“Luxury and good service !”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Rotterdam
“Luxury and good service !”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night after arriving from our trip from Amsterdam.
I asked for a room on a high floor for a good night sleep ( was worried about street noise as the hotel is in the middle of the city ) We recieved a room on the 16th floor and had a very good night sleep. Altough the hotel is in the middle of the city there is no noise at all.
The personnel at the reception was very friendly and we used the valet parking ( well arranged ) as well.
The room was very big with a nice bathroom ( large tub ) Comfortable big bed and a little lounge area as well. We loved this hotel and would definately return !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear MarijkeGeoffrey

Thank you for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay at The Grand Hotel and had a restful sleep following your flight.

The Front Office Team will be delighted to read your feedback and I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the hotel when it first opened years ago and it was really good, however you can definitely see the hotel room is getting tired. Was given a room on the 20th floor so that was really good because I did want a room on a high floor, everything was just average there but the check out time is surprisingly early (usually 12pm in most hotels but it’s 11am here).

Went to check out the swimming pool but there were no changing rooms and the lockers were all locked (only 3 people in the pool) while there were no staff members to assist you with. Not sure how I was going to get changed or use the facility, instead I headed back to the room. Definitely not a 5 star hotel like they claimed to be.

Also one of the worst thing was I got a phone call from the in-room dining at 5am when I didn’t order any breakfast myself, the guy has obviously dialled the wrong number but he keeps on yapping about the breakfast. Luckily I was up to go to the toilet otherwise I would be really really p***ed off, but still this should not have happened.

When I mentioned this to the staff at the check out time it was a very dull reaction, not like they were extremely sorry about it. This could ruin someone’s day!!

The most annoying thing is the credit card fee that you have to pay on top of the bill. I was not aware of it but the staff member mentioned it just like it’s going to be charged whether you like it or not so I had to pay. Since I went and got a spa treatment on the day I have arrived so I ended up paying quite a bit of the credit card service charge. I can understand if smaller hotels and shops need to charge a credit card charge to keep their cost down but for a big hotel like Sky City Grand I believe it should have been included in the rates, it’s just another way to make revenue really.

Unfortunately I would not recommend this hotel to others because it’s getting old and every was just average really, and until they have removed the credit card charges I would rather stay at somewhere else when I am in Auckland next time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Walkman88
Dear Walkman 88

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to your comments apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Feedback is of great importance to us The Grand Hotel providing us an opportunity to assess and improve and service and standards.

Please be assured that our management team has received your comments and should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our stay here over the Christmas-New Year period was relaxing and enjoyable, to say the least!
The doormen were exceptional, especially one of them who normally took the weekday morning shift. It's a pity we have forgotten his name! (He's the big guy with glasses and always has a smile on his face.) they are friendly and always eager to help, be it suitcases or a guide to the city's attractions.
It was easy to move around the city from the Skycity Grand.
The rooms were always tidied and cleaned well.
We ordered room service a couple of times and were impressed by the quality of the food served (in fact, we enjoyed the food at the hotel a lot-there aren't many good restaurants and cafes in Auckland, unfortunately!
Their spa (East Day Spa) is also worth a visit. I found the staff to be caring and experienced, and the ambience, a perfect combination of relaxation and comfort.
I would highly recommend staying here to anyone who is planning a trip to Auckland!

• Stayed December 2012
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear shawt

Thank you for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor following your stay at The Grand Hotel over Christmas and New Year.

I was delighted to read your feedback and will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with the team, in particular In-Room Dining, East Day Spa and Kevin our Commissionaire.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just stayed at SkyCity Grand for one night while traveling back through Auckland before I flew overseas. I chose the hotel because of the great central location, the free Wifi, and the valet which was only $35 for the night. All up the stay cost around NZ$230 and was well worth it.

The service is just fabulous. The friendly front doorman Kevin will make you feel so welcome from the first time you step into the driveway. The front desk briskly took the initiative to post a letter for us when we asked where we could go to find a post office. These things mean the world to travelers who spend so much time away from home.

The rooms are fabulous, large, great bathroom with lovely bath. I never heard any street noise at all despite the central location.

Would definitely recommend this hotel, great value, great service, and you will feel right at home!

Dear Jacqueline Y

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Front Office Team and in particular Kevin will be thrilled to hear your feedback when I share it with them at our next team meeting. We take great delight in looking after our guests and I am delighted the team looked after you during your stay.

Thank you for recommending The Grand Hotel, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Moura, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

This was a clean pleasant hotel but I am afraid I felt a bit let down. I would not have rated it as a Grand version of anything. A little pricey for what was recieved. Views were marred by shade sails on the outside of the window that totally wrecked the view of the sky tower. King bed was nice, pillows were decent, room was quiet and bathroom was reasonable. Food was of a fairly high quality but again a little pricey. I had much nicer meals for a lower price elsewhere on my journey at four and five star restaurants. So overall while a nice enough hotel I admit to feeling rather let down.

• Stayed February 2013
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear KittyCaat

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to thank you for your feedback as this gives the team at The Grand Hotel an opportunity to identify the areas upon which we can improve our service and standards.

I am pleased to advise you that we are currently in the final decision making stages and are planning a full refurbishment of our rooms. Please do not hesitate to contact me when planning an overnight stay in Auckland and I will be more than happy to assist you with your booking.

The team at The Grand Hotel look forward to welcoming back.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel itself ticks all the boxes of most highly rated hotels in the city core: clean, spacious, modern rooms, good location and lots of restaurant choices in-house. The front desk and concierge staff were particularly helpful sorting out a booking problem that originated outside of their control and took steps to ensure there were no additional expenses involved. Much appreciated.

Dear R S

Thank you for recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team prides itself in delivering excellent service at all times and I am pleased that we were able to assist you during your stay.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to New Zealand and had a pleasant journey back to Canada

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Grand for 4 nights recently for a quick getaway to NZ. The hotel was in a great location. Walking distance to shops ,restaurants, theatres & the casino. The concierge was helpful for any advice & the welcoming doormen were lovely. We had valet parking which was efficient & never had to wait for our car to come up. The hotel is modern, the rooms are clean & comfortable. Buffet breakfast was good with plenty of choice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to say in Auckland.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are beautiful
Dear Family 1192

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for recommending The Grand Hotel to our TripAdvisor readers, we are certainly in a prime location in Auckland with a host of restaurants and bars close to hand.

We take great pride in delivering a 5 star service to our guests and our Concierge and Valet team will be delighted to hear your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back.