“Tired and noisy”

Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Walton on the Hill, United Kingdom
“Tired and noisy”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were disappointed by this hotel which was booked for us by a travel agent. The location was great with lovely views but the hotel was very dated, room was noisy, breakfast average and staff unhelpful. Even the background music came from a bygone age!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank linda r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was unpleasantly surprised how BAD this hotel is, given it has such a fantastic location
and truly gorgeous outlook over Auckland's Harborfront.

Where to begin...how about the good start? I arrived @ 7:30am from AKL having come 13 hours across the Pacific on my SF originated flight. The hotel front desk person offered to check me in immediately --( since there were empty rooms the night before) this was really appreciated.

The room however, with a GREAT waterfront view was SO, SO SO tired -- seriously I do not think that the furniture or drapes have been upgraded from the 50's or the 60's. The wood was all scratched or marred, the walls were scuffed and simply dirty, the bathroom tile was grotty & the lighting was horrid. I should have simply checked out immediately.

However, I was only in for 1 night, I had schlepped my luggage to the farthest room down the hallway on the floor and a shower was looking and feeling really more necessary than the alternative of checking out and in again. Plus, I was meeting friends for brekkie in an hour.

So, I was out all day and sort of forgot how bad it was...I bought a lovely salad nicoise that I popped in the fridge @ 4pm and was off to enjoy late-light on the Viaduct for an early evening given my pending jet-lag.

I returned at 8pm to discover that my dinner in the fridge was frozen, the temperature up way too high...I turned on the TV and discovered that the one channel I wanted to watch, TV3 - the sound was totally out of sync by 10-15 seconds. There was no bottled water, even to be billed for. I started to think that this hotel room was actually eerily cursed and the hotel itself never bothered to send management to deal with it -- only the room cleaners...occasionally.

Weary and frustrated, I pulled back the covers and lay down, the bed was actually lumpy...a fixture from another era - overused and past it's expiry. However, I fell asleep despite my dissatisfaction.I awoke with the light and decided to check out and tell the front desk of my negative bordering on horrible experience at the Copthorne HarbourCity.

I did, nicely. The employee behind the hotel desk listened as I relayed my review and then said "I'm sorry to hear that". Then he asked for my credit card to pay the bill. $149NZ dollars. No credit offer, no anything related to customer service whatsoever! Rip -off! Really awful feeling.

I could have stayed at least a dozen other CBD hotels at the same price or even less and had a better stay. My recommendation -- I have been here for you...you do not have to suffer now.
Avoid this property unless you like low-end backpacker accommodation @ real hotel prices.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, period.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HaljoHal

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We needed two rooms - the first one was a smoking room and was very smelly and there was no way we could have stayed there! Yuk!

Second was cleaner and smelt much better, but we still needed the window open for fresh air and it was consequently fairly noisy all night. All rooms face the harbour and the view is fabulous.

But the decor is tired and it's all a bit grubby, and make sure you don't get a smoking room (I didn't realise that hotels in NZ would have smoking rooms still)

I would not return.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank HilsTassie
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Very tired decor and very noisy if your room faces the harbour. Hard to sleep with the noise.
Great location though for shops and restaurants and great view from the harbourside rooms. Breakfast is fine.

Room Tip: Harbourside for view if you dont like the noise. Otherwise the other side. Higher up the better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We agree with previous comments about this hote. It is in a great location overlooking the bay, but needs a lot of money spending on it. The room we were in was in need of redecoration. The telephone point was broken off the wall and had been covered up by a small unit. The wardrobe had a sliding door, that needed someone with the strength of a giant to open it. Noise from outside was a problem, but so was the air conditioning, so you could win either way, either listen to the drunks with the window open, or close them and listen to what sounded like a 777 taking off. Yet again, similar to our experience in Rotorua, individuals are not catered for (unless you are Oriental). The duty manager (John) has a serious attitude problem when dealing with customers

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Magnetic Island, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great location, however I had a flash back to the 70's whist staying here. Service is appalling and unless you are of Asian decent it is all too hard for them. They cater to Asians and not Caucasians. Rooms are old, tired and really stuffy. Still cant get my head around the carpet in the bar toilets, yes carpet right around the bowl. I would hate to think what is soaking in it and how long it has been there. Wouldn't waste my time eating there as the food is awful, I mean how can you stuff up breakfast. I could go on and on but I wont recommend and I wont be back. I was happy the day I moved accommodation, then got stuck giving directions to the taxi driver but that is a whole other story.

Room Tip: Couldnt recommend any that are good, as all are very tired and need a facelift
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank outbackislandgirl
UK
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The view from our 11th floor room was fantastic Shame I couldn't say that about the rest of the hotel. The room was 'tired'. It needs updating. Steps in reception to the lifts with no ramps makes case lifting and disabled access difficult; this alone indicates the need for a refurbishment. The breakfast room is very cramped. The hotel is in a good location with easy access to the harbour, bars and restaurants. WiFi is NZ$25 for 24 hours. We were there for less than 48 and they tried to charge me NZ$75,!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple