“Functional, clean, comfortable, but soulless.”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Blue Mountains
“Functional, clean, comfortable, but soulless.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed in one of the executive rooms in mid April in the 'Tower' section, requesting a view of the harbour. This I had to pay an extra $40.00 for so to guarantee the privilege. yet the 'view' was only available from one section of the loungeroom - most of it obscured by the hotel section of Heritage directly opposite.

That annoyance aside though, the room was very comfortable, cleaned daily, and lots of space. It was also very quiet which, for someone like me who needs the sleep was appreciated.Bed was comfortable.

Heritage is a very nice hotel, if nice is what you want. But it is bland.I think due more to the company that own Heritage than the staff itself. Comfortable and functional, yet without any soul to it. But if you want a nice place to stay -- quiet,suburban, comfortable, yet forgetable, somewhere which seems more to cater to a business clientele -- then Heritage is worth it.

Room Tip: the higher you go in the Tower block, the more chance you will to have a clear view of the harbour...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Mark J,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. We have worked very hard to ensure that guest do understand the difference in experience our Tower and Hotel wings offer. The Tower accommodation wings has a very functional clean spacious feel that caters very well for corporate and leisure guest. The hotel wing will celebrate 100 years of operation and carries a since sense of history through our accommodation with high ceiling, wooden floors and a more traditional color palette from the 1900's. I am delighted that we were able to ensure you had a very comfortable stay with us and would look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Heritage Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Thai first
Taupo
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently stayed at The Heritage for a business trip and trade show at the hotel also. The room was outstanding as was the service. I would thoroughly recommend this accommodation to those looking for a very special night in Auckland.

Dear Taupo_Bungy,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the really nice comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. We are delighted that we have been able to share with you our 'Heritage experience" and do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the heritage for 1 night only.. Had a wonderfull room that was spacious and had a sea view.
Close to everything the CBD has to offer.
Free continental breakfast was brilliant as also was the late checkout.
Would deffinetly stay here again

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Mullup,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with our readers relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I am delighted you had a great stay and that you were able to enjoy our "Heritage experience" we do look forward to welcoming you back sometime very soon.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed in the superior suite and omg! amazing! for what it was worth compared to other hotels we got more than expected. I would definitely keep using Heritage for business stays. Staff were warm and friendly, very pleasant indeed.
From the kitchen, to bedroom, to bathroom and to living room i could not falt anything. lighting was awesome and the cosy feeling of being in the suite was priceless. So thankyou and see you someday soon :) Lou

Room Tip: Any room is perfect here :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear LouiseB,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers your wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. I am delighted that we have been able to share our Heritage experience with you and that we have exceeded your expectations.
We look forward to hosting you sometime very soon.
Potton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at The Heritage for 3 nights whilst on a business trip to Auckland. The stylish exterior is matched with warm wood interior. Staff were all friendly and efficient throughout the stay.

I was in room 452, a double queen size room with writing desk and a large bathroom with a wet-room shower. Bed was very comfortable and I slept very well.

On my first morning I asked for a 6 am wake up call, my iPhone hadn't automatically re-set to NZ time and was still on Sydney time (-2 hours!) I picked up the room phone to hear an automated greeting. On checking the time on my iphone (4am) I assumed that the hotel system was incorrect and fell back to sleep. After 5 minutes there was a knock at my door, I ignored it (!) the knocking continued intermittently until I staggered to the door. A very courteous member of staff reassured me it was 6am and that this was my wake-up call! Later, when heading to the restaurant for breakfast I sought out the member of staff to thank him. Great customer service.

A couple of pricing niggles which didn't improve my experience:

1: Breakfast, 3 pricing points: Express/Continental/Full English. Why have such a complex system?! This meant that every day we had to consider if we wanted to 'upgrade' from express to continental for $9 just to eat some fruit or yoghurt?! Crazy pricing and not at all customer-orientated. As a team we are frequent travelers and have never encountered such a silly pricing system at a time when all you want to do is fuel-up before a long day.

2: Wi-fi, ludicrous charging structure and should be 100% free. As with hotel phone calls in times gone by this is a very un-subtle and overt way of making more money at guest's expense.

