“Excellent Service and Convenience, with a little bit of a downside” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SKYCITY Grand Hotel

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent Service and Convenience, with a little bit of a downside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We went there for a weekend away from our house, and overall, it was an excellent experience. The service was absolutely fantastic, with the best valet service I've experienced in the pacific. We love night coffees and snacks, and Starbucks was about 3-minute walk away! And if you love the late night life, this is THE place to go to in Auckland. The harbour view from the room and the room service was impressive also.
We've also had some concerns about the reviews we've read on Tripadvisor regarding the change of rooms from the reservation details and the actual check-in, but this was not the case at all, so I don't think anybody should worry about it.
A little bit of a downside is the fact that the person who checked us in at the reception seemed very bothered about the questions I asked about a very strange experience we faced during the process. It's a pity that a perfect stay was marred by just one person, but her impact was too big.
One good and hopeful note is that when I took the matter to the management straight after I went up to my room, they took it very seriously. From the way they apologized and took the matter into their own hands, I felt that this would definitely be taken care of in the future. I really would like to thank the concierge and the management for taking the responsibility and assuring me.
Recommended big time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcville7
Alison B, Front Office Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear jcville7,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel - we take a genuine interest in our guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it is a great tool for training and ensuring we are providing the best service at all times.

I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us - overall, but disappointed to hear about the service you did receive at the front desk while raising an issue.

I believe it was myself you contacted you to discuss the matter - I was happy to help, and glad to hear that you felt the matter was taken seriously.

I hope the one experience did not marr your thoughts on the SKYCITY Grand Hotel - and we hope to welcome you back again soon! Please contact me directly when you wish to stay with us again, so that I can personally take care of your reservation.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and well maintained as you would expect. We were on the upper floor and had a fantastic view of the bridge and city. The hotel was walking distance to the harbor area, shopping and resturants. The lobby was well appointed and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Our trip to the airport was booked through the hotel and the chaffeur was friendly and the vehicle had lots of leg room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larry W
Dear Larry W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel - your feedback is much appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - from the location, to the room, to the chaffeur service and to the staff. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, so I was pleased to read your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the SKYCITY Grand Hotel again soon!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Wow what a great hotel. We were on our honeymoon the hotel gave us a beautiful room on the top floor with an amazing sunset view of the harbor and bridge. They also surprised is with a plate of gourmet chocolates. The room was a nice size with a very comfy bed. Everything was very clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel was perfect, right in the middle of downtown. It was very convenient to shopping and restaurants. I also used the spa for a foot massage which was heavenly! The best part of our stay was the staff. Everyone was so friendly and went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alison B, Front Office Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear oCorrina,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at The SKYCITY Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor - we love receiving feedback from our guests!

I was extremely pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us as part of your honeymoon - the view is wonderful isn't it?

It was wonderful to read about your expereience at the hotel - from the room, to the spa, to the service - I will be sure to pass your wondeful comments on to our team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the SKYCITY Grand Hotel again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here during a conference so didn't have much choice. Room was nice although the view of the hotel on the other side of the road was a bit off-putting as I could see right into people's bedrooms (and presumably they could see into mine) so ended up with the curtains closed the whole time. Room service was good for food, although when I reception asked for some milk and tissues they never appeared. Hotel is convenient for central Auckland and the casino.

Room Tip: Get one facing the SkyTower not the other hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear mandnontour,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor - your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Being in a prime city location, it is inevitable that our hotel is so close to another. However, I would like to update your details in our system that you would prefer a room on the other side of the building - please contact me on the details below.

Apologies that we did not fulfill your service requests when you asked at reception - I have addressed this with the reception team and reiterated to them the importance of following through with service requests.

Thank you again for your feedback - I look forward to hearing from you, and we do hope to welcome you back to the SKYCITY Grand Hotel again soon.

Byron Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel was chosen by Air NZ as part of our holiday package. Yes, views of Auckland were fantastic, the rooms were spacious, clean and well maintained, the service was excellent but somehow I wished I had stayed somewhere else. The feel was somewhat souless, common when staying in a casino resort and I felt isolated from the rest of Auckland. OK for 1 night stay, but next time in Auckland I would like somewhere with a bit of charm and character.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CliffByron
Dear CliffByron,

Thank you for taking the time to review the SKYCITY Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read that you found our rooms spacious and clean, the views fantastic and the service excellent! I was however disapointed to read that you would preferred to have stayed elsewhere - I would love for you to contact me directly to share your concerns/thoughts regarding the souless feeling in the hotel, on the email address below.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is a excellent place if you are looking for fun long time. Just a bridge from the Cassino and several restaurants, a lot of commodity. It is not a 5 stars hotel, but have a good Gym and Sauna and also Pool. City view is not a good view (only the other building in front) but the other side is good, as you see the Tower Skycity and in high floors, can see the Marina. I will be there again. Ah, free internet.. .

Room Tip: Not te city view, other side is better view. Also romantic.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear MarcosKinz,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Grand Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to read that you found staying with us fun. We offer various views from our hotel rooms - City Views (of Auckland City) and Harbour Views (of the surrounding Harbour). Both room categories are available to be booked directly on our website.
I was also glad to hear that you enjoyed the free interet - this is included in selected rooms rates - currently available on our hotel website.

If you are planning another trip to Auckland, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, so that I can arrange your reservation for you.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Grand Hotel soon!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and myself had a wonderful night at the Grand. The room was excellent with lovely harbour views as we were upgraded. We had stayed once previously and were a little disappointed but this time certainly made up for it. The staff and surroundings are first class and everyone was very courteous. We will certainly stay at the Grand again. Thank you to Alison for making it extra special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Lou1985115

Thank you so much for posting your review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay (and our wonderful views) and that we impressed you with our hotel and customer service following your last stay.

I do hope that you return to The Grand Hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me to and I will be more than happy to assist you with your booking.

Kind Regards