“Beware the business traveller” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heritage Auckland

Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Beware the business traveller”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over many years. This time my stay was booked via an agent. Upon check in the hotel staff placed me in a room with no desk, no chair and the tiniest space. Not ideal for the business traveller. This type of room is very substandard when compared to most other Auckland hotels. To avoid the risk of being dumped in a sub standard room with none of the normal business facilities - stay in one of the other Auckland hotels. They are generally much better than this. Heritage just lost one of its regulars.

Room Tip: Room allocation is a lottery. There are some good rooms, some awful. Avoid the hotel to avert the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear John K,
Thank you for sharing comments relating to your recent stay with us with our readers. I am disappointed we have not met your expectations and would certainly like an opportunity to correct this and regain your custom. We have several room types for travellers and business customers and we would have reserved the room type requested. Auckland has been particularly busy in the last couple of weeks and availability has been limited. This still in no way reverses your concerns but can allow readers some balance in your posting. We have many long term loyal customers that return weekly to Heritage Auckland and do hope that we can welcome you back sometime very soon. If you would like to contact me personally to discuss this posting, please do with out hesitation as it is only with customer feedback can we continue to gauge the quality of our guest experience
Heritage Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Thai first
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have cogitated on the review of this hotel for several days. Although it is nice, I am somewhat ambivalent about sharing a completely positive experience.
Our company had booked us into the "Towers" wing, rather than the "Hotel" wing, and it is definitely a Tale of Two Cities. The bellman at the hotel wing gave us a bit of a smirk when we pulled up in front of the property ("Oh, you're at the TOWERS wing, you have to drive around the block.")
The rate was good, and included internet (NOT unlimited mind you, but 500 MB/day), as well as breakfast.
The inside was clean, but somewhat tatty - on the 5th floor some of the external doors had noticeable damage which had not been repaired.
On the 11th floor - there was scaffolding (which did not bother me, since we had been advised in advance - but more on that in a moment) obstructing the view, but the room was otherwise very nice ... with good lighting, a King sized bed, a very small (but well-stocked) kitchenette, a pleasant bathroom with walk-in shower, and a combo washer/dryer ... which did not work well at all. It was unable to remove even the smallest stain, and drying took upwards of THREE HOURS, yes, that is correct.
The second morning I was there, while getting dressed in the morning, workmen showed up on my balcony, going up the aforementioned scaffolding ... at 7:00 AM ... a full HOUR earlier than advertised. I was completely unprepared, and very embarrassed. I spoke to Sanna at the front desk in the Hotels tower, who assured me (correctly) that would not happen again, but offered no explanation.
The parking, at $35/day was expensive, but handled very efficiently.
The breakfast was uninspired, but none-the-less welcome ... and Maria was an absolute JOY at the restaurant. The one day I ate lunch there, the food was still bland, but edible (albeit overpriced), and she was there again to make the effort worthwhile.
So, in the end, while I would return to the hotel, I think I would skip the "Towers" wing.

