“Very pleasant”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here on a Wotif deal recently - room spacious & tastefully decorated with nice bathroom .Only one small complaint that maybe the towels need replacing as not nice & fluffy but a wee bit hard . Was great to be able to pop down to a nice restaurant to eat - The Grill was delicious. Nice ,easy access to the Casino - not sure if that a good thing or not ?!!!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear FranNewZealand

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor following your stay at The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the decor and bathroom. We are currently looking at alternative options for the towels and I thank you for your feedback.

I am also delighted you had the opportunity to visit The Grill and enjoyed your dinner, I will pass your feedback onto the team as we love to hear our guests' feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future

Kind Regards

Alison Borland I Guest Relations Executive | SKYCITY Grand Hotel.
alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

No complaints after 2 nights... But I'd opt for the Skycity across the street as it was much cheaper and pretty much the same (lobby busier at Skycity)... Pretty solid across the board - good professional staff that handled my and their screw-ups really well an did the right thing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Sean M

Thank you for taking the time to post your reveiw on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that our team were able to assist you during your stay, if there is any way that I can help you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We are in the final decision making process and will be under going a complete refurbishment of all our rooms. We are are looking forward to this project and look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel to experience our new rooms.'

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I did not pay, but i stayed there one night with one of my best friends, was beautiful!!! Amazing staff, comfortable beds. Everything was amazing, i only took a mark off because the buffet food at the dinner place is disgusting/ has no flavor. Do not recommend unless you only want the dessert.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Issythetraveller

Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor following your stay in April.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

I am sorry that your experience at one of our restaurants did not meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me with more detail and I will be able to pass on your comments to the restaurant.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at Sky City Grand for what ended up being 5 days earlier this month and we were very happy with the hotel. It was conveniently situated within walking distance of lots of things, and on a bus line for whatever else we wanted to see. The room was nice and spacious; the spa was great with lots of good machines, a lap pool, a sauna, and a hot tub; and the restaurants in the vicinity were tasty. The casino was a fun evening activity and there is a movie theatre, bowling alley, and lots of bars nearby. We had to extend our stay because of delays on the next leg of our trip and we booked this hotel through hotels.com for a better value than booking at the hotel. The Grand appeared to be more high end than the Sky Hotel, which was often crowded in the entrance because of the casino, so we happily paid more for the Grand. The only things I would improve upon is that the carpet on the 9th floor could use a good cleaning and they charged a lot for phone calls, parking, and wifi, which is typical for this class of hotel.

Room Tip: The buffet breakfast was overpriced so we had a smaller breakfast at Remedy Cafe just down the block...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Alena S

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel following your recent stay.

I am delighted you were happy with your room and enjoyed the use of our pool, spa and gym area. We have recently ungraded the equipment in the gym and now offer our guests an excellent workout with high end equipment.

We do have a wide selection of restaurants and attractions nearby and on site, I am sure our readers will find your feedback valuable, thank you for your comments.

I apologise for the carpet on the 9th floor. I have advised our Executive Housekeeper of your comments and this will be relayed to the team and action will be taken immediately as this is not the high standard we take pride in.

Please enjoy the remainder of your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel if you have the opportunity. We do have rates that include complimentary internet, so please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The SkyCity Grand is a rock solid choice for staying in central Auckland - I find it very hard to think of something that could be improved.

I stayed with my wife and two year old and we were very pleased. We'd certainly recommend it for a family with a young child.

Our room was on $150 a night (a great deal for a CBD location at Christmas time), which was sensational value for money. We were on the 20th floor in a king room, with a baby cot brought in.

The rooms a large and very comfortable. The corner lounge set up was fantastic to relax in and the bathroom was large, spotlessly clean and modern.

We ordered room service which was pretty quickly delivered and tasty. It has a good pool and is very well located with heaps of eating options nearby, a supermarket 2 blocks away and it's just a stone throw to Queen St.

Car parking is $35/night (valet), but we just parked our rental corner two streets away for free on Victoria St West (opposite the Hertz office).

I would definitely stay here again if returning to Auckland.

Room Tip: We were on the 20th floor and even the 'city view' rooms were nice - a high floor is definit...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear aimoverseas

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at The Grand Hotel. Thank you for recommending The Grand Hotel and I am certain that our readers will find your feedback of great value.

I was pleased to read your comments regarding your room and our spacious bathrooms. I will also pass on your great feedback to our Housekeeping Team and In Room Dining Team who I am sure will be delighted to hear your comments.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Nice room, nice location but lacked something, check in staff were nice, though busy, the best thing was the bath and shower, best value as I have stayed in more expensive places and you could not swing a cat but this bathroom was spacious with style. I stayed on a package deal and it was worth it, the room I had was noisy but it quietened down after midnight.

Food and beverages were standard, try and get a room on floors 10 to 12 as the view is amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear african_aussie

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback, it is of great value to us. Our bathrooms are certainly spacious and the separate bath and shower is an added bonus.

I am delighted our team looked after you and if you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, I am more than happy to assist.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked the Grand for two nights as a surprise for my husbands birthday. I emailed the hotel in advance to sort some extra surprises and Alison was so helpful with sorting everything for me. We had a great weekend and everything was perfect, the room, the massage and facial at East Day Spa, dinner at The Grill, the birthday 'cake' and the balloons. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so great we will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Catznz

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I am so pleased that you both enjoyed your special weekend away.

It was a pleasure to organise all the little extras for you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.