“Must Stay - Amazing Service”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Must Stay - Amazing Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you are looking for a safe, reliable, friendly and first class hotel, serach no further. The Skycity Grand is the best Auckland has to offer. My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights over our anniversary and we had an amazing time, both in the city and at the hotel. The food was terrific, the bars were lively. It is everything you could want in a hotel. There are a couple of excellent members of their staff (Jim Tully and David Langley). They will be able to solve any of your problems.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, it is in the center of the city so the view are spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear nsantarelli
Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.
We take real pride in delivering excellent customer service and I was thrilled to read your feedback about your stay. The team will be delighted to receive your comments especially Jim and David from our Concierge Team.
We hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your visit and have the opportunity to return in the future.
Alison.Borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Excellent service. Look out for a great man and friendly smile from Kevin the Commissionaire. Location is great as my partner and I had a beautiful dinner at Orbit the revolving restaurant. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Harbour view....it is really a nice view
Dear Pekahau P
Thank you for your reviewing The Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor and recommending us to others.
I was delighted to read your feedback which I will pass onto the team and in particular to Kevin and the Orbit restaurant.
The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Gore, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Grand, Locaility was the main pull for our staying at this accomodation , but with the choice of top class restaurants, immaculate cleanliness and grand service it as well as the terrific locaility, it made our stay very pleasant indeed. We will certainly be back in the very near future.
Thanking you.

1 Thank Lee-anne C
Dear Lee-anne C
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final decision making stages and will be carrying out a refurbishment of our rooms. We are very excited about this and with the addition of three new restaurants, I am certain you will again be impressed on your next stay with us.
We look to welcoming you back.
Boyne City, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Sky City Grand and were not impressed. It's location in the center of the city is a plus. But the staff was less than friendly, the lobby noisy and filled with the smell of smoke from the casino. We left a wake-up call for 4 AM in order to catch our shuttle to the airport and were awakened at 12:04 AM, not 4:00 AM, which made for a very long day for our return to the States. Attention to detail is not this establishment's strong suit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy G
Dear Nancy G
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.
I was very disappointed to read your feedback and please be assured that your comments have been shared with the team as a training tool. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss your concerns in more detail.
Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Over the past two years I've stayed here a dozen times. The service is uniformly anonymous. The only member of the staff that knows I've been there before is the computer which reminds them to send up two complimentary beers and some nuts every time I arrive (no matter I'm a red wine guy and not a beer fan). This, however, doesn't bother me at all. The hotel is clean, the rooms are quiet, the beds are good, the TV works, it's fine. I will separately review the Depot cafe/restaurant next to the entrance which is terrific as is Bellota, the tapas place; even the pizza place is fine.
What I like about the Skycity Grand is its anonymity! No one bothers me!
I walked into the casino twice, both times to avoid the rain I believe -- what a dreadful place! It is slightly shabby and without any of the glamourous patina which makes a stroll through an upscale or, for that matter, a really down market Las Vegas casino so interesting.
Somewhere else I've got to review the city in the rain -- it can be pretty much like Glasgow (dare I say it? grotty?). Still, in general the food is good. I wouldn't choose to live full-time in Auckland but as a place to travel for work, it's up there with Hefei, Valencia, Milan and Hermosillo.
So, if you don't mind being unrecognized and surrounded by faux glamour, this is a good hotel -- I rate it three, maybe four stars.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anabasis100
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Anabasis 100

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

We are very dedicated in delivering excellent customer service and take pride in acknowledging our return guests with amenities and welcome cards.

Please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to update your profile to show your preferences for your future stays.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our experience right from the word go was amazing. The valet, front desk and concierg was friendly and professional. The punctuality of all staff was top notch ! Being central made our evening plans easy, even with the bad weather we could walk to our comedy gig with no fuss ! Made it handy to have to have breakfast a stone throw away too ! Looking forward to going back. Mark and Carla

1 Thank Mark M
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Mark and Carla

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I was so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Grand Hotel and hope you had an enjoyable night at the comedy gig.

We look forward to your next visit. You may like to know that that there are many exciting developments due to start at The Grand and SKYCITY Auckland. We will be carrying out a full refurbishment of our rooms and will be introducing new eateries by Al Brown, Peter Gordon and Nick Masu.

Until next time,

Regards

Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Sky Grand is a fantastic venue. The staff are always incredibly nice and attentive, the venue is superb with a raft of restaurants and bars so you don't need to stroll far. I stay there every three weeks and have never had a bad experience. In addition the location is very central to everything. Twice a year I take my wife to Auckland and the only place she will stay is the Sky Grand.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip L
Dear 71PhilipL

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor, it is lovely to hear from one of our regular guests!

I was delighted to read your comments and will certainly pass them onto the team who will be thrilled to receive them
The team at The Grand Hotel look forward to your next visit.