world (I guess everyone says that with a review like this), I can't recall a worse aggregate experience. Perhaps the Sky City Grand isn't interested in "luxury" hotels - they certainly have no idea how to run one. But they also don't seem to know how to do a repair job, or cope with problems/change. Their refurbishment planning has clearly failed, but why not do things like get rid of the LOAGS marketing. I have stayed in rooms where they advertise the start of their room upgrades, but these are usually just old-fashioned styles - not broken or damaged furniture. This is unacceptable in a much lower standard establishment.

One thing Sky City does do is respond very assertively to Trip Advisor comments. So I'm sure Alison will soon reply with "How important it is to get feedback like this" and "They are disappointed to hear they didn't meet expectations: or "They are in the final stages of deciding on refurbishing the rooms" or "The feedback will allow them to identify areas to improve" or (my favourite) "Please don't hesitate to contact me directly should I return to Auckland".

So, as you may have gathered - never, never again. And LOAGS? Lazy Out-of-your-depth Attempts At Giving Service.

Room Tip: Avoid the level 19 corner harbour view room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheTruthisreallyhere

Dear TheTruthisreallyhere

Thanks for the review of The Grand Hotel. We take great pride in everything we do here at SKYCITY Grand Hotel. We have a number of fantastic individuals in our business whom are considered hospitality professionals and we have gone through your comments in detail.

As a Hotel we are led and driven by how our guests judge their experience. If the feedback received both on review forums and in person is accurate it tells us overwhelmingly that we are indeed doing plenty of things right. I and we as a team certainly acknowledge there are opportunities to improve every day and we constantly discover ways to be and do things better. I firmly believe that we continue to advance on the right track and personally I am extremely proud to lead this Hotel and this team into the refurbishment programme and our attempts to one day soon be the number 1 hotel in New Zealand. We have a way to go yet I understand.

I note your frustration at our feedback to reviews so I will simply say sorry we let you down and that we have noted all of your comments. We take them very seriously.
I wouldn’t like you to take offence by offering you a discount or inviting you back to experience SKYCITY Grand Hotel so I have decided to leave things here and trust that you understand our disappointment and embarrassment that we have not met your expectations.

Thanks & Regards

Brad Burnett
Operations Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at Sky City Grand in May for three nights and enjoyed everything. From the superb breakfast to a great night sleep. It is a comfortable and relaxed place to stay. The rooms are quiet and well equipped. Bathroom with bath and shower. All very clean and well maintained. The service from the staff is what you can expect from a five star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Wim31

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the team will be delighted to read your comments.

We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 17, 2013

All the staff were very helpful and thoughtful ,Room was very nice clean,quiet,stayed on the 12 floor nice views ,Food was lovely at the grill ,the slider buns next door are worth trying.
Could have won at the casino and it would have been a perfect couple of days.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear newzboy

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review.

I am so pleased that enjoyed your stay with us and will take pleasure in passing your feedback onto the team at The Grand, The Grill and Depot.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The fact that the management actually read and respond to these review says a whole lot about the place!

My husband and I stayed here 5 nights and we loved it.
Lovely quiet rooms, very clean, great service all around.

The conciege and doormen were absolutely excellent, very friendly.
The Conceige found us a great car to rent at last minute notice, and they sorted every detail for us so all we had to do was sign, get in and go. What a pleasure!
Clearly these front line staff have excellent teamwork and are well trained which is really what makes a hotel like this tick.

The room service was also 5 stars in my book, I have a special diet which involves to wheat and was thrilled that they catered to people like me. We had rom service several times during our stay and we found it to be speedy and fantastic food.
The hotel is also happy to make a dish that isn't on the menu if they have the ingredients but i found upon enquiry that they actually had other options to offer and i was happy to find something delicious. These types of small things make a real difference to guests!

My one other comment about this lovely place is that the front desk staff are not all trained to the same level and i did find some frustration with this. It tok them ages to find our reservation when we checked in (we made it at the last minute online)and I was looking for stamps for an important document that had to go out in the mail that day.
I was sent by the front desk staff to the corner store, the Atrium across the road ands tried a few other places myself after being told be the reception desk staff I could get stamps there. Well those places all did sell stamps, but only for postcards not for international envelopes.

Also the regular reception staff were happy to say "no" to a simple request I had when a manager jumped in a quickly and answered with a yes. I felt the front desk staff could have been better trained in finding out how they can make a guests request happen before giving a "no" answer.

Having worked for many years in top notch hospitality establishments myself I would say these guys get a great score in my book!

I would definitely recommend the Sky City Grand!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 0th floor and it was great! lovely view! The harbor views are suppose to be stunni...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Spiritwithin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments which were both very positive yet also providing us with feedback on areas which we can improve.

I have passed your feedback onto our management team who will be sharing your feedback with all the team and thank you again for your feedback.

We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome back to The Grand Hotel in the future and trust you had a pleasant journey back to South Africa.