Room Tip: A harbour view is probably preferable to a CBD view, but they are both nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Boeing767
Dear Boeing 767,
Thank you for sharing with our readers detailed comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. While you have made some postive observations which is very pleasing I beleive I also need to clarify a couple of points for our readers to ensure that a balanced opinion can be delivered which includes: Tower guest doors; we have just completed repainting all guest doors 2 months ago, one of our doors sustained damaged on the 5th floor which is waiting to be replaced, this has to be custom built to fire safety standards and has been ordered, we are at the mercy of the cabinet maker to complete it. The contractors were completely out of order and I can again only apologise for this happening as we were unaware this was going to take place. I have noted your other points and we would very much look forward to welcoming you back to Heritage Auckland sometime very soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a great say here, lovely big suite with harbour view. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Only negative comment is that it wasn't easy to find the pool, gym ect. A map on arrival would help, the guest book wasn't clear. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and a harbour view. We also stayed in a room with internal view of the restaurant...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle S,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we have been able to share our "Heritage Experience" with you. I have noted your comments about the building map which is available at reception and should have been provided for you on arrival. We do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is well appointed - quite standard but good - everything you need. We had a small kitchenette in our room too. I liked the way they have recycling bins in the room as well. The only thing to be aware of is there are two parts to the hotel. If you are in the Tower Block like we were, there is a bit of a walk from the Hobson Street reception to your room. And the breakfast is also in the Hobson St part. However, you can check out in Nelson Street which is quite convenient. They have tried to do all they can to alleviate the inconvenience of two buildings. Service was very good. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Can't speak about the Hobson St side, but rooms on Nelson St in the Tower are nice, with kitchet...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Stan061,
Thank you for sharing with our readers your wonderful comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I am delighted we were able to share our Heritage experience with you and that we were able to exceed your expectations very well. We do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.
Kindest Regards
West Midlands UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for one night, we live about an hours drive south of Auckland, but were off to the ODI England v Blackcaps. We came across the hotel whilst searching online, we were very pleased with our choice. We had a free room upgrade, breakfast and valet parking.
The suite was very good, spacious, clean and well equipped.
Breakfast was a buffet and had a very good choice and quality of food.
The staff, were very pleasant and helpful.
The only negative was that the floor in the bathroom, when wet from the shower was very slippy. Slightly longer shower curtains might help to minimise splash.
We will defiantly use the hotel again when staying in Auckland!! Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Juxtajenny,
Thank you for sharing with our readers your wonderful comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I am extremely delighted that we have been able to share with you our "Heritage Experience" with you which included your sleep, eat and play elements. The cricket result was not in our (NZ) favour but do wish you all the very best for the rest of your stay in New Zealand. We would be delighted to welcome you both back sometime very soon.

Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed with my husband and toddler in the Towers after negotiating a great rate which included parking and breakfast for $199. After reading through TA reviews I requested a room in the Towers which is joined by a walkway to the main Heritage - very easy level walk.

Apartment had a separate bedroom (room 814) and kitchenette with cooking facilities and bathroom included washing maching/dryer. It was clean and in good condition and the sofa bed folded out for our daughter to sleep on.

Plenty of space and we also used the spa and swimming pool which were okay (indoor). Breakfast was good and although not a huge selection was good and well presented (buffet style).

All in all we enjoyed our stay and it was very, very quiet - didn't hear any other guests. Loved that.
We would definitely stay here again on such a great deal.

Room Tip: Room 814 in the Towers
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear DCBAuckalnd,
Thank you for sharing with our readers your comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I am delighted that we were able to share with you our "Heritage Experience" and that all elements of your stay exceeded your expectations. We continue to work very hard as a team to ensure our guest stay is memorable and value for money.
We look forward to welcoming you all back to Heritage Auckland sometime very soon.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at Heritage Auckland (Tower wing) for a week-long celebration of our honeymoon. And it was simply awesome. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. They even confirmed our airport transfer schedule. The food at the restaurant were very good. They didn't have a gazillion choices of food, but the variety was enough for a person to fill himself up. At least, you could try a different dish for everyday that you're there. The room we had had a view of the harbor and it was simply amazing, especially at night when you could see the city and the harbor area lit up in the dark.

I liked that the entire hotel had a homey and comfortable feel, yet you knew you would get the same services provided in a hotel. I liked that it had a kitchenette and that you had the option to just cozy up in the living room while eating your heated dinner. I loved that you wouldn't have to feel or think "ooh, this is a hotel and we should act all sophisticated and stuff." I loved its warm and homey ambiance.

The only thing I would have wanted is free internet access in the rooms. Although there was an hour of free internet access in the lobby, I'm pretty sure more guests would have liked it if they wouldn't have to go down to the lobby to make a call or surf or check their emails. The internet access rate is a bit steep, and so it have been perfect if we had an free internet access in the room...even for just an hour or two.

Room Tip: get a room with a harbor view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cotaoco,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with. I am delighted that we were able to provide you a memorable Heritage stay experience including enjoyable accommodation and dining options while honeymooning in New Zealand. I have shared your comments with my team and do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand.