“Always Great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Always Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My Husband and I always prefer to stay at the Pullman. It is a great Hotel, always clean, the staff are very helpful and it is in a wonderful location for getting around the main city on foot. The pool and gym are all you need and the Restaurant is great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joobs710
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Joobs710,

Thank you for your review of our property. The team truly appreciates all your kind comments on their service and our facilities, location and cleanliness.

Thank you for making our hotel your preference when you stay in Auckland.

We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.

Pullman Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Right from the check in to check out I had a wonderful experience. So much so I am booked in for my next trip to Auckland in April.
The staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms extremely comfortable and the location is ideal for shows at the Vector, Civic or Aotea Centre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear NolanWaugh,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel – we are so glad that you had such a wonderful experience. Special thanks for the kind mentions on our staff, location and rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in March/April.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had read some review on Trip Advisor which were critical of this hotel but we wanted a hotel with a pool and I am an Accor member and this was the only hotel. We were pleasantly surprised with the standard as some reviewere said that this hotel shouldn't have 5 star status. This is not a top hotel but has many 5 star qualities without having the 5 star price tag. If you want to pay $300 - $400 then you get the to hotels. For the price of just over $NZ 200 we had a lovely stay. Our package included $NZ 40 credit to be used for food. After using my Accor card we paid $NZ26 each for a breakfast and dinner (no wine). The spa and pool area was very nice with a 25-30m heated pool and jacuzzi. There are also a sauna and steam room as well as spa services. The roof was open over the pool as it was hot but I imagine it closes in winter. We arrived off a cruise and caught a taxi for under $20 to the hotel. It is up a hill and there is a walk from the main shopping area uphill to the hotel but it was manageable even for us (we are in our late 50's). If you have walking problems it couold be difficult but if you are fit there is no problem. We ordered a shuttle to the airport which didn't come so the hotel ordered a taxi for us at a fixed rate of $NZ62. I would stay there again. The breakfast and dinner were excellent although the service for dinner didn't match the breakfast service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SydneySandra31,

Thank you for review on our 5 star hotel. I am glad that you were able to experience the many benefits that come with being an ACCOR Advantage plus member. It works wonders to make your dollar go that extra bit further so you can spend less on accommodation and food and more on exploring Auckland.

It is great also that you were able to experience our Spa at the Pullman facilities. We get many positive comments on this area of the hotel – glad that you agree with the consensus.

Thank you again for staying with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stay here back in September 2011 and had a wonderful experience! Before checking in I had breakfast which was very good.. you know long flight, very hungry. When I check in they told me my room was ready and that it had been upgraded! I was floored when I opened the door and saw a kitchen, living, huge balcony, plus a big bathroom and bedroom! Great service! Will stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear shanmcken,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel – we truly appreciate it. I am glad that you were able to be upgraded by our team and experience the positive attributes of our Residence Suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and New Zealand in the future.

Wellington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I got a mystery 5* hotel deal from Expedia for this hotel. Was still over $300 for the night and I was hpiong for a 5* experience. Honestly, I had hoped it would be the Hilton and was a little concerned when I read previous reviews after the name of the hotel had been revealed. First the positives: the pool and gym are very nice, the room that we finally got was lovely except for the shabby carpet that the manager explained will be replaced. But it was shabby for our stay. There was a great view of the harbour and the balcony was nice. The bed is great and good quality linens, bath robes. There is free WiFi, although you have to look carefuly for it on the sign in page since it's only a small icon compared to the larger one for WiFi that's $10. Unfortunately, there were many more negatives than positives. I should preface this by saying that the management did what they could to make up for the various faults, but it's the faults that stay with you and regardless of attempts to make up for them, I expect everything in a 5* hotel to be spot on. I suspect that the rating will drop rather significantly when the place is reviewed again. Upon check in, I asked for a room in the refurbished part of the hotel and one high up with a view. I had requested this over the phone previously after haing read trip advisor reviews. I was told that I could not have such a room, that the room they had upgraded me to would only be available at 5:00 and so they had me in a room in the hotel part. I spoke to the manager and after some chatting he agreed to put us in the residence part of the hotel in room 954. The suite was really lovely, full kitchen (wish I had known) but no coffee plunger! and only instant coffee! I requested a plunger but was told that those were only available in other rooms. A voucher for a complimentary drink at the bar was provided but that's not quite the same as having plunger coffee in your room. Within a few minutes of arriving, the fridge started to complain loudly. I called and was told that the electrician would be up to check on it. We went to the gym (lovely) and for a swim (also lovely) and returned to the room at 5:00. The noise was gone, the fridge was open but there was no electricity in the kitchen area. So boiling water for a cup of instant coffee could only be done using an outlet on the floor in the living room. Again I called and was told that someone would come up. Now I had been ready for a wee nap before a big night out in Auckland (the reason I was there). But no. My partner and I had to get dressed in order to meet and greet the electrician who then turned on the switch that he had turned off so that the fridge could defrost and the noise be fixed. By 6:00 all was done but no time for the nap now. I tried to iron my clothes but the board has only a flimsy covering and the marks from the underpart became patterned on my clothes. So I got a towel and put it on and all was good. But one has to wonder why such a flimsy cover was on the board in the first place. So we got dressed in clothes that now looked acceptable and headed out for a lovely night. Returned at 1:00 and ready to drop. The air con was not working well and so sleep was not great. I complained and management comped us breakfast and gave us a late check out of 1:00 but that hardly made up for the miserable time we had at the Pullman. Needless to say, I will not be back. I have booked into the Rendezvous for my next visit in April. The wotif deal there was less than half the Pullman @ $129 per night, parking is free as oppsed to $30 at the Pullman, and. in my opinion, the Rendezvous has much better qaulity control, lovely rooms, and also give a 2 for 1 breakfast voucher with the stay. Both hotels have free WiFi.

