“Not great”

Ranked #48 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Nelson, New Zealand
“Not great”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

6 of us booked in August for a stay in March for a concert. Booking was confirmed .In February we were contacted and asked to pay in full within the next 24 hours or our booking would be cancelled.We negotiated another 48 hours and contacted others Decision was made that we had no choice but to pay as Auckland accommodation was at a premium and we would not find anywhere else.Most unusual to be asked for payment in full before we had stayed.On arrival all our credit cards were debited $100 to be refunded after our stay. Had great difficulty then in getting confirmation of our internet payment being received by the hotel. Not easy to access the hotel and we ended parking some distance away and walking back.
Rooms were varied. One couple had wet carpet from leaky bathroom and room didn't smell great either.The lifts were scary as they shook and creaked . Hotel is badly in need of refurbishment. Too many hassles encountered to mention.Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Michael D, Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

You will be delighted to hear that we are undergoing a major refurbishment in the very near future which involves a total overhaul of rooms , lobby and restaurant. We hope to exceed you expectations the next time you visit.

General Manager - Park Regis Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pearl Beach, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is a dreadfully old, unmodified, hotel with nothing to recommend it, except the fantastically helpful & accomodating young French manageress on duty when we arrived.
The rest of the place needs demolishing.
The "Restaurant" has the ambience of a factory canteen, & the morning "manager" on duty could not even find paper serviettes.Breakfast was "basic" never mind "continental".
The rooms are 1950, beds are comfortable, & clean, decor is dreadful/nonexistant, bathrooms are of ballroom proportions but lack facilities. The lifts creak & groan as if they are about to collapse, and generally this place needs a serious makeover.
No parking except at a multi story 2 blocks away at a horrific rate per day !!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel !!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
You will be delighted to hear that after our recent takeover we, like you, have recognised the need for a major refurbishment and are embarking on a major project to uplift all aspects of this grand old building. My only regret is that we could not complete this before your stay. Thank you for noting the service star qualities of our young French duty manager.

Kind regards

Park Regis Auckland - General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2014

When I booked this hotel for a business trip I specifically looked for a CBD hotel with parking. I then requested at the time of booking a car park. When I got to Queen Street in Auckland at 5pm (peak traffic) there was no where to stop outside the hotel. I called them and on the third call I was told to stop on the loading zone (full) and come in. I finally could manage this went in only to be told that the hotel parking was full and I would need to park at the Britomart carpark 10 mins away. This is appalling service as I'd specifically requested a park. They checked my booking records and confirmed I had requested one, shrugged and said but their's was full. I had to get my bag take it to my room then go back down, drive using a map to find the parking and then walk a BRISK 10 minutes back all trying to make a 6pm appointment. The room was very old with pealing ceilings, dreadfully worn and stained carpet. The next morning at checkout i waited 8minutes for anyone to appear at reception to check me out, I then had to argue about paying the $30 for Britomart parking given the check in person had finally waived this under the circumstances but had clearly not notated this agreement on my file. Eventually I was checked out and had to walk 10 minutes with my suitcase in the dark (6am) to the carpark.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
I have taken note of your comments and must apologise for not having one of our carparks ready for you. We are undergoing a major refurbishment soon which will rectify any concerns that exist regarding the rooms.

Kind regards

Park Regis Auckland - General Manager
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Positive: central location close to Britomart and Viaduct. That is the one and only positive of this dump of a hotel. We booked in August and paid in full for the 1st of March for a weekend a concert. We got a phone call on Friday night saying that the hotel was having issues with plumbing and they would move us to another location 10 minutes from the city. Location was more like an hour drive in Auckland traffic. We refused to move and had a standup debate with management for 1 and 1/2 hours until they finally agreed to give us the rooms we had booked. They admitted that they moved us because we had paid the least and others had paid more. The room was small with no window. The carpet was stained, the toilet took ages to drain and the telephone needed two people to hold plugs in place to get it to work. Arrived home from concert and we might as well of been at the nightclub beside the hotel. The noise was so loud even with a pillow over my head I could hear it clearly. If you want to stay in a noisy, stained and ignorant management then this is your place. We won't go anywhere near the place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
My apologies for your bad experience. The relocations became necessary following unexpected maintenance issues on the day which affected virtually an entire floor. We tried our level best to find alternative accommodation for the guests affected (and thanks to Bruce Springsteen this was no small feat). I must point out that under no circumstances would guests be moved according to the rate they paid. The order of relocations was done solely on a first come first serve basis. The staff member on duty had the unenviable task relocating guests, something we try to avoid at all costs but I am sure you will understand maintenance issues do arise and in this case the timing could not have been worse. Again I apologize for your bad experience and must add further that a major renovation is taking place soon which will put pay to the other issues you mentioned. Our group has recently taken over this grand old site and aim to have it as one of Auckland’s best and trendiest locations in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback.

Warm regards,

General Manager - Park Regis Auckland
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hi if you are coming to Auckland the Park Regis hotel does not deliver room wise on there web site. We booked 3nights at the hotel in a queen size room as shown on there web site, when we arrived we were given a room with a double bed and a single bed and a little kitchen,nothing like the picture we saw when we booked. We asked about this but was told that was the room if we did not want to stay they would try and find another hotel for us all well and good but every where was more expensive.We decided to stay where we were then at 12.00 we discovered we are above a night club.Music finished about 2.00 am complained but hotel unable to do anything. The next morning we complained and were told 27 people had complained that morning on check out. The hotel moved us to another room instead. Overall the whole place could do with being refurbished as the carpets in our rooms were stained and finger marks over the ceiling from repairs.
I have stayed in better motels for less on my trip. Beware no wi fi in rooms unless you want to pay 30 minutes in lobby for free won't be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Having recently taken over the management of the property we have identified a number of areas of concern and must apologise as some of these concerns were evident during your stay

We are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment which will upgrade and improve facilities across the board. It would be great to get you back in future to experience all the planned improvements.

Michael Davies
Tadworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We paid for 3 nights but stayed only 1 as the street noise went on until 5am! The hotel is very basic and rooms are extremely small, felt like a cell. I can only advise that if you really have to stay here, avoid weekend days, they are the worst. When I complained to the manager, he offered me ear plugs!! This was a first for me!!

Room Tip: Higher floors away from the bars
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Firstly thank you for your feedback. We value any and all feedback with the view to improve our services based on the feedback of our customers.

Our group is in the process of refurbishing the Park Regis Auckland as well as other properties in the group. Our plans include totally overhauling the rooms and bathrooms to bring them up to a much higher standard and aim to resolve the issues that you mentioned along with many other improvements. We are aware of the occasional noise issue from surrounding pubs and clubs. This problem is being approached from many angles including recommendations from an Auckland based sound engineering firm.

Unfortunately we have not concluded the processes mentioned as they do tend to take a while to complete.
Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations but I can assure you that once we have concluded works we will certainly leave a lasting and very positive impression.

I urge you visit again in future to experience the changes

Your feedback is much appreciated in any event.

Michael Davies