“Fantastic service!!”

Ranked #52 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic service!!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I agree with number of other reviewers about the location of the hotel. it is across the road from Princes wharf. Every room faces to the harbour and has water views. We arrived on P&O cruses and disembarked at the Princes Wharf. We literally walked across the road and checked into the hotel. we didn't had to stand in line with hundred of others in cue for a taxi or drag a luggage across the down-town to hotels. Normal check in was 2pm however, we checked in at 1030am to our room right away, no extra cost, no hassles at all. The room is clean, bathroom is well presented. However, you can hear mummer of conversation from other rooms at night. I have to say the staff at the hotel are the assets to the somewhat tired hotel. Staff at the hotel make it to 4star otherwise i would only rate it 31/2 star hotel. Food is fabulous, great steak & great lamb dish. Definitely chef at the hotel is highly commended. you have access to free 20 min WiFi internet each day at the ground & 1st floor with your laptop. bar has happy hour everyday and is very good value and good selection of NZ wines.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Stayed here for a night with my boyfriend on my birthday..
When I rang to book a room, I was surprise how cheap it was compare to booking on their website. I could tell that the receptionist was new and still on training as I could hear someone on the background telling her what to do!! Not a big deal for me but she needs to work out more on being telephone friendly, polite etc!

During the night, we received two random calls!! one at around 7pm and one at around 10:30pm!!! They are both guests staying at the hotel and have been transferred to me as a mistake, not once but TWICE!! Sooo annoying how you get a call from a stranger asking for the restaurant! LOL
Seriously Copthorne hotel need to work on these stuff!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Dimboola, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Great city location with views overlooking the harbour, and the Tourist Information Centre directly opposite. Walking distance to Sky Tower, Shopping and plenty of Dining choices The restaurant meals were good, and the staff were helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and average in size. The price was reasonable, and guest parking was available.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed in Auckland twice over a 3 week period during a Geography University fieldwork visit with 2 other friends in April 2011.

The location of this hotel is superb, surely one the best places hotels for centrality in Auckland. The harbor and aqueduct (full of lovely restaurants and bars) are literally a minutes walk away, and the main roads through Auckland (including Queens Street) are no further than 3-4 minutes walk.
The rooms were what you expect from a 4 star hotel, fairly spacious, comfortable and clean beds, great views over the harbor, big televisions, clean bathrooms etc etc.
Linen was changed daily upon request and staff were friendly and helpful.
The only negative we found (and this happened twice) was that we were presented with bills to pay for our stay after we checked out. We had already paid the hotel months in advance and they were not willing to back down when we tried to prove our payment.
It took a very long (and expensive) phone call to our bank back in the U.K. to prove the payment was processed on both occasions.

The error was one thing, but the arrogance of the staff when we came to pay makes this hotel go from a 'very good' rating to an 'average' rating.
However that moment aside, I would recommend this hotel and would return again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I travelled to Auckland for the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony on 9/9/11 and stayed at the Copthorne for 2 nights. We booked this trip through a travel agent so they picked this hotel for us. The location is excellent. Our room had a wonderful view of the harbor and was close to all RWC activities. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are in definite need of an upgrade but were clean and fine for our needs. They have a great breakfast buffet and the staff is pretty friendly. It costs $25 per night to park in the underground lot which I thought was a bit excessive, but what can you do. Overall, we had a nice stay there. I would probably stay there again the next time I go to Auckland.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Excellent location with view overlooking the harbour, but the rooms are in need of upgrading, especially the bathrooms. Great buffet breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stay at this hotel regularly. It is well located, clean, and previously not bad value for money. Recently 'management' have introduced a credit card use policy of a $4 surcharge EVERYTIME you use your credit card. Having prebooked and paid on the internet (and paid the $4) I was shocked when checking out that my carpark charge ($24) was also going to incur a $4 surcharge. This represented a 16% penalty for using my credit card!

When challenged, I was told that 'management' was trying to encourage guests to pay cash. Even the staff member at the front desk found it hard to keep a straight face when coming out with this tripe!

All up, I paid 7% in credit card 'penalties' on my last visit and told them so. Their response was unhelpful and I will not be staying there again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business