Room Tip: ask for the refrbished rooms, high up, with a view of the harbour and a separate bath and shower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SusanWellington,

Thank you for your review of our property including your positive comments on our spa facilities and residence room.

With regards to your booking, the room type that you booked through HotWire was an Executive King Suite in our hotel tower, not a room in our Residence Tower. As we explained to you on the phone and also upon arrival, had you booked a Residence Suite then we would have most gladly provided it to you. As we were at high occupancy during your stay it was difficult for us to provide our guests with upgrades. In this instance we managed to find a One Bedroom Residence, which we provided to you via a complimentary upgrade.

With regards to the coffee plunger, these should be available in all our Residence rooms for which I apologise was not the case in your room. We are able to provide a coffee plunger on request but in this instance as you came to the front desk to report this issue, rather than make you wait for your morning coffee, we provided you with complimentary coffees from our Lobby Bar for which you were very grateful.

On the issue of the Fridge, please accept my apologies that this was not checked prior to your stay. Unfortunately a previous guest had left the freezer door ajar which had caused the freezer to over ice which had then caused the noise you experienced. Our Electrician had to switch off the power in order to de-frost the fridge. A note should have been placed under your door to explain this to you, and my apologies that this was not done. As per your request to fix this issue for you, we sent our Electrician back up to the room straight away. We would gladly have waited to a time more convenient had you requested this from us, but as you didn’t we continued to provide our high level of service by fixing the problem in a timely manner.

As a result of the inconvenience caused by the lack of information provided about the power switch off we provided you both with a complimentary breakfast and also a late checkout of 1pm for which you were very appreciative.

I thank you again for staying with us and wish you all the best in your next hotel stay.

All the best for 2013.

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Nice hotel and rooms are of a good standard are very clean. Stayed here as apart of a mystery deal, was a bargain price. Hotel staff went out of their way to provide good customer service. Good hotel amenities in the room. Would stay here again. It's a slight walk from Queen street, but good to out of the hustle of Queen Street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your mystery hotel including our customer service and amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Spent four nights here as part of a business trip in New Zealand; I generally stick with the Accor chain, more for convenience than anything else, but this is a great example of the group. Staff are consistently good (from the apologetic concierge because only one of the valets could drive a manual transmission, to the receptionist who unprompted got from behind the counter to take my bags to a taxi). I got upgraded to a suite because of my status, and these rooms are very nice, though I didn't have the best view (overlooking the entrance canopy). The gym and pool here are comparable with a stand alone gym that I would pay for - a real luxury for me. The hotel also has the friendliest cleaning staff I have ever encountered.

One flaw is probably the bar and restaurant, the service here is a bit lacking, compared to the standard of the hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade if you can get it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RobTheWelsh,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review on our hotel. It is great that you were able to experience our dedicated service and our Spa at the Pullman facilities and enjoyed them both.

I am so proud of our team and how they continue to perform to a high service level. With regards to the bar and restaurant, thank you for being honest in your review of these areas, as a result I have addressed this with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to both Auckland and the hotel again in the future.