“Fantastic facilities but try not to get lost”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Fantastic facilities but try not to get lost”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a lovely two night stay here. We were here for the Big Day Out and appreciated the proximity of this hotel to local facilities especially Britomart.

The check in staff were friendly and we were impressed with our room. We stayed in a one bedroom room which was huge especially the bathroom. The kitchen did not have a microwave so this could be something to take into account if you are planning on cooking in your room.

This hotel has amazing facilities, however, I have two recommendations to make. The signage in this hotel is TERRIBLE. We wanted to go to the health club which was the roof top pool, spa and gym. We were staying in room 454 and thought this was great as the health club was apparently accessible from level 4. We followed the signs to the health club winding ourselves round the corridors here. We had recently watched the movie "The Shining" and both remarked that the corridors reminded us of this movie. We reached the last sign and were confronted by a lift and an emergency exit. The lift had a sign which DID NOT include the health club. Another hotel guest (who did not speak English) was also looking for the health club. I confidently lead her out to the emergency exit as I thought that would be where the health club would be located. I was wrong and we got locked out. We had to go down to reception to seek help.

At reception I spoke to the conceirge working that evening and was shocked by how unhelpful he was. He gave us vague instructions and would not provide us with a map of the hotel (a sketch on the back of a napkin would have come in handy). Eventually we found the health club. You have to go into the lift even though the lift sign does not list the health club.

This debacle was worth it as the health club is excellent with a huge rooftop pool and spa. There was also gym facilities and showers there to. I think they also have a bar up there to. There were heaps of sun loungers and I imagine that this would be a popular spot during the day.

We also wanted to go to the indoor pool and spa. Luckily a person who lived at the hotel was able to provide instructions on how to get there. I was also impressed with the indoor facilities which also included a sauna and gym. The indoor pool is more of a lap pool and would be suited for exercise. This hotel also has a huge tennis court.

Overall we had a pleasant stay despite getting lost. Our room was comfortable and quiet. I will definitely be staying here in the future now that I know my way around.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear OliviaM,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted we exceeded your expectations on comfort and relaxation. I have noted your comments regarding signage and we have spent sometime this week having a re look at this point you have raised as we do have to remember we walk this area every day and our focus has to be, each day is a new day with new guest being welcomed to our experience. I would hope that we will have this updated over the next month or so.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts as I always respect all feedback that helps us improve all elements of our guest experience.
We do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Heritage Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Picton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I took the opportunity to stay at the Heritage over the Christmas period. What a great decision. Based upon the idea that most Aucklanders would vacate the city and the occupancy would be low was confused somewhat with many of the ASB tennis competitors staying there, a truly delightful bunch. I cannot compliment the staff too much. The cleanliness and friendliness of the room servicing staff, always cheerful, the restaurant staff with their friendliness and the front of house staff were professional to a standard I have seldom experienced overseas. Located as it is on the one way system 5 minutes to the zoo, Chamberlain Park golf course and Takapuna by car or 5 minute walk to Library Art Gallery Viaduct, Brittamart etc. The highlight was perhaps the roof top pool open on New Years eve for the Sky city fireworks. What an experience! The clincher included in our package complimentary breakfasts and car parking. The breakfasts were superb!!! Going back? Watch this space.

Room Tip: Views over the harbour were much appreciated
Dear Tom P,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and we do look forward to meeting you again during your next stay with us when we will be honored to serve you with pride.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay at The Heritage, and we were very impressed! We arrived very early in the morning, and they were able to check us into our room long before the stated check-in time, which was very much appreciated after a 13 hour flight.

The room was spacious, with an incredibly comfortable bed. The building is beautiful, with hardwood floors throughout, and a great lobby. They also offer an hour of free wifi each day, which was very helpful. It is centrally located, with quick walks to both the Sky Tower and the waterfront. The staff were all very helpful and true to the rumors, very friendly.

An absolutely wonderful experience, and a hotel I would gladly stay at again and again if I'm lucky enough to return to Auckland.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Andrew Z
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Andrew Z,
Thank you very much for sharing the wonderful comments with our readers relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are very proud "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and that the memories of your will be shared with family and friends. we were honored to serve you and do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is the second time staying here. The staff are so friendly and it is good that the management team are visible and chat to you at breakfast. The location is great and the pools are a great addition to the facilities. The rooms were clean and the kitchen has everything you require to prepare snacks, especially useful with children. The breakfast is good and the restaurant team are so cheery and helpful.

Room Tip: A high a floor as possible
Dear bella186338,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are extremely pleased "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations. we were honored to host you and do look forward to welcoming you back to Heritage Auckland sometime very soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel is situated in a good location for the sights, shopping and the waterfront. We just had a standard room which was fine. The breakfast was buffet style and very nice. We used the valet parking which was on the expensive side.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear baggiebird22,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I am delighted that we were able to exceed most of your expectations and have noted your comment relating to the cost of our valet under cover car parking. We do offer this service for guest but it also needs to be clear that we have at least 2 car parking buildings operated by service providers that may be more economic for guest if our service is deemed costly.
I do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your holiday throughout New Zealand and would look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We got here to a great weather! But... We were really tired as we just arrived from Singapore after just a day there. The room is nice and there is a kitchenette great for our 5 days stay here before we visit our family in Christchurch.

It is though a little disappointing that the room wasn't ready when we got there.. Because me and especially my children where really tired and it was real early in the morning.

The location is pretty good so other than the waiting for the room part i surely am loving this place.

I felt the staff was not too understanding.. But you know what? They are friendly and were very patient even tough i was rather difficult. Well, after a tiring flight tough, all you want is some good rest... Sorry guys if i gave you a hard time!

Stayed November 2013
Dear Hoegum,
Thank you for taking the time to share with our readers comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. I do note your feedback relating to your room not been available on check in and I can say with a strong conviction that we ensure we make available guest rooms as quickly as possible on arrival. I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and location and do hope you enjoyed catching up with your family in Christchurch.
bucks uk
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent our first two nights in NZ here and enjoyed a very comfortable stay in a large two double bedded room with a kitchenette. The kids loved the pool and we admired the views from the roof. Breakfast was fantastic with such a selection on offer and nice to see the General Manager walking about and talking to guests. Would definitely recommend.
Also this hotel is just 5 min walk to Hertz if you are renting a car.

Room Tip: We were in old part overlooking roof pool with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear animal123,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and that our warm and very friendly service standards has left you with excellent memories of your stay with us.
We would be most honored to host you again sometime very soon.