I would stay at the Heritage again and would recommend this property. Try and get on a package deal where breakfast and wifi are included and you'll enjoy a relaxing time without niggling silly and unnecessary frustrations

Room Tip: 452 is a nice room
Dear corporatedrama,
I note the really positive elements of your stay and appreciate you sharing these. I would like to comment on our breakfast options which in general terms have been driven by our customers who look for convenience from an express breakfast (tea, toast and pastries to continental up to a full cooked breakfast. I have to ensure that we are communicating these options clearly not to cause any confusion.
I would look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Heritage really is a bit of a mix, although I came away feeling mostly positive. We stayed for five nights in the Hotel, rather than the Tower. Our room was lovely, complete with cosy sofas and cooking facilites. It was always very clean. It faced into the hotel, looking down over the dining hall, which was quite nice but it did mean that we had no natural light into our room and it was quite dark, even with the lights on.The shower wasn't great, but the room was comfortable.
The decoration of the whole hotel was pretty dated - it needs a bit of redecoration.The pool in our side of the hotel was closed during the length of our stay, which we only became aware of because of small notes stuck in the lift.
One of the most frustrating things about the Heritage is that all extras are charged for - wifi, laundry, car parking etc.Given this is a city centre hotel, I feel like they could be a bit more generous with those sort of extras within the price of the room.
The restaurant is also very expensive, without really living up to the price. The breakfast menu and buffet is pretty average - again, given it's in the city centre, it really should be better as there are so many other options nearby.
We had the worst meal of our three week trip here. We signed up for the Earth Day dinner, which was a three course vegetarian meal. This could have been excellent, but instead we were served raw vegetables as a starter, bean curd for the main and oddly falvoured fruit and ice cream (beetroot infused watermelon??). We were really disappointed, and I couldn't finish any of it. This was very frustrating at 45 dollars a head. We wished we'd taken the lead of the couple on the table next to us and ordered off the menu instead. Not a good move, Heritage.

To be fair to the Heritage, though, they do have a few brilliant aspects: their staff are friendly and helpful at all times and we felt really welcomed by them. The bar in the lobby makes brilliant cocktails and the bar staff are equally friendly. The guy that served us on the second night we stayed was so knowledgable about the area and chatted to us for a while about different sights we should see and activities to do during our trip. We really appreciated that.
The location of the Heritage is far and away the best feature of the hotel - despite all the gripes above, we had a brilliant time in Auckland (the best part of our trip to New Zealand) and being so well situated made it so much easier. The hotel is a two minute walk from the Sky Tower, the Catholic Cathedral is across the road and you walk down to the Harbour in about 7 minutes. We even managed to make the 30 minute walk out to Parnell on the Sunday morning, which was relatively straightforward from our location.

Despite the gripes and niggles, we enjoyed our time at the Heritage. We were trying to cram a lot into the few days we were there, and this hotel was perfectly situated and set up to come back at the end of a long day and collapse onto the sofa and relax. If you're travelling to it for this purpose, then I would recommend the Heritage. If you're looking to be pampered, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rfb12,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your stay with us in March 2013. I have noted the points that were enjoyable about your stay with us and your observations on areas that you though could be improved.
In relation to the building decor, we have refurbished most of our hotel rooms but have to highlight that the building will celebrate it's 100 years next year and we have worked hard to retain the elegance of the era the building was constructed. The design is not to everyone's liking but we do have two buildings one that is elegant and historical and one that is modern and functional.
The comments relating to other charges for WiFi, car parking and other items these are always deems to be additional as not all guest use these services and it would escalate our room rate unreasonably.
Your feedback on our Restaurant have been discussed in great detail and as we have pioneered healthy cuisine options for our guest and have had wonderful success in delivering high quality options for guest to really enjoy. This has recently culminated in Hectors Restaurant being the first hotel restaurant in New Zealand to be Vegetarian society accredited for our quality, consistency and commitment to healthy living.
I am also very pleased to advise you that our breakfast pricing has been re priced at $28 from $35 with no reduction in product or service quality.
In closing, I do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and do appreciate the detail in your response on your stay with us.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The best part about this hotel was the service,r eally friendly and attentive with a great attitude from the entire staff! My room was cozy and well maintained, good amenities (manuka) and while he view was nothing to write home about, it was quite all right.
I also really like the wooden floors in the corridors and the support beams from orginial timber; had a real boutique feel about it...
The dwonside was that soem rooms seem to have kitchens and people were cooking quite a bit in them, so the entire corridor always smelled of frying or grilling or rice; quite displeasing. Also, a few rooms on my floor seemed to leave their doors ajar when cooking (they stuck a shoe in there) that really made it sell quite intensly.
Not a fan of the long corridors but I understand since this is a Heritage property.
Breakfast was great!
Location is also quite good!

1 Thank Pdittay
Dear Pdittay,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. I am please in general that we have meet your comfort expectations and have noted your comments about the cooking issues. All units have their own kitchen extract system so we will ensure that we reduce the incidents of guest doors been left open. I do hope that you ahve enjoyed the rest of your stay in New Zealand and do look forward to hosting you again when you return to New Zealand.