“Grand enough”

GreenLeadersGold level
Perth
“Grand enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed two nights in mid-February 2013 on business. Arrived in the morning well before normal check-in time but was in my room within minutes - excellent. Free internet is available in the foyer even before check-in and then at a higher speed once checked in as a guest - a hotel that understands that business people do want simple immediate wi-fi access and gives it to them - excellent.
My room was nothing special but I was hardly in it anyway, breakfast was good but again nothing above what I would expect in a hotel of this level.
The gym is very good and the lap pool the something special I was looking for. The other bonus for me was that being from a different timezone - 5 hours out - I was still able to dine on freshly cooked restaurant meals at say, 2am local time in the adjoining SkyCity Casino without leaving the building - excellent.
My only criticism would be that the place, being a Casino hotel, does service the needs of casino gamblers who I observed here to be intense, driven, single purpose type people who are unforgiving of anything that delays their pursuit of that big win - and the staff have to deal with this sort daily. If the staff despite their professionalism, seem to you a little on edge, tightly strung or even defensive I feel I know why.

Room Tip: Avoid the wheel-chair access rooms unless needed as they have a flat hosptial like bathroom
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Nangfah

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

Our team strives to deliver great customer service and I am delighted that we were able to check you in upon your arrival.

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you took advantage of our excellent facilities during your stay and thank you also for your feedback providing us with the opportunity to improve our service and standards.

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed there 3 times part of a 16 days on the north island trip in NZ. The place is clean, modern, well located and price range is OK. People are nice, breakfast is amazing. There is just something missing I can't really explain though... A touch of glamour for example...
Anyways I would recommend this place as a good starting point of a trip in NZ.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Arnaud

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel following your visit to New Zealand.

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our breakfast buffet at The Terrace. I will pass your positive feedback onto the team, who will be delighted to read your comments.

Thank you for recommending The Grand Hotel to our TripAdvisor readers, we do hope you have the opportunity to return.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent two nights at the hotel following a cruise. On arrival (well before registration time) we were given a time when our room would be ready and our bags were kept for us. We arrived back at the time mentioned and our key was available and our suitcases were already in the room. A friendly welcome was given each time we returned to the hotel. The room was of an excellent standard and with a view over the city. We didn't eat in the hotel as the hotel is very centrally placed to visit many local establishments (including a number of cafes for breakfast). Our package included transfer to the airport which was provided early at our request. The driver was very well informed and gave us an interesting commentary as we traveled to the airport

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Visitor71

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

Our team aim daily to deliver excellent customer service and I am delighted that your room was ready when promised and bags in your room upon your arrival.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay following your cruise and trust you had a safe journey back to the UK.

North Shore City, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were very happy from forecourt to Hotel room with the service, and thanks for the comp upgrade, very nice.

To enjoy an afternoon in a lovely room , great view and fantastic facilities , was top notch.

The Grill was booked and thoroughly enjoyed

Def be back again

Room Tip: Corner suite 1410 had a great view of the harbour and sky tower , nice watching people jump off the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear david1072

Happy Anniversary!

The team are delighted that you both enjoyed your stay at The Grand Hotel and enjoyed your upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal at The Grill and will pass your feedback onto team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Rotterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night after arriving from our trip from Amsterdam.
I asked for a room on a high floor for a good night sleep ( was worried about street noise as the hotel is in the middle of the city ) We recieved a room on the 16th floor and had a very good night sleep. Altough the hotel is in the middle of the city there is no noise at all.
The personnel at the reception was very friendly and we used the valet parking ( well arranged ) as well.
The room was very big with a nice bathroom ( large tub ) Comfortable big bed and a little lounge area as well. We loved this hotel and would definately return !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MarijkeGeoffrey

Thank you for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay at The Grand Hotel and had a restful sleep following your flight.

The Front Office Team will be delighted to read your feedback and I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the hotel when it first opened years ago and it was really good, however you can definitely see the hotel room is getting tired. Was given a room on the 20th floor so that was really good because I did want a room on a high floor, everything was just average there but the check out time is surprisingly early (usually 12pm in most hotels but it’s 11am here).

Went to check out the swimming pool but there were no changing rooms and the lockers were all locked (only 3 people in the pool) while there were no staff members to assist you with. Not sure how I was going to get changed or use the facility, instead I headed back to the room. Definitely not a 5 star hotel like they claimed to be.

Also one of the worst thing was I got a phone call from the in-room dining at 5am when I didn’t order any breakfast myself, the guy has obviously dialled the wrong number but he keeps on yapping about the breakfast. Luckily I was up to go to the toilet otherwise I would be really really p***ed off, but still this should not have happened.

When I mentioned this to the staff at the check out time it was a very dull reaction, not like they were extremely sorry about it. This could ruin someone’s day!!

The most annoying thing is the credit card fee that you have to pay on top of the bill. I was not aware of it but the staff member mentioned it just like it’s going to be charged whether you like it or not so I had to pay. Since I went and got a spa treatment on the day I have arrived so I ended up paying quite a bit of the credit card service charge. I can understand if smaller hotels and shops need to charge a credit card charge to keep their cost down but for a big hotel like Sky City Grand I believe it should have been included in the rates, it’s just another way to make revenue really.

Unfortunately I would not recommend this hotel to others because it’s getting old and every was just average really, and until they have removed the credit card charges I would rather stay at somewhere else when I am in Auckland next time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Walkman88
Dear Walkman 88

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to your comments apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Feedback is of great importance to us The Grand Hotel providing us an opportunity to assess and improve and service and standards.

Please be assured that our management team has received your comments and should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our stay here over the Christmas-New Year period was relaxing and enjoyable, to say the least!
The doormen were exceptional, especially one of them who normally took the weekday morning shift. It's a pity we have forgotten his name! (He's the big guy with glasses and always has a smile on his face.) they are friendly and always eager to help, be it suitcases or a guide to the city's attractions.
It was easy to move around the city from the Skycity Grand.
The rooms were always tidied and cleaned well.
We ordered room service a couple of times and were impressed by the quality of the food served (in fact, we enjoyed the food at the hotel a lot-there aren't many good restaurants and cafes in Auckland, unfortunately!
Their spa (East Day Spa) is also worth a visit. I found the staff to be caring and experienced, and the ambience, a perfect combination of relaxation and comfort.
I would highly recommend staying here to anyone who is planning a trip to Auckland!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear shawt

Thank you for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor following your stay at The Grand Hotel over Christmas and New Year.

I was delighted to read your feedback and will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with the team, in particular In-Room Dining, East Day Spa and Kevin our Commissionaire.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.